LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS500/500h/500F Ownership Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 05:09 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts
Default LS500/500h/500F Ownership Experiences

A few of us thought there should a thread for us owners of this amazing vehicle to share our experiences, tips, thoughts about various things the new LS models offer, and really benefiting from each others' respective ownership experiences. So here it is; I welcome all of you owners of the new LS to chime in with your sharing. Cheers!

We have owned the Lexus LS for 28 years, first with the 2000 LS 400, then the 2007 LS 460, and now the new LS 500. We absolutely love the Autumn Shimmer color, and even more the Safety+ features, the HUD, the front and back seats, and so many other distinctive Lexus features. And most of, despite all of those negative noises about the ride and quietness that previous LS models used to offer and this new one doesn't, we have experienced nothing but better offerings in terms of ride quality and quietness inside the vehicle. In fact, when we cruise down the highway with the ML sound on some pleasant Jazz tones, we can hardly hear anything else. The outside traffic just seems to silently flow to the back. That's it for now; more to share after we have enjoyed more of this car going forward.

Autumn Shimmer LS 500 with Parchment Interior
The following 2 users liked this post by shinonclub:
JackMac (06-04-18), john341 (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 08:15 PM
JackMac
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for starting a clean "thread for LS 500 owners" rather than those who have not yet or say the will never purchase a LS500.

I have yet to get over 1,000 miles but I have now adapted to the changes from my LS460.
I have yet to get back to the dealer to ask them to simplify the interior beep when backing up to a single beep, but that is all that is on my list so far. I appreciated that the forum told me it was available.
I have commented elsewhere that the interior space in front is fine for me, and that the ride, admittedly on air suspension is excellent. The interior and exterior is a big step up from the past LS models. My comparison is with our former 2016 LS 460 not it's completion. I have driven and been a passenger in all the others and don't want to take a reliability chance with them. Luxury is not having issues.

The pushing a park button took about a week to adjust to. Yes other models have has this, as well as Toyota. I did note that in the past, when I put the 460 in park, and then released the brake before turning off the car, the car would move just a bit. With the new 500 it remains locked in place which I appreciate.

When putting the car in reverse when I first start the car, the revs are such that I have to carefully release the brake, or it will jump back a bit.

I have turned off the automatic retraction of the driver's seat when exiting the car. I allows for full, medium, or none. I chose none as the seat initially went so far back that it made it more difficult to get out of the car.

With Navigation, I had difficulty figuring out how to cancel a destination, and now just use the voice recognition to do that. Yes I wish I could have my passenger entering addresses when moving, but the voice recognition is a decent work around. I have never relied on voice recognition in the past as it really wasn't that good. Now it is, as it is on most current vehicles.

I have lane assist on, and have learned that the system does not function until going faster than about 28 mph. That make sense. It will vibrate the steering wheel when going over a line or stripe if I have not signaled a lane change, It does not seem to feel to aim the wheel back, but perhaps I have to have cruise control on for that. Any one have advice on that?

I really appreciate the extension of the seat belt receptor. On the 460 if a passenger was wearing a coat sometimes neither they or me could click the belt in. Not an issue with the 500.

My wife has commented that she thinks the steering wheel is "looser" than the 460. It doesn't seem that way to me, but maybe it is?

She also prefers to only drive in manual, not auto, and for her the paddles are welcome. Note, this 500 is registered to her, and so it is her car. She has had an LS since 1999. There were a few times when we had two LS. I remember when she had a Jaguar and I suggested she replace it with a car other than an LS. She said, "you can get a different car, but I will drive the LS" That's when we got two LS.

Here's hoping we continue to like the 500.
Thanks for starting the new tread for owners.
The following users liked this post:
TableRock (09-11-18)
Old 06-05-18, 11:11 AM
JackMac
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I should add that one of my motivations for getting a 500 were the safety additions, particularly pedestrian safety. Today I experienced it in action. I was picking up a passenger at the curb by pulling up behind a parked car near a crosswalk, I looked behind myself for clearance, put the car in reverse and the car jammed on the brakes as a pedestrian from "nowhere" walked behind the car. It was the first time I experienced this sudden braking I felt the car must have dropped it's transmission or something. But the dash says BRAKE in large red letters. Then I looked again at the rear screen and saw the lady walking behind me studying her cell phone. Next they should install sensors in peoples cell phones.
TableRock (09-11-18)
Old 06-05-18, 04:26 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac
I should add that one of my motivations for getting a 500 were the safety additions, particularly pedestrian safety. Today I experienced it in action. I was picking up a passenger at the curb by pulling up behind a parked car near a crosswalk, I looked behind myself for clearance, put the car in reverse and the car jammed on the brakes as a pedestrian from "nowhere" walked behind the car. It was the first time I experienced this sudden braking I felt the car must have dropped it's transmission or something. But the dash says BRAKE in large red letters. Then I looked again at the rear screen and saw the lady walking behind me studying her cell phone. Next they should install sensors in peoples cell phones.
Two weeks ago when I was having the run-flats swapped out, the same thing happened to the tire guy as he was backing the car out of the service bay. One of his coworkers was standing behind the guiding him out and when he got close enough, BAM the car slammed to a stop. The young kid driving turned white as a sheet. He though he had hit something. I could help but laugh as I explained it to him. The look of relief on his face was priceless.
TableRock (09-11-18)
Old 06-06-18, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Two weeks ago when I was having the run-flats swapped out,
May I ask you what you do for your spare tire? Do you carry a 5th full size tire?
Old 06-06-18, 02:17 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
May I ask you what you do for your spare tire? Do you carry a 5th full size tire?
In my opinion, spare tires are obsolete. Before cell phones, you ran the risk of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat, and had no way of getting help. Today, a tow truck is only a phone call away.

I've been driving 35,000 - 40,000 miles per year for the last 20 years, and have had only 1 flat, and that was my fault for waiting too long to get new tires. I knew I needed them, but it kept slipping my mind and the steel belts wound up wearing right through the tread. I changed the tire myself (in my business clothes) and what should have taken 15 minutes wound up taking 45 because lug nut number 5 was crimped down so tight, it took me about 20 minutes to finally get it to budge. Nearly knocked all my teeth out twice when the wrench slipped off the nut. By the time I finished, I was so hot, sweaty and grubby, I swore never again. I'll wait for a tow.

For the hugely improved ride, I'll take my chances and spend 30 minutes to an hour surfing on my phone while I wait for a tow.
Old 06-06-18, 07:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

In my opinion, spare tires are obsolete. Before cell phones, you ran the risk of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat, and had no way of getting help. Today, a tow truck is only a phone call away.

I've been driving 35,000 - 40,000 miles per year for the last 20 years, and have had only 1 flat, and that was my fault for waiting too long to get new tires. I knew I needed them, but it kept slipping my mind and the steel belts wound up wearing right through the tread. I changed the tire myself (in my business clothes) and what should have taken 15 minutes wound up taking 45 because lug nut number 5 was crimped down so tight, it took me about 20 minutes to finally get it to budge. Nearly knocked all my teeth out twice when the wrench slipped off the nut. By the time I finished, I was so hot, sweaty and grubby, I swore never again. I'll wait for a tow.

For the hugely improved ride, I'll take my chances and spend 30 minutes to an hour surfing on my phone while I wait for a tow.
Thanks for your thoughts. Do you drive your new LS500 on long trips? Why ask is I hate the space saver in my two Toyota cars compared to my SUVs that have a full size spare. The big deal to me is that if I take a very long trip which I recently just did Toronto to Savannah and I have a flat, let’s say half way down the interstate, my whole trip is messed up and delayed as I would have to find a location to change out the old tire or replace the space saver. With a full size spare, I could go on and on and when I finally get to my destination, I could find a shop to do the tire while I vacation. I am unaware if tow services can add a new tire on the spot. Sad to see the LS lose the full size spare.

What brand of tire are you now using for your new 500?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-06-18 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 09:47 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

Thanks for starting a clean "thread for LS 500 owners" rather than those who have not yet or say the will never purchase a LS500.

With Navigation, I had difficulty figuring out how to cancel a destination, and now just use the voice recognition to do that. Yes I wish I could have my passenger entering addresses when moving, but the voice recognition is a decent work around. I have never relied on voice recognition in the past as it really wasn't that good. Now it is, as it is on most current vehicles.

I have lane assist on, and have learned that the system does not function until going faster than about 28 mph. That make sense. It will vibrate the steering wheel when going over a line or stripe if I have not signaled a lane change, It does not seem to feel to aim the wheel back, but perhaps I have to have cruise control on for that. Any one have advice on that?

We are also getting used to the Touchpad controls. But your suggestion to leverage Voice function for navigation was great. That looks like a great alternative to using the Touchpad for navigation related tasks, especially the voice address entry. Now with voice, navigation functions work even better than the touchscreen interface on our LS 460. Thanks, JackMac!
Old 06-07-18, 10:09 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Soon the LS 500 Infotainment will get an update, which will include Amazon Alexa. Which is much better at voice recognition.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/05/...a-integration/
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/01/...icles-in-2018/

The following 2 users liked this post by john341:
franklexus (11-07-18), shinonclub (06-07-18)
Old 06-07-18, 10:35 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What brand of tire are you now using for your new 500?
I went with the Yokahama Advantage Sport A/S.
Old 06-11-18, 11:48 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

I went with the Yokahama Advantage Sport A/S.
Has anyone noticed any fuel economy differences between the run-flats and regular tires? And how are your numbers with the Yokohama Advantage Sport All Season?
Old 06-12-18, 12:00 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

When putting the car in reverse when I first start the car, the revs are such that I have to carefully release the brake, or it will jump back a bit.

Now that you've mentioned it, I have noticed that with my car, it "launches" for both forward and backward directions if I don't carefully release the break paddle. On the other end of the spectrum, the car stopped automatically when I backed into my garage and almost hit a misplaced chair that was left there by mistake by the cleaning lady. I hope we don't have to experience the critical safety features of the new LS 500, but it's reassuring to know that they are ready to be deployed when needed.
Old 06-12-18, 10:02 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

My Jeep does this panic stop in reverse every time I pull out of my garage when I get too close to the bushes. Only a few cars will do rear panic stops.
Old 06-12-18, 11:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by shinonclub
A few of us thought there should a thread for us owners of this amazing vehicle to share our experiences, tips, thoughts about various things the new LS models offer, and really benefiting from each others' respective ownership experiences. So here it is; I welcome all of you owners of the new LS to chime in with your sharing. Cheers!

We have owned the Lexus LS for 28 years, first with the 2000 LS 400, then the 2007 LS 460, and now the new LS 500. We absolutely love the Autumn Shimmer color, and even more the Safety+ features, the HUD, the front and back seats, and so many other distinctive Lexus features. And most of, despite all of those negative noises about the ride and quietness that previous LS models used to offer and this new one doesn't, we have experienced nothing but better offerings in terms of ride quality and quietness inside the vehicle. In fact, when we cruise down the highway with the ML sound on some pleasant Jazz tones, we can hardly hear anything else. The outside traffic just seems to silently flow to the back. That's it for now; more to share after we have enjoyed more of this car going forward.
Hmmm...I think you mean 18 years?

Which LS has been your favorite? Your 500 is beautiful.
Old 06-13-18, 08:43 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shinonclub
Has anyone noticed any fuel economy differences between the run-flats and regular tires? And how are your numbers with the Yokohama Advantage Sport All Season?
Yes, the mileage seems equal to or slightly better with the traditional tires. When I filled up before getting on the freeway for the 68 mile trip to work, I got 31.3 mpg with the run-flats. Yesterday, the exact same trip averaged 32.6 mpg on the Yokohamas. That's running at 36psi on the Yokohamas, and I think the Dunlop run-flats were at 38psi.

Quick Reply: LS500/500h/500F Ownership Experiences