LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Any rust on the underneath of your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 05:50 PM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Any rust on the underneath of your cars?

I'm pretty close to getting a LS and it has boiled down to, really, two main concerns for me for the LS.

1) Ride quality/noise - I believe dumping the RFTs and getting regular tires should help quite a bit, so I'll gamble.
2) Rust. - Lexus LS460s did a fairly good job at resisting rust, but there are a few concerns here and there. While I will accept and gladly admit defeat that German cars are less reliable than Lexuses (note, I didn't say all Japanese cars!), I will also share that my main concern with Japanese cars (Lexus is included) is with rust. There are numerous threads on RX rust, even cars that are a year old. I understand the bottom of LS vehicles are all primarily covered by plastic shields, so I guess me asking this question may not yield me the info I'm looking for...

So to those of you with 5LSs, and I know it's a new car, do any of you notice any unusual rusting on your LSs, particular on the undercarriage side?

Thank you
Old 09-14-18, 10:03 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I'm pretty close to getting a LS and it has boiled down to, really, two main concerns for me for the LS.

1) Ride quality/noise - I believe dumping the RFTs and getting regular tires should help quite a bit, so I'll gamble.
2) Rust. - Lexus LS460s did a fairly good job at resisting rust, but there are a few concerns here and there. While I will accept and gladly admit defeat that German cars are less reliable than Lexuses (note, I didn't say all Japanese cars!), I will also share that my main concern with Japanese cars (Lexus is included) is with rust. There are numerous threads on RX rust, even cars that are a year old. I understand the bottom of LS vehicles are all primarily covered by plastic shields, so I guess me asking this question may not yield me the info I'm looking for...

So to those of you with 5LSs, and I know it's a new car, do any of you notice any unusual rusting on your LSs, particular on the undercarriage side?

Thank you
My LS500 certainly doesn't have any rust underside or elsewhere. Even the LS460 I'd had for 12 years didn't have that.
Old 09-18-18, 05:55 PM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It is not fair for me to bring up the underside photos of a 4LS, but I had a 4LS on the hoist today, with only 25,000km. It was a 2015 LS, that was from one province over. I thought about buying it, but holy moly after I looked at the underside of that car which has gone through 2 winters, versus my current car that has gone through 5, I am glad I walked away from Lexus. Yes, one car, one sample size, in one location. I should not use n=1, but it was surprising to me. I looked at it for two reasons. 1) In case I wanted to buy this used car, and 2) in case I wanted to see how a 5 LS MAY rust (not that ANYTHING below is indicative of how a 5LS may perform)

Versus my car, here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post7551611

I have always been concerned about rust on Japanese cars, it would appear to me that this may be a concern. That said, lots of variables here, but I am walking away from this Lexus based on my risk tolerance. Rust on exhaust components are not things I care about, but the surface rust on the subframe and rear transfer case...that's worrying, versus on my car, nothing. (I didn't post all 16 photos I had taken today)

Before anyone looks at my thread and comments, please note we are comparing several 2008 models (pre FL C class's) with known issues, versus post FL C classes (>2012) which have no issues. I only bring this up because I linked my thread above, and also because I'm trying to compare the latest of the late models for both my vehicle (W204) and the 4LS (a 2015 is close to the last year the 4LS was made)

You all have been absolutely fantastic, and I wish all of you the best, and for your cars too. Just wanted to drop this last note. Thanks everyone!

*The LS in question did NOT have an accident as per Carproof.

Last edited by angrypengu; 09-18-18 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 08:07 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats on your non-Lexus purchase decision and good luck. Your passive-aggressive Lexus bashing certainly won't be missed around here...
Old 09-20-18, 03:27 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Congrats on your non-Lexus purchase decision and good luck. Your passive-aggressive Lexus bashing certainly won't be missed around here...
Very well put; I stopped reading or answering anything from this angrypengu poster sometime ago. He seemed to be only interested in putting out negative noises about the 5LS. The worst part of the posts from angrypengu is the way they are sandwiched between seemingly "rational" arguments about the S, 7, and 8. I hope we've seen the last of his posts.
Old 09-21-18, 02:52 PM
ansonng666
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like the location has a huge effect. You can't stop surface rust is just nature of it.