LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS500 F Sport AWD vs RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 11:03 AM
drus90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS500 F Sport AWD vs RWD

Hello,

What is the real world difference between AWD and RWD? I was looking to see if the F Sport RWD had a limited slip rear and can't find on the website. I live in NYC and don't plan on driving in the snow that often. I know, you never know, but real world difference?

Thanks
Old 02-03-19, 12:15 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

(Disclaimer, the differences below are only for F-Sport vehicles. Certain features mentioned below, like air suspension, are in fact available on AWD models, so long as they are not F-Sport models.)

RWD models see better fuel economy ratings by 1 mpg city, 3 mpg highway, 2 mpg combined. I'd guess this is due to increased weight, increased ride height, and increased drivetrain losses on the AWD models.

RWD models have a better aerodynamic drag coefficient of .28 vs .30 in the AWD. This is likely due to the higher stock ride height on the AWD models, hence the worse drag coefficient.

RWD models have a better turning circle of 36.8 feet vs 39.4 feet in the AWD models. This is something you'd actually notice in real world, day-to-day use. It could be the difference between making that U-turn or needing to do a 3-point turn.

Both AWD & RWD models come standard with the Adaptive Variable Suspension (static shocks, adjustable dampers). RWD models can be upgraded to the Adaptive Variable Air Suspension with Rapid Height function (which rises instantly as you walk up to the car to make getting in/out easier). This is not available on AWD models. This is something you'd actually notice in real world, day-to-day use & would change the character of the car. In addition, vehicles with Air Suspension have a stock ride height about 0.4 inches lower than those without.

RWD models can be equipped with the Performance Package which gets you Variable Gear Ratio Steering, Rear-Wheel Steering, and Active Stabilizers. This is a very notable option that would drastically change the character of the car & is not available on AWD models. Variable Gear Ratio Steering can adjust the number of turns from lock-to-lock anywhere from 2.3 turns to 3.2 turns & gives the steering sharp responses to small inputs when you need to suddenly swerve for example or if you're in a parking lot & makes it so that you need to turn the wheel much less to accomplish your maneuver. On the other hand, when you're cruising around, the speed of the responses to your steering inputs can be slowed down, giving you that traditional luxury car slow and relaxed steering experience. Best of both worlds. AWD models have a steering ratio that cannot change how it responds to your inputs. This is on the slower side, closer to 2.8 or 2.9 turns lock-to-lock at all times. Rear-Wheel Steering does exactly what it says & acts to make the LS feel like a much smaller car in all driving scenarios, especially in tighter parking lot or city traffic conditions. Not only does it become much easier to maneuver at low-speeds as the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction as the front, high-speed stability is also increased as the rear wheels turn in the same direction in the front. This is another feature you'd notice in real world day-to-day use.

Both AWD & RWD models come standard with "Lexus Safety System 2.0." RWD models can be upgraded to the more advanced "Lexus Safety System+ A" suite of safety tech. AWD models cannot be equipped with this.

RWD models can be optioned with the Adaptive Front Lighting System (where they swivel/turn with your steering inputs), AWD cannot.

RWD models can be equipped with the 360 degree camera system, AWD models cannot.

It does not look like the RWD model can be equipped with an LSD.
The following users liked this post:
LexRuger (02-03-19)
Old 02-04-19, 03:42 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
(Disclaimer, the differences below are only for F-Sport vehicles. Certain features mentioned below, like air suspension, are in fact available on AWD models, so long as they are not F-Sport models.)

Both AWD & RWD models come standard with the Adaptive Variable Suspension (static shocks, adjustable dampers). RWD models can be upgraded to the Adaptive Variable Air Suspension with Rapid Height function (which rises instantly as you walk up to the car to make getting in/out easier). This is not available on AWD models. This is something you'd actually notice in real world, day-to-day use & would change the character of the car. In addition, vehicles with Air Suspension have a stock ride height about 0.4 inches lower than those without.

Both AWD & RWD models come standard with "Lexus Safety System 2.0." RWD models can be upgraded to the more advanced "Lexus Safety System+ A" suite of safety tech. AWD models cannot be equipped with this.

RWD models can be optioned with the Adaptive Front Lighting System (where they swivel/turn with your steering inputs), AWD cannot.

RWD models can be equipped with the 360 degree camera system, AWD models cannot.
All the ones underlined are incorrect, these features can be added to an AWD model. I have adaaptive lighting system on mine. The camera some have that as well, and the air can also be added. They are options on the AWD and usually have to be ordered and you wont find them on the lot but for sure you can get them same with the Lexus safety +A.
Old 02-04-19, 10:31 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by bigblack06
All the ones underlined are incorrect, these features can be added to an AWD model. I have adaaptive lighting system on mine. The camera some have that as well, and the air can also be added. They are options on the AWD and usually have to be ordered and you wont find them on the lot but for sure you can get them same with the Lexus safety +A.
Thanks for clarifying. I was basing my findings on Lexus' site & press release. Looks like there are a lot of details that are incorrect from their specs pages to their configurators, if this is to be true. Yikes. I did a nationwide search of new AWD F-Sport LS models to confirm and none of them had any of these options and seemed to confirm what Lexus' site says so I assumed it to be true.

I'd love to see examples of AWD F-Sport models with those features, if you could, for peace of mind, as the non F-Sport LS in AWD is available with those features according to Lexus' site, hence the disclaimer at the top of my post that I was referring to F-Sport models only.

Motortrend:
My other problem with this LS 500 F Sport AWD is with its coil-sprung variable-damping suspension.
Rear-drive F-Sports can be had with a $1,500 adaptive variable air suspension that very well may address these shortcomings, but this AWD model's ride quality seemed to prove that Lexus' heart is in tuning cars for continuous creamy smoothness, not occasional athleticism.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexu...rt-awd-review/

Last edited by signdetres; 02-04-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 10:56 AM
signdetres
Racer

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not saying you're right. I'm 100% positive AWD F-Sport LS models cannot be equipped with the Air Suspension, nor many of the features you mislabeled as incorrect.

For example, when building a RWD F-Sport LS, you cannot get the Lexus Safety System +A package without combining this with the Air Suspension.

When building an AWD non F-Sport LS, you cannot get the Adaptive Front Lighting System without getting the Lexus Safety System +A package, which in turn requires the Air Suspension, 360 cam & heated steering wheel.

In addition, I think you're confusing features on your vehicle. You don't have the Adaptive Front Lighting System, what you have are cornering lights that turn on with the turn signals or turn on with steering input to the left or right. These are lights separate from the main LED headlights that point to the sides of the vehicle. With the Adaptive Front Lighting System, it is the actual main LED headlights that are physically turning side-to-side based on steering input to the left or right.

If you had the Adaptive Front Headlight System on your AWD F-Sport LS, you would also have the Lexus Safety System +A package, Adaptive Variable Air Suspension with Rapid Height as well as the 24-inch heads-up display. These are not a la carte options and cannot be had without the other.

Even to get the 360 camera system on an F-Sport, it requires also getting the Air Suspension which also requires getting the Performance Package, again, all of which are not available on AWD models. I know how confusing Lexus' website is and even more confusing is how they spec cars based on whether or not they're AWD or RWD. They do this with the GS as well & I've learned how to figure it all out accordingly over time, hence my original post in this thread to make it as clear, simple & transparent as possible for those looking to decide between AWD or RWD models.

Hope this helps clarify

Last edited by signdetres; 02-04-19 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 05:57 PM
drus90
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the clarifications, signdetres. Still think that it is strange that no LSD in the F-sport.
Old 02-05-19, 02:58 AM
bigblack06

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not saying you're right. I'm 100% positive AWD F-Sport LS models cannot be equipped with the Air Suspension, nor many of the features you mislabeled as incorrect.

For example, when building a RWD F-Sport LS, you cannot get the Lexus Safety System +A package without combining this with the Air Suspension.

When building an AWD non F-Sport LS, you cannot get the Adaptive Front Lighting System without getting the Lexus Safety System +A package, which in turn requires the Air Suspension, 360 cam & heated steering wheel.

In addition, I think you're confusing features on your vehicle. You don't have the Adaptive Front Lighting System, what you have are cornering lights that turn on with the turn signals or turn on with steering input to the left or right. These are lights separate from the main LED headlights that point to the sides of the vehicle. With the Adaptive Front Lighting System, it is the actual main LED headlights that are physically turning side-to-side based on steering input to the left or right.

If you had the Adaptive Front Headlight System on your AWD F-Sport LS, you would also have the Lexus Safety System +A package, Adaptive Variable Air Suspension with Rapid Height as well as the 24-inch heads-up display. These are not a la carte options and cannot be had without the other.

Even to get the 360 camera system on an F-Sport, it requires also getting the Air Suspension which also requires getting the Performance Package, again, all of which are not available on AWD models. I know how confusing Lexus' website is and even more confusing is how they spec cars based on whether or not they're AWD or RWD. They do this with the GS as well & I've learned how to figure it all out accordingly over time, hence my original post in this thread to make it as clear, simple & transparent as possible for those looking to decide between AWD or RWD models.

Hope this helps clarify
I currently have adaptive front lighting. Just because it isn't available in the build does not mean you can not get it through the dealer. I will double check and if I'm wrong I will post it, but I'm sure that the 360 camera and the adaptive air suspension can be added to an AWD LS F-Sport. As for the adaptive lighting as said before I have it already on my car.
Old 02-05-19, 06:09 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by drus90
Thanks for the clarifications, signdetres. Still think that it is strange that no LSD in the F-sport.
From the Lexus brochure
"Never sacrifice style for capability with all-wheel drive, available on every LS model. Full-time all-wheel drive delivers engine power to all four wheels, and a TORSEN® limited-slip center differential 12 efficiently distributes it between the front and rear axles, helping optimize traction, handling and control in a variety of driving condition"
Old 02-05-19, 09:35 AM
drus90
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, the rwd f-sport has no LSD option, unless it is standard??
Old 02-05-19, 09:49 AM
drus90
Driver School Candidate

Opps, LSD was an option for non-f-sport rwd in 2018 NOT 2019. No LSD for any RWD anymore
Old 02-05-19, 10:45 AM
bigblack06

Hope this helps clarify
So yes sir you are correct the F-Sport air suspension is not available for the AWD model because the differences between the AWD and RWD from what my salesman stated to me. Also The 360 camera can be special ordered as well as the Lexus +A with HUD as they need to be together to order them. You are right though there is no clear answer on the website or from corporate. I had to eventually give a call to my salesman since I was helping a friend out look for a car.
Old 02-05-19, 11:38 AM
signdetres
Racer

From the Lexus brochure
"Never sacrifice style for capability with all-wheel drive, available on every LS model. Full-time all-wheel drive delivers engine power to all four wheels, and a TORSEN® limited-slip center differential 12 efficiently distributes it between the front and rear axles, helping optimize traction, handling and control in a variety of driving condition"
The OP specifically asked if RWD models could be optioned with an LSD. The Torsen limited-slip center differential is standard on AWD models & not available on RWD models.

There is no Torsen limited-slip rear-differential option available on the RWD LS F-Sport as can be found on other Lexus models, like the RWD GS F-Sport.

Last edited by signdetres; 02-05-19 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 11:38 AM
signdetres
Racer

I currently have adaptive front lighting. Just because it isn't available in the build does not mean you can not get it through the dealer. I will double check and if I'm wrong I will post it, but I'm sure that the 360 camera and the adaptive air suspension can be added to an AWD LS F-Sport. As for the adaptive lighting as said before I have it already on my car.
Please post your window sticker, it would be on the options list.
Old 02-05-19, 04:02 PM
bigblack06

The OP specifically asked if RWD models could be optioned with an LSD. The Torsen limited-slip center differential is standard on AWD models & not available on RWD models.

There is no Torsen limited-slip rear-differential option available on the RWD LS F-Sport as can be found on other Lexus models, like the RWD GS F-Sport.
Yes, posted what it stated on brochure. He understood it's only on the AWD model from my post. I just clarified what Lexus stated.
The following users liked this post:
Johnkato (04-01-23)
Old 12-05-22, 08:33 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

General question - does Chevron gas have the same additives in all 3 grades or only in the 93 premium?

Do you guys ever put ARCO gas? I hear it's bad despite it's a "top tier" gas.