LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Doug DeMuro's review of the LS 500h

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 12:11 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Really?!?!? I don't see that at all from the time I've spent in LS500s.

I'd encourage you to check out a non F-Sport.
I don't know man I'm picky like that when it comes to small stuff I'm also dissapointed in steering wheel buttons, they look like true anodized brushed aliminium but instead they are made out of some plastic composite.

BTW I forgot to mention another thing I truly love about it and that's touchpad infotainment! Lexus did improve a lot and LS500 is my favorite infotainment to date. I always believed touchpad in combination with a scroll wheel is the way to go as touchscreen alternative and I can't believe Lexus was the only one to pick up the idea. Back in Mitsubishi day we've designed something like this only as a concept and of course Mitsu was never going to pick it up (after all they actually did with current Eclipse Cross) but I was expecting some of the premium guys to come up with something similar. Nope, only Lexus did. I liked the implementation in RC but I do love it in 5LS while I think UX will be my favorite as they have finally put complementary scroll wheels next to it. I also have a hint that Acura touchpad will be proper experience. But yeah so far LS500 has the best infotainment in my opinion, car is very smooth sailing so its very easy to glance through the screen with a pad as you drive and number of options you get to adjust is more than enough all laid out in semi-logical order unlike Mercedes Benz clustermess. Audi MMI is close second as I was never a fan of highly praised iDrive.
Old 04-28-18, 04:36 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
I don't know man I'm picky like that when it comes to small stuff I'm also dissapointed in steering wheel buttons, they look like true anodized brushed aliminium but instead they are made out of some plastic composite.

BTW I forgot to mention another thing I truly love about it and that's touchpad infotainment! Lexus did improve a lot and LS500 is my favorite infotainment to date. I always believed touchpad in combination with a scroll wheel is the way to go as touchscreen alternative and I can't believe Lexus was the only one to pick up the idea. Back in Mitsubishi day we've designed something like this only as a concept and of course Mitsu was never going to pick it up (after all they actually did with current Eclipse Cross) but I was expecting some of the premium guys to come up with something similar. Nope, only Lexus did. I liked the implementation in RC but I do love it in 5LS while I think UX will be my favorite as they have finally put complementary scroll wheels next to it. I also have a hint that Acura touchpad will be proper experience. But yeah so far LS500 has the best infotainment in my opinion, car is very smooth sailing so its very easy to glance through the screen with a pad as you drive and number of options you get to adjust is more than enough all laid out in semi-logical order unlike Mercedes Benz clustermess. Audi MMI is close second as I was never a fan of highly praised iDrive.
You, my friend, are in the minority. The great majority of the test drivers and people in general hate the touch screen/touchpad. Quite a few people say that it is down right dangerous when driving because it's so difficult to use and make adjustments and takes your attention off the road. I think the S Class system is far superior. I owned 2 LS's in the past but gave up on them when the new generation S-Class was released in 2014.
Old 04-28-18, 04:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I haven’t tried out the new touchpad in the LS but have used the one in the NX. I found it great and super easy so I don’t get all the hate. I don’t like touchscreens and find the remote touch in my GS to be totally sufficient but I really liked the NX touchpad interface.
Old 04-28-18, 05:03 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
You, my friend, are in the minority. The great majority of the test drivers and people in general hate the touch screen/touchpad. Quite a few people say that it is down right dangerous when driving because it's so difficult to use and make adjustments and takes your attention off the road. I think the S Class system is far superior. I owned 2 LS's in the past but gave up on them when the new generation S-Class was released in 2014.
I think your comment hit the nail on the head - "test drivers". Like anything else that's new, you have to get used to it. Listen to someone who's used it for a month, or even a couple of weeks, and I think you'll get a completely different opinion.
Old 04-28-18, 06:28 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Nice video, but some of the "cool" features he emphasized are plain dumb IMO.
- In the HUD, I cannot imagine the purpose of displaying the Stop sign icon in the graphics. The driver should be looking out the windshield at the actual stop sign, not at their HUD!
- The other HUD feature of showing direction of cross-traffic in the street ahead is downright silly. The driver should actually be looking out the car at the actual movement of traffic rather than their HUD. I understand the logic of RCTA, but not in front of the driver!
Clearly, you've never driven with a HUD, nor do you understand it's purpose. The whole point of even having a HUD is that it is always in your field of vision while you're looking out the windshield!! When something pops up on it like a red stop sign or a flashing yellow arrow, it alerts you that something is there that you might have missed. You seem to think it's purpose is to tell you when it's safe to proceed. The whole purpose is to alert you when it's not safe to proceed.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (04-28-18)
Old 04-28-18, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I have driven many cars with HUDs, I personally don’t care for them.
Old 04-29-18, 07:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Command is a combination of touchpad and scroll wheel isn't it? Except that it relies mostly on the scroll wheel as navigation interface while touchpad is flick gesture based but it can act as proper touchpad. My only complaint is the amount about MB infotainment is cramming the screen with too many options left and right with no separation, like infinite scroll screen. It's extensive almost as Lexus infotainment which is really good more options the better but it needs a bit more separation.
Old 04-29-18, 11:45 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Clearly, you've never driven with a HUD, nor do you understand it's purpose. The whole point of even having a HUD is that it is always in your field of vision while you're looking out the windshield!! When something pops up on it like a red stop sign or a flashing yellow arrow, it alerts you that something is there that you might have missed. You seem to think it's purpose is to tell you when it's safe to proceed. The whole purpose is to alert you when it's not safe to proceed.
Clearly, you missed my point . It's great to read that you are enjoying your new LS500 and experiencing all of the nice features including the HUD. I wasn't questioning the purpose of HUDs. I was merely questioning the inclusion of information that will overload and distract the driver. I have not driven the LS500, but the FCTA and stop sign information displayed on the HUD (as seen in the video) seems like overkill to me.