LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS Recall: Runflats improperly mounted

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 12:32 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silvaIS
Thats very cool, the dealers near me do not have anything like this...good look, maybe ill consider after market additions like these
There's a dealership in Santa Monica that does this, but don't get too excited. They charge 2x-3x the cost of those aftermarket parts. When I was shopping for cars there, they had aftermarket wheels on their cars where they were asking $20K on top of MSRP for cheap no-name brand wheels. Another car had the factory wheels painted black and they charged $5k for the black paint. Another example is it had the windows tinted, charged $2k for that...non ceramic.
Old 04-02-19, 01:23 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
There's a dealership in Santa Monica that does this, but don't get too excited. They charge 2x-3x the cost of those aftermarket parts. When I was shopping for cars there, they had aftermarket wheels on their cars where they were asking $20K on top of MSRP for cheap no-name brand wheels. Another car had the factory wheels painted black and they charged $5k for the black paint. Another example is it had the windows tinted, charged $2k for that...non ceramic.
Yea a lot of dealers do it in la. Just another way to make more profit.

I watched a video on YouTube about how dealers add those annoying flashing 3rd brake lights. They cost like $10 but they'll charge the customer $300.
Old 04-02-19, 06:19 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious, were these items added to the window sticker and if yes can you show us what the break down was?
Old 04-03-19, 11:03 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I finally read the letter of what this recall is really about, jeesh I now know the reason they stopped sale of any car with this recall.
From Lexus:
The involved vehicles are equipped with run-flat tires that were assembled to the wheels improperly. There is a possibility that a crack could develop on the sidewall reinforcement layer of the tires. Under certain driving conditions, portions of the tire tread layer could separate, causing a reduction of vehicle stability and increasing the risk of a crash.
Old 04-03-19, 12:26 PM
Fwyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I finally read the letter of what this recall is really about, jeesh I now know the reason they stopped sale of any car with this recall.
From Lexus:
The involved vehicles are equipped with run-flat tires that were assembled to the wheels improperly. There is a possibility that a crack could develop on the sidewall reinforcement layer of the tires. Under certain driving conditions, portions of the tire tread layer could separate, causing a reduction of vehicle stability and increasing the risk of a crash.
but what about those who have these improperly mounted tries??? My car is on the recall... and My dealer still haven’t got any fix for the past month...

should i I keep driving my car????
Old 04-03-19, 05:16 PM
bigblack06

That is the same recall. That is the full explanation of what they mean by the improper mounting. I called Lexus Corp and they stated if you feel unsafe get in touch with your dealership for a loaner. I don't at moment as I can drive another car, I would suggest you contact your dealership and see if they can work with you.
Old 04-05-19, 05:20 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

So i just got an update that on the 8th, they can finally order the replacement tires....so once they arrive they can start mounting them. So i guess a little bit more of a wait
The following users liked this post:
bigblack06 (04-05-19)
Old 04-07-19, 12:33 AM
ZiadS55
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anyway to check if my car is on the recall list?the website above does not cover international cars and i am in the middle east
Old 04-07-19, 10:28 PM
Fwyt
Driver School Candidate

So i just got an update that on the 8th, they can finally order the replacement tires....so once they arrive they can start mounting them. So i guess a little bit more of a wait
being told the tires are on back order.
Old 04-08-19, 04:37 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

I picked up my car on Saturday.. Its amazing and i love it
Old 04-08-19, 05:40 AM
bigblack06

I picked up my car on Saturday.. Its amazing and i love it
You mind snapping a pic of the tires they replaced them with, I'm curious what they replaced them with.
Old 04-16-19, 12:31 PM
ABT8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer have my car since last Friday, still don’t have an ETA on the tire and won’t let me get my car back because “ tire problem is dangerous”.
Old 04-16-19, 03:42 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ABT8
Dealer have my car since last Friday, still don’t have an ETA on the tire and won’t let me get my car back because “ tire problem is dangerous”.
That is a shame. Blessed I have aftermarket wheels. I wonder if they'll just let you buy your own tires and reimburse you?
Old 04-16-19, 08:42 PM
Fwyt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
You mind snapping a pic of the tires they replaced them with, I'm curious what they replaced them with.
here you go.

This is the one they installed on mine.
Old 04-17-19, 03:10 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Fwyt
here you go.

This is the one they installed on mine.
Was really hoping for another brand, how silly of me to think that. Thanks!

Quick Reply: LS Recall: Runflats improperly mounted