LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Run-flats vs. standard tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 05:54 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Run-flats vs. standard tires

As I've stated previously, the ride in the LS 500 is just a little stiff for my taste, even in comfort mode. As this is my first experience with run-flats, does anyone know how much the ride will soften if I swap out the run-flats with standard tires? Not looking for just theory here, does anyone have any real experience with this? I've read a bunch about the new cars being specifically tuned for run flats so you shouldn't do it, but the owners manual says it's OK, so I'm willing to give it a shot if the results are good.

The comfort mode in the 500 is about the same as the sport mode in the 460L. If I could get that down from the 460 "sport" ride to the 460 "normal" ride, I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-18, 06:49 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not tried swapping out the tires, but I recall that dropping the tire pressure on my LS 460 from 36 (dealer set) to 30 (or even below) made a huge difference for me. Perhaps you could try that first before swapping out the tires?
Old 05-16-18, 11:17 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be MOST interested to hear from someone who has changed out the run-flats, their experience with the new LS, and what their solution was to a spare. I travel enough distances that the little run flat kit doesn't seem to make the cut. I also need a trunk to some degree. Unsure how extensive the mod would be to allow the LS500 to cary even an emergency spare. Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-18-18, 07:34 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

It looks like LS 500 has space underneath the trunk for a spare. Maybe an owner can check if the space underneath the trunk is empty by removing the splash panel.
Old 05-18-18, 05:28 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by john341
It looks like LS 500 has space underneath the trunk for a spare. Maybe an owner can check if the space underneath the trunk is empty by removing the splash panel.
I believe that's where the battery sits.
The following users liked this post:
BuyingLX (11-11-20)
Old 05-18-18, 05:45 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Run flats are noticeably harsher. At least in my car.
Old 05-18-18, 08:45 PM
john341
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dsc07
I believe that's where the battery sits.
What i meant was outside the car and between the mufflers. Is there space where the black splash shield is?
Old 05-18-18, 08:50 PM
john341
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Run flats are noticeably harsher. At least in my car.
I agree. When I was purchasing tires for my es300h 3 weeks ago; there was an older gentlemen in front of me trying to get brand new non run flat tires for his S550. He was complaining about ride quality.
Old 05-19-18, 05:51 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out the run flats on my 92 SC430 7 years ago and what a difference, it was a night and day difference in ride quality. The down side is driving without a spare but I said when was the last time I had a flat, and if I did I have AAA.
Old 05-23-18, 06:26 AM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

What good is AAA if you have a flat but no spare? You would use them for a tow?
Old 05-25-18, 03:27 PM
Dick32
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replace run flats

Originally Posted by dsc07
As I've stated previously, the ride in the LS 500 is just a little stiff for my taste, even in comfort mode. As this is my first experience with run-flats, does anyone know how much the ride will soften if I swap out the run-flats with standard tires? Not looking for just theory here, does anyone have any real experience with this? I've read a bunch about the new cars being specifically tuned for run flats so you shouldn't do it, but the owners manual says it's OK, so I'm willing to give it a shot if the results are good.

The comfort mode in the 500 is about the same as the sport mode in the 460L. If I could get that down from the 460 "sport" ride to the 460 "normal" ride, I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks in advance.
Purchased a 2018 LS 500 in April. After 500 miles replaced the Bridgestone run flats with Michelins. What a difference. Softer ride and less road noise. My last car was a 2008 LS 460 with Michelins and it had a better ride then the new car with run flats. My wife has a SC 430 and three years ago I replaced the run flats with Michelins. She really noticed the ride difference. In case we pick up a nail I put a 12 volt air compressor ($17) and a tire repair kit, the kind that has rubber plugs to insert into nail hole, in the truck of each car. Remember you can only drive 75 miles on a run flat then most of the time the tire has to be replaced at $400, Sold the Bridgestones on Craigslist.for $450.
Trust me you will be a happy camper if you replace the run flats
Dick32
The following 2 users liked this post by Dick32:
EWDavid (05-17-21), Lubo2021 (02-11-22)
Old 05-26-18, 08:53 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Just swapped out the Dunlop run flats with Yokahama Advantage Sport A/S. Wow! What a difference. Comfort mode is back! The Yokahama's are significantly more quiet to boot.
Old 08-16-20, 11:03 PM
xuanling88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dick32
Purchased a 2018 LS 500 in April. After 500 miles replaced the Bridgestone run flats with Michelins. What a difference. Softer ride and less road noise. My last car was a 2008 LS 460 with Michelins and it had a better ride then the new car with run flats. My wife has a SC 430 and three years ago I replaced the run flats with Michelins. She really noticed the ride difference. In case we pick up a nail I put a 12 volt air compressor ($17) and a tire repair kit, the kind that has rubber plugs to insert into nail hole, in the truck of each car. Remember you can only drive 75 miles on a run flat then most of the time the tire has to be replaced at $400, Sold the Bridgestones on Craigslist.for $450.
Trust me you will be a happy camper if you replace the run flats
Dick32

hi hi
I totally agree with you on the runflat tires lifespan after punctured.

Would like to ask is your wheel alignment straight and unaffected after the Michelin replacement? Suspension all ok?

im considering of replacing my Bridgestone run flats with Michelin Pilot Sports 4 or 4S. Only worried about alignment.
Old 08-20-20, 06:44 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Those with questions about the runflats might take a look at the first two or three years of posts in the SC430 forum. That was one of the first cars with standard runflat tires (I had one of the first ones in Ohio). After about a year, when the runflats began to wear down, owners started to replace them with standard tires (mostly Michelin Pilot Sport) and universally reported a much softer ride and far better handling. My dealer said he seldom had an instance where the owner replaced the runflats with new runflats.
I have only driven a new LS on a test drive, so I have no experience with it for the tire discussion, but based on what I am reading here, it seems that the same problems that the little SC had with runflats are manifest in the larger LS, which is not surprising as runflat tires by their nature are very hard tires with reinforced inflexible sidewalls. Moving to conventional tires will always show an improvement in ride and performance, I would think.
Old 08-21-20, 04:19 PM
DAV2149
Driver School Candidate

And in the era of COVID if you request a tow from either Lexus Roadside or AAA you are not allow to ride with the driver or even sit in your car while it's being towed. I had to pay $125 to be flat-bedded by a private company to the nearest Lexus dealer and thankfully I was allowed to be a passenger in the cab of the tow. I was 60 miles from home and had no one to come and get me. My run flat (Bridgestone) was completely ruined .

Quick Reply: Run-flats vs. standard tires