LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

5th Gen V6 Bi-turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 01:58 PM
StClair
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 5th Gen V6 Bi-turbo

Hello,
Am I the only one who takes issue with the new LS engine? I知 not a fan of turbos, much less two!?? My understanding is that Lexus builds the turbos and does not outsource them from a 3rd party...thoughts? I知 concerned about long-term reliability...the niche that Lexus reigns supreme!!
Old 08-04-18, 02:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

This has been beaten to death, but you certainly have a valid point. I can't stand this new engine, but I wouldn't hesitate buying one if the LS500 was what I wanted. I'm sure it's going to end up plenty reliable.
Old 08-04-18, 02:54 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by StClair
Hello,
Am I the only one who takes issue with the new LS engine? I知 not a fan of turbos, much less two!?? My understanding is that Lexus builds the turbos and does not outsource them from a 3rd party...thoughts? I知 concerned about long-term reliability...the niche that Lexus reigns supreme!!
Only thing I don't like about turbo charger is turbo lag. My car at present has biturbo V8. It puts out 420 Hp, 440 ft-lb on spec. If I put in modded chip it will get up to 600 Hp very easily. We'll see more and more small turbo engines, and to accommodate it higher Octane fuel. Nissan has a turbo-vc engine on an Infinity vehicle now. When I had Audi SQ5 with V6 super charged engine with 350 Hp and 320 ft-lb I liked it. If you punch it the response is instant not like turbo. New SQ5 has turbo engine now. Volvo uses both on some of their cars taking advantage of both of them.
The following users liked this post:
Rockville (09-01-18)
Old 08-04-18, 02:58 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
This has been beaten to death, but you certainly have a valid point. I can't stand this new engine, but I wouldn't hesitate buying one if the LS500 was what I wanted. I'm sure it's going to end up plenty reliable.
Most issues with turbo is with it's associated plumbing rather than Turbo blower itself.
Old 08-04-18, 03:48 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Small capacity turbos have their pros and cons, but it is a necessary evil due to modern day fuel consumption and emissions regulations.

Turbos biggest Achilles heel would have to be the lag, which can be eliminated with 48 V electric turbochargers which can accelerate the turbine to 70,000 rpm in just 2 milliseconds as presently used in F1 Racing and the new Mercedes in-line sixes, however 48 V electric turbos will probably be bypassed by hybrids and plug-in hybrids where the electric motors deliver almost instant torque.
Old 08-05-18, 08:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by StClair
Hello,
Am I the only one who takes issue with the new LS engine? I’m not a fan of turbos, much less two!?? My understanding is that Lexus builds the turbos and does not outsource them from a 3rd party...thoughts? I’m concerned about long-term reliability...the niche that Lexus reigns supreme!!
I don't get why some of you are so obsessed with this stuff about Toyota (Lexus) and turbos. Toyota has been making turbos for a very long time. Toyota has had numerous turbo engines since the 1980's (I do not remember the Toyota engines before the 80s). They have had turbos all throughout the 1990s, 2000s and the current 2010s. You just don't see them that often in the North American market.
sajack (06-24-24)
Old 08-05-18, 10:41 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Htony
Most issues with turbo is with it's associated plumbing rather than Turbo blower itself.
Right. Heat, too.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't get why some of you are so obsessed with this stuff about Toyota (Lexus) and turbos. Toyota has been making turbos for a very long time. Toyota has had numerous turbo engines since the 1980's (I do not remember the Toyota engines before the 80s). They have had turbos all throughout the 1990s, 2000s and the current 2010s. You just don't see them that often in the North American market.
Right, but you just have to wonder. I would put money down that any of the under-stressed N/A V8s would outlast this new TT V6 by a fair margin. Based on what I've read, this new engine has its work cut out for it. Motor Trend said that this motor "struggles" to move the car around when you lay into it. The old V8s just loaf around barely even working, let alone working hard.

That all said I'm sure this V6 is a "reliable" engine per se.
Old 08-05-18, 03:06 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Turbos have coolant lines and oil lines going through them. Just when all cars were finally getting rid of hydraulic power steering units that eventually all failed because of oil leaks at the canister or in the lines or in the rack. The turbos have intercoolers also. Lots to go wrong. Just saying its WAY more stuff to fail and leak.
Old 08-05-18, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Turbos have coolant lines and oil lines going through them. Just when all cars were finally getting rid of hydraulic power steering units that eventually all failed because of oil leaks at the canister or in the lines or in the rack. The turbos have intercoolers also. Lots to go wrong. Just saying its WAY more stuff to fail and leak.
Toyota has a turbo in there Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser pick up. It痴 a V8. They use them in remote areas, I am sure Toyota knows what they are doing
Old 08-05-18, 08:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Right. Heat, too.

Right, but you just have to wonder. I would put money down that any of the under-stressed N/A V8s would outlast this new TT V6 by a fair margin. Based on what I've read, this new engine has its work cut out for it. Motor Trend said that this motor "struggles" to move the car around when you lay into it. The old V8s just loaf around barely even working, let alone working hard.

That all said I'm sure this V6 is a "reliable" engine per se.
I am sure Toyota Corp knows what they are doing. I think it痴 overreaction having this worry.
Old 08-11-18, 05:38 AM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't understand why people are averse to turbos from a reliability standpoint. Basically every diesel engine in the world has a turbocharger, and they certainly do not fail at a high rate. While we are averse to diesel cars here in NA, they are very common elsewhere, and let's call a spade a spade, shall we? Our engines are all now direct injected anyways, (not that this has anything to do with turbos), so our engines are getting pretty blurred.
Old 09-01-18, 10:24 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbos have been around a long while...

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
The main advantage of a turbocharger is to increase the oxygen in the cylinder which leads to more explosive power.
in the late 80痴 I worked for SAAB and drove the 2.0 Liter with a single Garrett Air Research. There was lag between pushing on the gas pedal and feeling boost. After a while you became used to it and could time it effectively. This was an in-line slant 4 cylinder. With the growing popularity of V6 pwertrains you could use two smaller turbochargers, one in each bank. Turbo lag was reduced.

An intercooler is a means of cooling the airmass that you are sending with the turbo. Long pipes take away heat like a heat sink and you can get get more air to the engine when it is cooled down. You can also mitigate heat at the turbo bearing by water cooling the bearing housing.

Modern turbos have twin scrolling and electric boost. Fuel efficiency is improved. The new LS500 is faster a full second to 60 lag or not.
Old 09-01-18, 12:37 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Out of 4 cars in our family, 3 have turbo charged engines. One I4, one I6 and last one biturbo V8. I always keep the rpm where turbo boost starts. So called turbo lag is minimal. Turbo charger, super charger has been around for ages.
sajack (06-24-24)
Old 09-02-18, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
O Turbo charger, super charger has been around for ages.
Toyota has been making them for quite a while.
Old 09-03-18, 11:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rockville

The main advantage of a turbocharger is to increase the oxygen in the cylinder which leads to more explosive power.
in the late 80’s I worked for SAAB and drove the 2.0 Liter with a single Garrett Air Research. There was lag between pushing on the gas pedal and feeling boost. After a while you became used to it and could time it effectively. This was an in-line slant 4 cylinder. With the growing popularity of V6 pwertrains you could use two smaller turbochargers, one in each bank. Turbo lag was reduced.

An intercooler is a means of cooling the airmass that you are sending with the turbo. Long pipes take away heat like a heat sink and you can get get more air to the engine when it is cooled down. You can also mitigate heat at the turbo bearing by water cooling the bearing housing.

Modern turbos have twin scrolling and electric boost. Fuel efficiency is improved. The new LS500 is faster a full second to 60 lag or not.
That is incorrect. The fastest time I've seen for the new LS is 5.3 from 0-60, as opposed to 5.6 on a late LS460 Motor Trend road test.

I'd take the V8 all day long. Hell, I'd rather have my ancient 290hp V8 than what's in the new LS500.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen V6 Bi-turbo