LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

19 LS 500 ML system died

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 04:03 PM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 19 LS 500 ML system died

So, I picked up my car December 28th, 6th Lexus, 5th LS, and I really enjoy the car a lot. Yesterday, I was listening to FLAC files from a USB drive, and the music stop playing. I thought maybe the drive was the problem. Switched to CarPlay and got Spotify to work. Today, same thing happened, I was listening to the USB drive again, and the music just stopped playing. I tried to switch to different sources, none worked even the FM. Tried to call the dealership to set an appointment to get the car looked at, that wouldn't allow the phone audio through the car. I swung by the dealership and they had a tech look at it, they were as shocked as I was. I take it in Tuesday and they are going to start switching components. When I was driving home I noticed the WiFi would not connect either. Went to WiFi in setup up and it was off, tried turning it back on and got an error message that there was a problem and couldn't start. Oh boy, less than 500 miles. Hope this isn't a precursor of things to come.
Old 01-18-19, 04:08 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I hope this isn't a widespread problem. Good luck with the repair.
Old 01-23-19, 07:08 AM
JCAvila
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry 2018 Levinson 3D Amp Issue

Originally Posted by jefmedia
So, I picked up my car December 28th, 6th Lexus, 5th LS, and I really enjoy the car a lot. Yesterday, I was listening to FLAC files from a USB drive, and the music stop playing. I thought maybe the drive was the problem. Switched to CarPlay and got Spotify to work. Today, same thing happened, I was listening to the USB drive again, and the music just stopped playing. I tried to switch to different sources, none worked even the FM. Tried to call the dealership to set an appointment to get the car looked at, that wouldn't allow the phone audio through the car. I swung by the dealership and they had a tech look at it, they were as shocked as I was. I take it in Tuesday and they are going to start switching components. When I was driving home I noticed the WiFi would not connect either. Went to WiFi in setup up and it was off, tried turning it back on and got an error message that there was a problem and couldn't start. Oh boy, less than 500 miles. Hope this isn't a precursor of things to come.
We are a Lexus family. Have owned a total of 7 now. Dad just bought a 2018 LS500 on Friday. Sticker on it was $101,430. He drove straight from the dealership to Houston this past weekend to visit me. Less than 300 miles on it when he arrived. We were listening to the new 3D Levinson system when out of nowhere it just went silent. It occurred right after the infotainment updated. Of course we did everything to troubleshoot. In addition to the sound system not working, the whole interface is sluggish and locks up when you try to do anything with it.

To say he is upset would be an understatement. He just spent some serious coin for this car. Took it to the dealer in Houston. They determined the amp is bad. Of course they don't have any in stock. Dad had to drive all the way home (Corpus Christi) in silence. He has since spoken to the service writer in San Antonio where he purchased the car. Come to find out this is a problem on the Levinson system in the ES350 as well. Same thing. Just shorts out without warning and then silence.

They are sending a flatbed to pickup the car tomorrow and drop off a loaner. Just wondering how many others are experiencing this issue. Sounds like manufacturing defects on these new Levinson amps. What the heck is going on with Lexus quality control?!

Old 01-23-19, 07:41 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JCAvila
We are a Lexus family. Have owned a total of 7 now. Dad just bought a 2018 LS500 on Friday. Sticker on it was $101,430. He drove straight from the dealership to Houston this past weekend to visit me. Less than 300 miles on it when he arrived. We were listening to the new 3D Levinson system when out of nowhere it just went silent. It occurred right after the infotainment updated. Of course we did everything to troubleshoot. In addition to the sound system not working, the whole interface is sluggish and locks up when you try to do anything with it.

To say he is upset would be an understatement. He just spent some serious coin for this car. Took it to the dealer in Houston. They determined the amp is bad. Of course they don't have any in stock. Dad had to drive all the way home (Corpus Christi) in silence. He has since spoken to the service writer in San Antonio where he purchased the car. Come to find out this is a problem on the Levinson system in the ES350 as well. Same thing. Just shorts out without warning and then silence.

They are sending a flatbed to pickup the car tomorrow and drop off a loaner. Just wondering how many others are experiencing this issue. Sounds like manufacturing defects on these new Levinson amps. What the heck is going on with Lexus quality control?!
sorry to hear about that. Hope this isn’t a widespread issue! Can you share the build date?
The following users liked this post:
BuyingLX (11-18-20)
Old 01-23-19, 07:48 AM
JCAvila
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Defective Levinson Amps

Originally Posted by vantage78

sorry to hear about that. Hope this isn’t a widespread issue! Can you share the build date?
Car was manufactured 6/18. When was yours manufactured?
Old 01-23-19, 07:55 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Mine is 3/18 .No problems yet.
Old 01-23-19, 08:37 AM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Mine turned out to be a corrupt USB drive, mine started working the next time I got in it. Both times it went out I was listening to FLAC files off a USB. I moved files to a different USB and it hasn't stopped again. However, my WiFi would not connect, so I went to dealer and he showed me how to reset the Infotainment system. Push and hold the volume/slash on off button until you see system shut down. That will reset it. Sorry to hear about the amp, that's what I thought mine was initially. I will say I am not sure I am that impressed with the ML system. It seems very abrasive. When you turn it up it fills out, but at low volumes it just sounds artificial. This while using FLAC files that are as good as I can get for quality. Maybe it's me but, I think the one in my 460 sounded fuller, much better low mids.
BuyingLX (11-18-20)
Old 01-23-19, 08:41 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

08/18 for me. No issues so far, knock on wood. Other data: I’ve used almost all the sources (Bluetooth, usb connected, xm,fm, dvd movie), volume at relatively high levels (30, not sustained of course). Car has 1100 miles currently.

Hope they get it resolved soon. Post the resolution if you can.
Old 01-23-19, 08:52 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Mine turned out to be a corrupt USB drive, mine started working the next time I got in it. Both times it went out I was listening to FLAC files off a USB. I moved files to a different USB and it hasn't stopped again. However, my WiFi would not connect, so I went to dealer and he showed me how to reset the Infotainment system. Push and hold the volume/slash on off button until you see system shut down. That will reset it. Sorry to hear about the amp, that's what I thought mine was initially. I will say I am not sure I am that impressed with the ML system. It seems very abrasive. When you turn it up it fills out, but at low volumes it just sounds artificial. This while using FLAC files that are as good as I can get for quality. Maybe it's me but, I think the one in my 460 sounded fuller, much better low mids.
I feel the same about the way the ml sounds. I can't really explain it but the mid range has a weird boost are effect to it. Every review says it's one of the best systems. I expected it to sound way better for the specs they brag about
Old 01-23-19, 08:57 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Don't feel bad, my ML in my 18 GS is not worth it. As I stated in another thread, the standard system in my 14 RX sounds much better.
Old 01-23-19, 10:30 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Mark Levinson in Lexus = legend in Lexus' own mind. 95% hype and 5% actual mediocre technology.
BuyingLX (11-18-20)
Old 01-23-19, 10:50 AM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it is mediocre, I have had the ML system in 3 of the last 4 LS's, and then this one. Until this one I have always thought it was very good, even exceptional. I spent 4k updating my 16 Ford F150 Limited audio system and it now sounds quite good considering the acoustics in the truck, but was no match for the 460's ML. I wonder if the HUD has something to do with it? It seems that the abrasive sound I hear is coming from that part of the dash. Probably me being OCD, but the 1st LS 500 I test drove didn't have the HUD option and I didn't notice any issues. Granted, I was focused on other aspects of the car, so who knows. Maybe I should take my USB and dump some critical listening songs and do a little A/B testing at the dealership. Yeah right, I doubt they would let me do that, but who knows. I have going to my dealership for almost 20 years.
Old 01-24-19, 03:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Mine is 3/18 .No problems yet.
I have yet to experience this problem. Although I don't think I updated the system yet. Hopefully it doesn't do it on its own. Manufactured May 2018.
Old 01-24-19, 07:36 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think it is mediocre, I have had the ML system in 3 of the last 4 LS's, and then this one. Until this one I have always thought it was very good, even exceptional.
I agree completely. The sound quality of the ML's I had in my two previous 460's was noticeably superior to what I'm getting from my 500 ML. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with all this simulated surround sound crap. I never used it in my 460's and I've turned it off in the 500 as well. Turning it off does improve the sound, in my opinion, but overall, the 500 ML just doesn't sound as crisp as the 460 ML did. For my money, the ML in the 460 was the best "stock" sound system ever produced. I've never heard better from a mass-produced vehicle.

Last edited by dsc07; 01-24-19 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 08:26 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

jefmedia: I've had ML in a 2002, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 and now 2018 LS. The 2008 was by far the best sounding ML, the 2012 the worst. The 14, 17 were OK, and 2018 -- somethings not right. I think the mid range is a bit much, and even cutting it doesn't seem to do very much.

Quick Reply: 19 LS 500 ML system died