LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Carplay disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 07:55 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Carplay disappointment

I finally had the Carplay update installed 2 weeks ago, not because I wanted Carplay, but because I wanted the fix to turn off the bloody freeway turns window. Anyway, after reading all the posts from people who said they actually wouldn't buy a car that didn't offer Carply, I have to say that I'm not impressed.

First off, every time I start the car now, I get a message on the nav screen that Enform 2.0 can't connect to my account, even though it is running on the phone and connected. Nothing to do with Carplay itself, just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has a solution. The message won't go away on its own, you have to click on OK. This happens regardless of whether I'm plugged in via USB or connected via bluetooth. Have not found a fix for it yet. Anyone else?

Secondly, can anyone explain why the music app works differently through Carplay than it does when you run it on the phone? If I select "songs" on the phone, the songs are listed and played alphabetically. However, if you select "Songs" through Carplay, the list isn't in alphabetical order, and I can't find any settings to put it in that order. I'm not actually sure in what order they are played, but they are definitely grouped together by when they were added to the phone. Oh, and before you suggest it, shuffle is definitely off in both instances.

Aside from that, the app selection is so limited, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Other than phone, messages & music, there's nothing in there that I would use. And what does Carplay offer in these apps that the standard Lexus system doesn't already have. They have always worked perfectly fine for me. People talk about how bad the Lexus nav app is, and I agree that the old version that used Cirius was much more reliable than the current FM version, but I've never been a fan of Apple's map application, so I would still choose the Lexus nav app over Apples'.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing.
Old 10-20-19, 05:24 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Secondly, can anyone explain why the music app works differently through Carplay than it does when you run it on the phone? If I select "songs" on the phone, the songs are listed and played alphabetically. However, if you select "Songs" through Carplay, the list isn't in alphabetical order, and I can't find any settings to put it in that order. I'm not actually sure in what order they are played, but they are definitely grouped together by when they were added to the phone. Oh, and before you suggest it, shuffle is definitely off in both instances.
I have the same problem playing MP3's from a USB drive on my '15 LS. I believe you are correct that it's sorting by creation date on the device. To overcome it, I had to take care to copy the songs to the device in alphabetical order so the dateCreated chronological sort matches the alphabetic sort. Total pain...
Old 10-22-19, 11:23 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I finally had the Carplay update installed 2 weeks ago, not because I wanted Carplay, but because I wanted the fix to turn off the bloody freeway turns window. Anyway, after reading all the posts from people who said they actually wouldn't buy a car that didn't offer Carply, I have to say that I'm not impressed.

First off, every time I start the car now, I get a message on the nav screen that Enform 2.0 can't connect to my account, even though it is running on the phone and connected. Nothing to do with Carplay itself, just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has a solution. The message won't go away on its own, you have to click on OK. This happens regardless of whether I'm plugged in via USB or connected via bluetooth. Have not found a fix for it yet. Anyone else?

Aside from that, the app selection is so limited, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Other than phone, messages & music, there's nothing in there that I would use. And what does Carplay offer in these apps that the standard Lexus system doesn't already have. They have always worked perfectly fine for me. People talk about how bad the Lexus nav app is, and I agree that the old version that used Cirius was much more reliable than the current FM version, but I've never been a fan of Apple's map application, so I would still choose the Lexus nav app over Apples'.

Install google maps; satellite mode on the full Lexus width screen is great. Also try iOS 13. Brings a host of new CarPlay features (new look and feel, multitasking apps, album art while you are driving, multi pane info, etc). Can’t remember about the song list as I usually play station music or a playlist via Apple Music.
Old 10-22-19, 11:28 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Forgot to mention: with regards to your Enform error, try deleting your personal data (from the system settings menu), re login to your Enform app, and see if that works. I use this trick to get the in car WiFi to initialize; it sometimes will not start.
Old 10-22-19, 01:25 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

CarPlay is either/or...when you cable up and click on CP you are no longer using Bluetooth, Lexus Enform App 2.0,
the native Lexus Map, HD Weather Channel...none of it. The Google Map Satellite Map view is a stunner to be sure.
My observations so far are that I would like and use CP for longer trips that deserve the give and take of Waze and
the large font size of the music information screens.

The admittedly minor inconvenience of fishing out my phone from the holster to plug it in does affect my "errand day"
behavior, would just rather jump in and out at the dry cleaner, gas station, post office and grocery store stops.

The native Lexus map zooms and scrolls so nicely it is tough to go back to the finicky small buttons in the corner on
the Waze and Google maps. While not an issue in big cities, depending on phone connection coverage in more remote
regions could unexpectedly leave you without guidance. When ending a drive that utilized a phone Nav App you must
remember to sweep off the App or you will discover your device battery is being depleted very quickly during that
boring meeting.
Old 10-22-19, 02:45 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vantage78
Install google maps; satellite mode on the full Lexus width screen is great. Also try iOS 13. Brings a host of new CarPlay features (new look and feel, multitasking apps, album art while you are driving, multi pane info, etc). Can’t remember about the song list as I usually play station music or a playlist via Apple Music.
just tried the song list. All my songs appear in the order listed in my Apple music App; not alphabetical, but in the order you added.