LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 08:01 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I'll be able to get $13K off the MSRP for the LS500? I doubt it but it doesn't matter. The LS does not have some of the features, I ordered and which are very important to me, that the S450 has. For example, the auto pilot (or what ever you want to call it) on the S450 has it all over the LS500. What about the active lane change assist? Plus, as I indicated above, I hate that touchpad/touchscreen on the LS500. It is very distracting when driving and difficult to use. There are others. I also like the looks of the of the S450 better. It's too bad because the LS was SO awesome until about 2011 or so. Now it is no match for the S Class.

Your right, the Lexus LS500 is good competiton for the 740i and A8, but the S-Class is in a class of its own. We are looking at a preowned ‘14-‘15 S550 right for my mom. The S-Class is stately and does luxury better than the others.
Old 04-03-18, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I'll be able to get $13K off the MSRP for the LS500? I doubt it but it doesn't matter.
Perhaps not right now because its so new, but you will be able to shortly. That kind of discount is par for the course on a flagship car. In fact I was offered $18k off an S450 optioned very close to what you showed here 3 months ago before I got my LS460L.

The LS does not have some of the features, I ordered and which are very important to me, that the S450 has. For example, the auto pilot (or what ever you want to call it) on the S450 has it all over the LS500. What about the active lane change assist? Plus, as I indicated above, I hate that touchpad/touchscreen on the LS500. It is very distracting when driving and difficult to use. There are others. I also like the looks of the of the S450 better. It's too bad because the LS was SO awesome until about 2011 or so. Now it is no match for the S Class.
The S Class is more car no doubt, but its also considerably more expensive. If you like the S Class better thats fine, theres a great Mercedes forum out there to post on.

If you want a dynamic, more fun to drive car though the LS bests the S Class unless its an S63. Thats not my thing, but it is some peoples thing.

Originally Posted by highrev6
Lexus sold 1008 LS500’s in the month of March ‘18
Right on target of goal, and thats still a ramp up month. So much for "the car is not selling"
Old 04-03-18, 12:17 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

You're talking about MSRP at exactly $107,275 (includes destination charge). The price that I'm paying is $94,160 with all the options I specified. I don't give a hoot about 3D Bermester and I got the standard leather. The dealer game me a very nice deal I believe.
Right. Comparing MSRP to MSRP is the only valid comparison.

All I can say is if they're giving you 12% off of MSRP, something is seriously wrong here. Either it's not a 2018 or it's a dealers demo model. About 5% is the most you can expect off of a current-year, "in-demand" car because that's basically the margin that the manufacturers give to the dealers in the US. This is a well-documented fact. You can look up the dealers invoice yourself and do the math. Dealers don't stay in business very long when they lose 7% on every car they sell.

And no, you wouldn't get $13,000 off of an LS at 12% because at only $90,000, 12% off would be $10,800, which would still put a comparably equipped LS at $79,200 compared to your $94,160.
Old 04-03-18, 12:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In my experience in these big flagship sedans, that discount is very ordinary. Lots of factory to dealer incentives that go on top of the margin already built into the car. That discount is available on a S Class (especially an S450 which is much less in demand than the S560), 7 Series, etc with zero negotiation effort. You can get that off a special ordered car even.

Thats exactly that, they're not in demand. Demand is weak for all sedans.
Old 04-03-18, 01:33 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsc07
Right. Comparing MSRP to MSRP is the only valid comparison.

All I can say is if they're giving you 12% off of MSRP, something is seriously wrong here. Either it's not a 2018 or it's a dealers demo model. About 5% is the most you can expect off of a current-year, "in-demand" car because that's basically the margin that the manufacturers give to the dealers in the US. This is a well-documented fact. You can look up the dealers invoice yourself and do the math. Dealers don't stay in business very long when they lose 7% on every car they sell.

And no, you wouldn't get $13,000 off of an LS at 12% because at only $90,000, 12% off would be $10,800, which would still put a comparably equipped LS at $79,200 compared to your $94,160.

What I ordered is the 2018 S450 for $94,160 with all the options I mentioned. The General Sales Manager did tell me that he is selling it to me for a little below the Invoice price.

EDIT: First of all, are you sure that the LS500 would only be $90K? Secondly, even if it is, I don't think we are comparing apples with apples. The options on the 2018 S450 are much more desirable than the options on the LS500. The Driver Assistance Package alone on the S450 is enough to sway me to the S450. There are quite a few other desirables on the S450 over the LS500 as I mentioned on a previous post.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 04-03-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 01:39 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In my experience in these big flagship sedans, that discount is very ordinary. Lots of factory to dealer incentives that go on top of the margin already built into the car. That discount is available on a S Class (especially an S450 which is much less in demand than the S560), 7 Series, etc with zero negotiation effort. You can get that off a special ordered car even.

Thats exactly that, they're not in demand. Demand is weak for all sedans.
I don't think the S450 is that much less in demand than the S560. By the way, the dealer in Kansas City (3.5 hours south of me) said that the S450 is much in demand and that they would not sell me the car with the options I wanted for less than $102K. So it was an easy choice for me to go with the local dealership.
Old 04-03-18, 01:58 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Perhaps not right now because its so new, but you will be able to shortly. That kind of discount is par for the course on a flagship car. In fact I was offered $18k off an S450 optioned very close to what you showed here 3 months ago before I got my LS460L.

The S Class is more car no doubt, but its also considerably more expensive. If you like the S Class better thats fine, theres a great Mercedes forum out there to post on.

If you want a dynamic, more fun to drive car though the LS bests the S Class unless its an S63. Thats not my thing, but it is some peoples thing.

I am very much aware of the Mercedes Forum and I am a member there and have been posting.
How can you say that the LS500 is more fun to drive and is more dynamic than the S450? I totally disagree with that statement.
Old 04-03-18, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think the S450 is that much less in demand than the S560. By the way, the dealer in Kansas City (3.5 hours south of me) said that the S450 is much in demand and that they would not sell me the car with the options I wanted for less than $102K. So it was an easy choice for me to go with the local dealership.
It is, prices are much softer on the S450, dealers have way more stock of S450s, lease rates on the S450 are MUCH better. So much so that even if i think $5k of each other MSRP, an S450 leases like $200 a month less than an S560.

In fact based on my shopping your deal on the S450 is weak. I had access to an additional $5k or so off. That was cars in stock though.
Old 04-03-18, 02:29 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

It is, prices are much softer on the S450, dealers have way more stock of S450s, lease rates on the S450 are MUCH better. So much so that even if i think $5k of each other MSRP, an S450 leases like $200 a month less than an S560.

In fact based on my shopping your deal on the S450 is weak. I had access to an additional $5k or so off. That was cars in stock though.
The dealer in KC is very big and that's what I was told. Maybe they are lying when they said the S450 was actually more in demand than the S560. I purchased my 2014 S550 4 years ago almost to the day from this dealer because they gave me the best discount. The dealer where I live had one S450 on the lot and it was the base model. I obviously special ordered it.
Old 04-03-18, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The dealer in KC is very big and that's what I was told. Maybe they are lying when they said the S450 was actually more in demand than the S560. I purchased my 2014 S550 4 years ago almost to the day from this dealer because they gave me the best discount. The dealer where I live had one S450 on the lot and it was the base model. I obviously special ordered it.
Based on what I have seen and what I’ve read on MBWorld they’re not being honest.
Old 04-03-18, 02:46 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

What I ordered is the 2018 S450 for $94,160 with all the options I mentioned. The General Sales Manager did tell me that he is selling it to me for a little below the Invoice price.

EDIT: First of all, are you sure that the LS500 would only be $90K? Secondly, even if it is, I don't think we are comparing apples with apples. The options on the 2018 S450 are much more desirable than the options on the LS500. The Driver Assistance Package alone on the S450 is enough to sway me to the S450. There are quite a few other desirables on the S450 over the LS500 as I mentioned on a previous post.
It sounds like more than a little below invoice price, but OK.

Yes, my LS500 is priced at 89,919. The dealer is actually throwing me 3,000 off because I ordered it without all the driver-assist crap, but they screwed up the order and didn't catch it until 2 months later so they're giving it to me for the inconvenience. So my price is 86,919. Should be ready for pickup on Thursday.

EXTERIOR: EMINENT WHITE PEARL
INTERIOR: PARCHMENT LEATHER WITH ARTWOOD ORGANIC TRIM
  • INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE

$3,730*
  • LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM+ A

$3,000*
  • MARK LEVINSON® 23-SPEAKER, 2,400-WATT QLI REFERENCE SURROUND SOUND AUDIO SYSTEM*

$1,940*
  • ADAPTIVE VARIABLE AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM WITH RAPID HEIGHT FUNCTION

$1,500*
  • 24-INCH HEADS-UP DISPLAY

$1,220*
  • PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR*

$800*
  • ART WOOD ORGANIC, ART WOOD HERRINGBONE OR LASER SPECIAL PREMIUM WOOD TRIMS

$800*
  • HEATED WOOD- AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL

$410*
  • PREMIUM LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM*

$300*
  • CARPET TRUNK MAT

$99*
  • ALLOY WHEEL LOCKS*

$80*
  • CARGO NET

$65*
  • KEY GLOVES*

$20*
  • 19-INCH SPLIT-10-SPOKE WHEELS*

$-40*
  • DELIVERY, PROCESSING & HANDLING FEE

$995
Old 04-03-18, 04:10 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dsc07
It sounds like more than a little below invoice price, but OK.

Yes, my LS500 is priced at 89,919. The dealer is actually throwing me 3,000 off because I ordered it without all the driver-assist crap, but they screwed up the order and didn't catch it until 2 months later so they're giving it to me for the inconvenience. So my price is 86,919. Should be ready for pickup on Thursday.

EXTERIOR: EMINENT WHITE PEARL
INTERIOR: PARCHMENT LEATHER WITH ARTWOOD ORGANIC TRIM
  • INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE

$3,730*
  • LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM+ A

$3,000*
  • MARK LEVINSON® 23-SPEAKER, 2,400-WATT QLI REFERENCE SURROUND SOUND AUDIO SYSTEM*

$1,940*
  • ADAPTIVE VARIABLE AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM WITH RAPID HEIGHT FUNCTION

$1,500*
  • 24-INCH HEADS-UP DISPLAY

$1,220*
  • PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR*

$800*
  • ART WOOD ORGANIC, ART WOOD HERRINGBONE OR LASER SPECIAL PREMIUM WOOD TRIMS

$800*
  • HEATED WOOD- AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL

$410*
  • PREMIUM LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM*

$300*
  • CARPET TRUNK MAT

$99*
  • ALLOY WHEEL LOCKS*

$80*
  • CARGO NET

$65*
  • KEY GLOVES*

$20*
  • 19-INCH SPLIT-10-SPOKE WHEELS*

$-40*
  • DELIVERY, PROCESSING & HANDLING FEE

$995
I think it is about $2500 below the invoice price.
So you're saying that I got a really good deal while SW17LS thinks it's not that good of a deal. I agree with you in this case. However, I disagree with you about what you call the "driver assistance crap". At least for the S450, the Driver Assistance Package is a major reason why I decided to buy the new car over my S550.
Old 04-03-18, 06:04 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Unhappy

So you're saying that I got a really good deal while SW17LS thinks it's not that good of a deal. I agree with you in this case. However, I disagree with you about what you call the "driver assistance crap". At least for the S450, the Driver Assistance Package is a major reason why I decided to buy the new car over my S550.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's lousy on the S450, or the LS 500 for that matter. I'm just saying I have no interest in any of that self-driving technology so it's all "Crap" to me. I've been driving for almost 35 years now and believe it or not, I've never needed help staying in my own lane and I've never almost hit a pedestrian crossing in front of me. Don't need it, don't want it, but I'm getting it for free because the dealership made a mistake on my order. I checked the manual and it says I can shut it all off, so I'm ok with having it. Will probably help with the resale value when I'm done with the car.

Anyway, enjoy your 450. I hope I enjoy my 500, but we shall see. I don't know if I'll ever get used to that spindle grill.
Old 04-03-18, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My experience was 3 months ago. It varies month to month. 3 months ago I was able to get way more off than that, but like I said that was a car in inventory not an order and incentives may have changed too.
Old 04-03-18, 11:22 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Because I’m not way off. There are numerous material and finish differences between the interior you can get in the 740or even the 750 and the interior in the 760. It’s not about features it’s about the finish of the interior. Go sit in them and see for yourself.
It is very apparent that you are passionate about the Lexus brand, to the point where in some cases willfully ignore facts that can be quickly verified via a Google search.

I am not interested in winning an Internet argument, but in pursuit of the truth and persevering the informational quality of this wonderful forum, please clarify for me the following:

1. Is the optional Individual Full Merino Leather on the 740i somehow a different grade of leather than the also optional Individual Full Merino Leather on the M760i? Please provide references.

2. Are the coverage areas of the Full Merino Leather somehow different between the 740i and the M760i? If so, please provide screenshots of the configuration or dealer order guide indicating such differences.

3. Do they have the same stitching and quilting pattern?

I actually shopped the 7-series myself and did my homework.

Quick Reply: This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS