LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Run-flats vs. standard tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 09:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DAV2149
And in the era of COVID if you request a tow from either Lexus Roadside or AAA you are not allow to ride with the driver or even sit in your car while it's being towed. I had to pay $125 to be flat-bedded by a private company to the nearest Lexus dealer and thankfully I was allowed to be a passenger in the cab of the tow. I was 60 miles from home and had no one to come and get me. My run flat (Bridgestone) was completely ruined .
Its too bad. None of this would have happened if there was a full size spare.
The following users liked this post:
Lubo2021 (02-11-22)
Old 08-22-20, 11:33 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

When a runflat goes bad, it usually can't be fixed; it must be replaced, and one of the problems in the early days of runflats, when I had them on my SC430, was that runflats were rare and not kept on hand at most places. A problem on the road, especially away from an urban center and especially on a weekend meant a very long delay to get a new tire for the car. I don't know how things are now in that regard, but I felt better when I got standard tires on the car; I added a spare to have in the car when I left town.
And, unlike an LS, that SC convertible had a pretty small trunk.
Old 08-24-20, 06:30 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
When a runflat goes bad, it usually can't be fixed; it must be replaced, and one of the problems in the early days of runflats, when I had them on my SC430, was that runflats were rare and not kept on hand at most places. A problem on the road, especially away from an urban center and especially on a weekend meant a very long delay to get a new tire for the car. I don't know how things are now in that regard, but I felt better when I got standard tires on the car; I added a spare to have in the car when I left town.
And, unlike an LS, that SC convertible had a pretty small trunk.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226

Runflats are now able to be repaired.

There are tons of used runflat tires for sale on eBay for $50 each!
Old 08-26-20, 09:07 PM
kimjin19
Driver School Candidate

Received 55 Likes on 11 Posts

I have replaced the OME Bridgestone tires as Michelin pilot sport 4s. Hugely improved the comfort and road noise. I would say, to replace these run-flat tires are a must-do step once one chooses the LS500 cuz its suspensions and handling are really outsanding.
Lubo2021 (02-11-22)
Old 08-27-20, 07:05 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

KIM is correct. About 18 years ago, I replaced the runflats on my SC430 with Michelin Pilot Sports, as did many other SC owners. The difference is dramatic and noticeable and quite an improvement.
I don't know if today's runflats are improved over the ones provided back then, but clearly this is still a highly recommended move.
(PS: it's "OEM" not OME: "Original Equipment Manufacturer.")
Old 08-31-20, 05:50 AM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced my run flats with some Yokohama's. The run flats were horrible. I have hearing aides and it sounded as if I was driving a front loader the whole time, regardless of road type. As soon as I drove off with the new tires, it was as if someone put Bose quiet comfort headphones on my ears. There was very little road noise; the cabin was actually enjoyable to be in. I could hear people in the rear talking clearly without them having to lean forward or me asking them to repeat, whereas I could not before. The speaker sound actually could be lowered, incredibly by a substantial amount because of the reduced road noise. I'm satisfied. If I can't ride in the cabin of the vehicle of the Tow driver then that's just the way it is, cross that bridge when it happens. Also considering I was able to buy 4 new tires, for the price of 2 run flats, I'd say I've got a good savings for an Uber if needed.
Lubo2021 (02-11-22)
Old 08-31-20, 02:13 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I am also on the MB forum with the 15 S550 I bought used 18 mos ago. General consensus is: Harsher ride on run flats due to stiffer sidewalls; Better ride on smaller wheels (one member who has had several MBs only gets 18" rims); Today's run flats are better than older versions; Much griping re no spare tire. I have 20" wheels/staggered sizes and strongly considering non run flats when I need new tires. In my case with the 20" wheels, tires are summer tires as they apparently don't make all season run flats in my rear tire size of 275/35/R20.
Old 11-28-20, 07:18 AM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced run-flat Bridgestone to Michelin PRIMACY TOUR A/S -what a difference! Feel sorry for those who continue driving run-flat and missing the luxury ride
Old 11-29-20, 08:32 AM
Mitleider
Driver

Received 81 Likes on 29 Posts

This is a worthwhile thread! Thank you for starting and all the inputs. Run flat tires have been awful in my experience. Two tires with under 1,000 miles picked up a nail in the tread not the sidewall and had to be junked at ~$400/apiece, dealers indicated plug/patch not an option. And I agree with all, ride is awful, banged and thumped on irregular pavement. Avoid!
Lubo2021 (02-11-22)
Old 02-05-21, 10:27 AM
JackMac
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Touchscreen in use

I now have a 2021. The touchscreen is not as bad looking as in the pictures and worth it for the improved performance.
Lexus eventually should redesign the whole dash it make it look more in place.
Old 02-05-21, 09:10 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitleider
This is a worthwhile thread! Thank you for starting and all the inputs. Run flat tires have been awful in my experience. Two tires with under 1,000 miles picked up a nail in the tread not the sidewall and had to be junked at ~$400/apiece, dealers indicated plug/patch not an option. And I agree with all, ride is awful, banged and thumped on irregular pavement. Avoid!
Just buy a used one from eBay for $50!
Old 03-12-21, 02:26 PM
pshunt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped out the run flats on my SC430 and it made a huge difference in the ride!
Old 03-14-21, 10:51 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default F-sport vs non f-sport with air suspension

Im guessing the air suspension feels very different than fsport models. I have not driven a non f-sport with air, so maybe just changing a tire might be barely noticeable
Old 03-28-21, 04:11 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 130 Posts

Have an LS460 with air suspension and I swapped out the Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT's for Pirelli Cinturato P7 and it was a night and day difference in ride quality and plushness.
Old 05-04-21, 07:21 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LILEVO
Have an LS460 with air suspension and I swapped out the Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT's for Pirelli Cinturato P7 and it was a night and day difference in ride quality and plushness.
Looking at the Pirelli Cinturato P7s. How are they holding up?

Quick Reply: Run-flats vs. standard tires