LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Is the LS500 that bad??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 09:46 AM
johnc22
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I Love My LS...

...with all of its faults and trips to the dealer.
Old 09-24-19, 10:08 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
This happens every time Lexus releases a new model. Some people like the change and buy the new model, others don't and they come here to explain why they don't like the new changes. Many people did not like the mid cycle refresh on the LS460 where they changed the grill. I was one of them, but I still ended up buying a 2014 LWB and then a 2017 LWB. The LS500 is smaller inside, has a V6, but looks so much better. The car is also a pleasure to drive....
The 2007 LS sold 35k+ units in it's first year. Even the update in 2013 boosted sales slightly from the previous year. I remember when Consumer Reports tested the 2007 LS, it earned their highest score ever up to that point. The current LS isn't getting those types of reviews. The market has also changed. Curious to see what will happen to the LS in the next couple of years.
Old 09-25-19, 08:36 AM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The latest LS sold decently in the beginning. I think buyers loved the styling and hence the initial sales boom ( although still below the projected 1000 units/month). But I think as owners and passengers complained about how cramped it Is, how intrusive engine noise is, how it transmits more bumps into the cabin and through the steering wheel, sales dwindled. We buy an LS for the ultimate in refinement and luxury and comfort; along with comfort and effortless power. This latest generation has failed in this regard and Lexus needs to fix this.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (09-26-19)
Old 09-25-19, 06:38 PM
ABT8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold mine last month, Second gear start on steep hill, hesitation problem and jerky shift were the main problems.
Old 09-25-19, 07:32 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Except for for a little different grille, the 5 and the 7 look similar to me.

Old 09-25-19, 07:36 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I've noticed people that came from previous generations don't like them. Smaller interior, no V8, stiffer and sportier. People prefer the sedated, floaty feeling of the older ones. Me being in my early 30s, I love the driving dynamics.
The ES is definitely easier getting in and out of the car than the LS500 as well as roomier inside. I've had 2007 and 2012 LS's and prefer the 2018 as far as handling and power. My previous lease was a RC F. I'm probably wrong but I think the RC F would be a quicker car with the LS twin turbo instead of the V8. There's only been the bump when the transmission downshifts to first gear. Other than that, which was corrected, and the tire swap recall, this LS has been perfect. Well, the AWD is not the best on gas mileage but that's more of an observation, not a complaint.
Old 09-25-19, 07:43 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

C and E are damn near identical.

bigblack06 (09-26-19)
Old 09-27-19, 01:19 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought my 2019 LS AWD Tuesday, and so far am happy with it. Taking a bit to get used to the gear shift, and cruz/radar.. had a 06 and 14 LS before, and bought a new ES last year,, Traded the ES as the ride was nothing compared to the larger car. Do have a bit of problem with the GPS, and Phone app... Wonder if there is any way to place photos on the GPS screen like was on the ES and '14LS.. Don't need the GPS screen for most driving, and is a bit of distraction in and around town. Have to wonder why it has driver seat massage, A shame that the windows don't lower with the Door Unlock button on the Fob like the other two LS's I owned.

But still reading the owner's manual. and learning.. Car/Play?? Isn't it just another distraction? I have a Note8, that gives me so many updates that can't imagine adding it to the car's system other than for the incoming phone calls. The ML sound system sounds great, but being an old fart, don't need a $2k set of speakers in a car that I only put 6-7ooo miles a year on.

Looking out over the Steering wheel, and seeing those two ***** for "Snow" and "Sport" reminds me of the SHREK, First time I had it in Sport mode and hit the accelerator, thought the car blew the Muffler.. Like the salesman told me,,, "That when you want to have some fun" $90k car sounding like a Jacked-up Big Wheel "Pick-em-up" Ford Truck..

Once again, if anyone can explain to me how to put photos on the middle screen would appreciate directions.
Old 09-28-19, 08:09 AM
johnc22
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You Can Get the Dealer to Activate...

...all windows lower/moonroof retract with keyfob button hold down function.
Budhah (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 07:35 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnc22
.Dealer activated,,..all windows lower/moonroof retract with keyfob button hold down function.
Thank you for pointing this out..

I finally found that item in the owners book, I wonder what other little goodies that are pretty well hidden from us at purchase? Being a hundred plus miles from the dealer takes a little planning and a day to get simple things done. My other cars, once warranty was over, took to local Toyota service. What other options does the dealer hold in store for new owners?

Opening the windows on hot days from a hundred feet away allows the car to cool and fresh air entry,, Been doing it for years, so kind of spoiled.

Last edited by Budhah; 09-28-19 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 08:00 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Budhah
Thank you for pointing this out..

I finally found that item in the owners book, I wonder what other little goodies that are pretty well hidden from us at purchase? Being a hundred plus miles from the dealer takes a little planning and a day to get simple things done. My other cars, once warranty was over, took to local Toyota service. What other options does the dealer hold in store for new owners?

Opening the windows on hot days from a hundred feet away allows the car to cool and fresh air entry,, Been doing it for years, so kind of spoiled.
I believe they can disable that annoying beep when you put in reverse
Old 09-29-19, 11:24 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I believe they can disable that annoying beep when you put in reverse
Can't disable it. The best you can do is reduce it to a single beep.
Old 09-29-19, 01:34 PM
rogersmj
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The LS500's interior is smaller than the older LS460's? I hadn't heard that. How the heck did Lexus manage that, the new car is even longer than the previous "L" model!

I had heard that the ride quality wasn't quite as nice. Haven't ridden in one myself but that's a shame if true. You should never give up your niche, especially if you rule it.
Old 09-29-19, 01:53 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogersmj
The LS500's interior is smaller than the older LS460's? I hadn't heard that. How the heck did Lexus manage that, the new car is even longer than the previous "L" model!

I had heard that the ride quality wasn't quite as nice. Haven't ridden in one myself but that's a shame if true. You should never give up your niche, especially if you rule it.
Ride quality is subjective. The previous gens had a super plush ride. Some people called it boring and too isolating. Now it's stiffer and sportier. I think the reason the interior is smaller is because the exterior design. The long hood protrudes into the front passenger space and the subtle slope of the rear window requires the back seats to sit closer to the front taking away leg room. My back seats rarely get used and the front is roomy enough for me.
Old 10-01-19, 08:41 PM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ride quality is subjective. The previous gens had a super plush ride. Some people called it boring and too isolating. Now it's stiffer and sportier. I think the reason the interior is smaller is because the exterior design. The long hood protrudes into the front passenger space and the subtle slope of the rear window requires the back seats to sit closer to the front taking away leg room. My back seats rarely get used and the front is roomy enough for me.
Feeling more bumps in the road is not subjective. The ls500 is more bumpy and that’s a problem! It needs to be called out for what it is, and terms like “ sportier” or “boring” mean nothing. The interior is cramped because Lexus failed at designing in comfort for all passengers. No sense sugar coating their failed attempt with this beautiful looking car.
p.s. Engine is also noisy.
JLAWS (10-02-19)

Quick Reply: Is the LS500 that bad??