LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS or Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
I think this thread is convincing me more and more to look at 2019 ES or GS
Why?

Having gotten used to the LS, I wouldn’t be able
to go back to an ES certainly and not a GS either. I tried, I drove several very highly optioned 5 Series and E Classes and just couldn’t get past how small they felt, and how cheap they felt in certain ways. With the ES no way I could enjoy the substantial differences In power train and interior quality.
Old 04-11-18, 08:21 AM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Why?

to go back to an ES certainly and not a GS either. I tried, I drove several very highly optioned 5 Series and E Classes and just couldn’t get past how small they felt, and how cheap they felt in certain ways. With the ES no way I could enjoy the substantial differences In power train and interior quality.
I drove an ES before upgrading to an LS. I was hoping that the ES would work for me so I wouldn't have to pay extra for an LS, but there is an apparent difference between the two in terms of comfort and refinement.
Old 04-11-18, 08:45 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Why?

Originally Posted by franklexus
I drove an ES before upgrading to an LS. I was hoping that the ES would work for me so I wouldn't have to pay extra for an LS, but there is an apparent difference between the two in terms of comfort and refinement.
I couldn't agree more with both of you. I get an ES loaner every 6 weeks when I drop my LS off for service. It's amazing how much nicer my LS rides, even at 264,000 miles and needing new struts and bushings. I had a '97 ES 300, and the ES's of recent years can't touch even that car for comfort and ride quality.
Old 04-11-18, 09:41 AM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
I couldn't agree more with both of you. I get an ES loaner every 6 weeks when I drop my LS off for service. It's amazing how much nicer my LS rides, even at 264,000 miles and needing new struts and bushings. I had a '97 ES 300, and the ES's of recent years can't touch even that car for comfort and ride quality.
I absolutely agree! I rode in a family member's 4th generation ES 300 (think it was a 2001 model) and the car was absolutely plush and whisper quiet. When I got a 2013 ES, it was surprisingly unrefined. I can only guess that Lexus intentionally wanted to create a larger gulf between the ES and the LS.
Old 04-12-18, 07:04 AM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
I completely agree. It just amazes me how much better riding my 2013 LS460 is when I get it back from the dealer compared to the brand new ES they give me for the loaner. The ES rides pretty nicely, until I get back into the LS when all the differences are immediately noticeable.
Old 04-12-18, 07:13 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

that is a base version of the model S, which is most likely slower than the LS500 if it was a higher tier i would say go for the model S
Old 04-12-18, 06:33 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
that is a base version of the model S, which is most likely slower than the LS500 if it was a higher tier i would say go for the model S
Even the base model S is faster than the LS500. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds.
Old 04-14-18, 05:36 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Even the base model S is faster than the LS500. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds.
True. But keep in mind this is the LS forum. As can read, with some posters more than others, you're going to get a lot of bias and defensiveness. The MB forums will have the same, but have a car that Mercedes has committed to lead the segment, and it does.

Lexus has put the LS on the back burner for years, not trying to excel in their large sedan arena, and rightfully so, the SUV sales are huge, and that's where the money is now a days. Many, myself included, hoped they hadn't neglected the very aged 2007 generation LS. And since waiting so long, was hopeful for the LS500, which is very pretty in fit in finish, by many accounts, falls very short, and tech still stuck in flip phone era. There IS no option in my opinion like the LS reliability and German formula to handling/ride feel. Lexus knows it doesn't compete with the S. Genesis is probably closer balance, but has it's own shortcomings, but Hyundai more committed to grow in this (large sedan) segment than Lexus is. No perfect car, but many good ones to choose from, which a blessing to have.
Old 04-14-18, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you driven a G90? The G90 has no tech advantage over the LS500 at all. The tech interface on the G90 is exactly what I had in my 2015 Kia Sedona, just controlled with a **** and widescreen. It’s fine, but not more advanced.

The space and driving experience is more what I like out of a car, but from a tech perspective there is nothing special there.
Old 04-14-18, 07:37 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Have you driven a G90? The G90 has no tech advantage over the LS500 at all. The tech interface on the G90 is exactly what I had in my 2015 Kia Sedona, just controlled with a **** and widescreen. It’s fine, but not more advanced.

The space and driving experience is more what I like out of a car, but from a tech perspective there is nothing special there.
Yea, have driven it and friend with one has shown it around. Hyundai Blue Link is a lot better than Lexus' product. Google maps, Many other advanced features that are up to date. Runs smooth, fast, voice commands actually work. Still no android auto or CarPlay as in their other offerings, but coming in 2019. Agree, that the space and experience is more to my personal liking as well.
Old 04-14-18, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kellens
Yea, have driven it and friend with one has shown it around. Hyundai Blue Link is a lot better than Lexus' product. Google maps, Many other advanced features that are up to date. Runs smooth, fast, voice commands actually work. Still no android auto or CarPlay as in their other offerings, but coming in 2019. Agree, that the space and experience is more to my personal liking as well.
Google maps on the G90? Not on the G90 I drove. A quick Google provides no mention of Google Maps in Hyundai's BlueLink. Hyundai uses NavTech GPS just like Lexus. What advanced features specifically that are more up to date than the system in the LS500?

I find nothing about that system significantly more up to date than whats in my LS460 let alone the LS500.
Old 04-14-18, 01:53 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Google maps on the G90? Not on the G90 I drove. A quick Google provides no mention of Google Maps in Hyundai's BlueLink. Hyundai uses NavTech GPS just like Lexus. What advanced features specifically that are more up to date than the system in the LS500?

I find nothing about that system significantly more up to date than whats in my LS460 let alone the LS500.
Owner bias maybe. And honestly if you like your system best, then it is the best for you. Toyota/Lexus slowest and most 'purposefully crippled' systems in my opinion, so far, but Toyota recognizing it and promising Apple and ability to add address in Avalon with touch screen on the go.

G90 my friend has with Bluelink has Google Maps, unsure if he download or such, it has a more robust app the Lexus enform. It runs fast. Not fanciest, but reliable and fast for what it does. Can do most operations on the go, and it's voice recognition is fast and less hokey, more like Siri. Less menus hidden under menus. Here's some articles on comparisons below, but is opinion based. Interesting how Toyota and Lexus score differently, and a very similar system. Not sure makers supply the 'guts' information to their systems. But I don't argue car owners happy with their car think theirs is 'better'. I'd be happiest if the screen just showed what was on my smartphone. I know there's add on's for that for Lexus but requires a lot of manipulation and wire cutting. Not for faint at heart.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/b...inment-system/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...y-brand-guide/

Last edited by kellens; 04-14-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 08:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kellens
Owner bias maybe. And honestly if you like your system best, then it is the best for you. Toyota/Lexus slowest and most 'purposefully crippled' systems in my opinion, so far, but Toyota recognizing it and promising Apple and ability to add address in Avalon with touch screen on the go.
Having had both systems, I find them very similar. I like the Lexus system just because I have had it for so long its very familiar, but I will certainly cede that BMW, Mercedes and Audi have far better systems, but BlueLink/UVO is not more advanced than the Lexus system in any way.

G90 my friend has with Bluelink has Google Maps, unsure if he download or such, it has a more robust app the Lexus enform. It runs fast. Not fanciest, but reliable and fast for what it does. Can do most operations on the go, and it's voice recognition is fast and less hokey, more like Siri. Less menus hidden under menus. Here's some articles on comparisons below, but is opinion based. Interesting how Toyota and Lexus score differently, and a very similar system. Not sure makers supply the 'guts' information to their systems. But I don't argue car owners happy with their car think theirs is 'better'. I'd be happiest if the screen just showed what was on my smartphone. I know there's add on's for that for Lexus but requires a lot of manipulation and wire cutting. Not for faint at heart.
I am 99% certain the G90 does NOT have Google Maps. The one I drove had the same map interface my Kia Sedona had, and all the menu systems and layouts were the same, down to identical steering wheel buttons and the same menu system and display in between the gauges.

Here are some pictures of the G90's navigation, as you can see it is clearly not Google Maps:

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-14-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 05:37 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Having had both systems, I find them very similar. I like the Lexus system just because I have had it for so long its very familiar, but I will certainly cede that BMW, Mercedes and Audi have far better systems, but BlueLink/UVO is not more advanced than the Lexus system in any way.

I am 99% certain the G90 does NOT have Google Maps. The one I drove had the same map interface my Kia Sedona had, and all the menu systems and layouts were the same, down to identical steering wheel buttons and the same menu system and display in between the gauges.
True, in your pics, does not have Google Maps and Google assistant, it's showing the built in system, which I must say looks better than Lexus IMO. The new Avalon looks nicer though, so there is hope. My friends G90 and one I tested, had it downloaded. I'm 100% sure. And that you think the 2007 era LS or LS500 has infotainment up to the Korean's offering is your opinion to have. My dad is convinced his Motoroz RaZr is nicer than the iPhone X. Each welcome to their opinion. Using both, most disagree with him, and you. Genesis/Hyundai has a more up to date and thought out system, faster, better control, less purposely crippled when the car is in motion. Back to topic, I would propose the Genesis and the Lexus/Toyota tech products are behind the Tesla. Both different vehicles but with a similar market of those who insist on a sedan with money to afford it, but the LS hasn't gotten so much love, not a money maker for Lexus/Toyota.

I sure like the concept of better interior fit and finish Lexus went for, but wish they tapped into the <60 crowd which Tesla goes for with cutting edge technology, AND kept the LS460 silkier ride and interior space. So few of these vehicles left, though Tesla is pretty smooth on it's air suspension. I am hopeful that Lexus will play catch up in tech and refresh the LS ahead of schedule to do this, it's ready already. It seems Toyota making strides with entune on their side, with promises it's coming. It should (IMO) have started with the LS500, which most reviews say it's infotainment went backwards, incorporating seat positions and other items deep in the lame software of the enform. The all new ES drops April 25th, and likely first glimpse to see if Lexus can get up to date more with it's offering in a vehicle that sells well, and makes them money.

Last edited by kellens; 04-15-18 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 05:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think your friend must have had a system installed to allow Google maps on his G90 like you can get for the G90, or he was running Android Auto or something. My searching around found they do sell such systems for Hyundai/Genesis and the G90 specifically. There are no “downloadable” totally different nav programs.

Stop trying to paint me as some sort of rube when it comes to technology. I’m 36 years old and I work with technology every day. You hate the Lexus we get it, but you aren’t being objective here.

I’ve had both systems, and they are very similar. BlueLink/UVO is just as crippled when moving as Enform (as is the uConnect in my Pacifica). The processor is faster than what was in my older Lexus cars but not what’s in my 2017 which is much better in that regard, and not what is in the LS500 I tested. Yes my LS dates back to 2007 as a chassis, but the infotainment system is not from 2007.

Perhaps the menus are somewhat better organized, but as a system as a whole it’s very similar.

Quick Reply: LS or Tesla Model S