LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Lexus Safety System +2.0 vs Lexus Safety System+ A differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 11:57 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Safety System +2.0 vs Lexus Safety System+ A differences

Stopped in a the Lexus dealership while getting my wife's 2013 GS serviced and while looking at the new LS I am still confused about what is included on each. Looking at the brochure (pages 52-53) and talking the the salesperson did not clarify and for me the brochure looks like it is saying items in the Lexus Safety System+ A system (Road Sign Assist, Lane Tracing Assist) are standard.

On the base system they say Pre-collision with Pedestrian Detection. Does this mean on the base Lexus Safety System +2.0 it automatically applied the brakes if it detects an object and you haven't applied the brakes? The +A system lists Pedestrian Alert. What is the difference between between Pedestrian Detection and Pedestrian Alert?

Is there any braking on objects in the back of the car, or cross traffic alerts front and rear on the Lexus Safety System +2.0 system?
Old 10-13-18, 12:59 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MJA1951
Stopped in a the Lexus dealership while getting my wife's 2013 GS serviced and while looking at the new LS I am still confused about what is included on each. Looking at the brochure (pages 52-53) and talking the the salesperson did not clarify and for me the brochure looks like it is saying items in the Lexus Safety System+ A system (Road Sign Assist, Lane Tracing Assist) are standard.

On the base system they say Pre-collision with Pedestrian Detection. Does this mean on the base Lexus Safety System +2.0 it automatically applied the brakes if it detects an object and you haven't applied the brakes? The +A system lists Pedestrian Alert. What is the difference between between Pedestrian Detection and Pedestrian Alert?

Is there any braking on objects in the back of the car, or cross traffic alerts front and rear on the Lexus Safety System +2.0 system?
Can any owner tell me if there is any rear warning or auto braking beside the sensor beeping with Lexus Safety System +2.0?

Thanks
Old 10-13-18, 10:10 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

LSS+ 2.0 (which is standard) comes with the following:

Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
  • Uses radar and camera to provide auto emergency braking for vehicles ahead, bicyclists in the daytime & pedestrians day & night.
Lane Tracing Assist
  • While Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is active, this actively steers to keep your vehicle centered in its lane. It does this by reading the lane lines & when there are no lane lines, it does this while following the vehicle in front of you.
Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
  • Above 32 mph, the vehicle uses its camera to detect lane markings. If you are swaying or accidentally begin to leave your lane, it alerts the driver with audible, visual warnings and steering wheel vibrations. If the driver doesn't take action, Steering Assist will temporarily engage to remain in the lane. This functions independently of Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
  • This uses radar and camera to maintain your speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead at high speeds or in stop & go traffic.
Intelligent High Beams
  • This uses the camera to detect darkness levels and whether or not there are vehicles in front of you or heading towards you. If the road is clear of other vehicles and it is dark enough, it automatically switches on the high-beams and turns them off if it detects another vehicle.
Road Sign Assist
  • This uses the camera ONLY to read road sign information such as speed limits, Do Not Enter, Yield & Stop signs and displays this in the instrument cluster and the Head-Up Display.

LSS+A adds the following the what is included above as standard:

Pre-Collision System
  • In addition to the 2.0 features, the +A version has enhanced low-light capabilities for BOTH pedestrians and bicyclists.
Intuitive Pedestrian Alert System
  • Shows a pedestrians position relative to the vehicle in the Head-Up display
Road Sign Assist
  • This uses the camera AND navigation data to alert the driver of road sign information such as speed limits, do not enter, yield & stop signs.
Lane Change Assist
  • While Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is active, if there are no vehicles in or approaching your blind spot, all you have to do is signal left or right and the vehicle will automatically steer itself into the lane you've selected.
Front Cross Traffic Alert
  • When approaching an intersection at low speed, the radar sensors on the front side of the vehicle can detect approaching vehicles to the left and right of the front of the vehicle. In this case, the head-up display is used to inform the driver of detected vehicles.
Active Steering Assist
  • If the system determines that the possibility of a collision with an object, such as a guardrail, or pedestrian is high, even though the brakes are applied, and that the collision may be avoidable through steering control, the system will steer the vehicle automatically to help avoid the collision or help reduce the impact of the collision.
Pre-Collision Seat Belts (Front Seats only)
  • If the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is high, the system will retract the seat belts. Additionally, the system may retract the seat belts if the brakes are applied suddenly or control of the vehicle is lost.

Separately from LSS+ 2.0 & LSS+ A, Intuitive Parking Assist with Auto Stop, which is a standard feature of the LS, uses the sonar parking sensors at the front and rear of the vehicle. If you get too close to any object/surface/person/etc., the vehicle will automatically apply the brakes to stop you from hitting anything. This works in reverse and in drive.

Separately from LSS+ 2.0 & LSS+A, Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Braking, which is a standard feature of the LS, uses radar sensors mounted on both sides of the rear bumper to warn you while reversing out of a parking spot if a vehicle is approaching from either side. If it senses a potential collision, it will automatically brake.
The following users liked this post:
MJA1951 (10-14-18)
Old 10-14-18, 06:44 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Thanks for the response. I was looking for the rear features under the safety systems and didn't think it would be somewhere else!
Old 05-13-20, 11:34 AM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
Can any owner tell me if there is any rear warning or auto braking beside the sensor beeping with Lexus Safety System +2.0?

Thanks
Mine actually stopped the car while backing up as a tree jumped in back of me without warning. LOL.. Didn't see it in my blind spot, and somehow the sensors didn't sense it till Ihe car was automatically stopped.
Old 05-13-20, 03:18 PM
ProfSCCA
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts

2020 LS BASE model , one month old: I was navigating around in the garage (bad weather coming). As garage door went down and I was still backing up, car automatically braked and gave me a dashboard warning. I thought: "Yeah yeah, I'm fine." It was fine. I just needed to wiggle it around a bit more and then parked it. First time a REAR warning has activated on a car of mine. Nice feature --along with the "kick / foot-activated" trunk opening.