LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Privacy Potential Threat from Enform App and vehicle analytics

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 08:35 AM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In addition to the data collectiokn. I'm a little confused. The privacy statement says that they "Lexu" I are using the phones mobile data to transmit this collected data. I was under the impression that these cars had their own ed that own network
Old 11-04-19, 08:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TigetJacks
That's the OLD app, you need to download the new one. I just downloaded two weeks ago.
Thats what I thought, it doesn't have a driver score yet because the new app basically connects it. The old still works for me as I used it this morning.
Old 11-04-19, 08:45 AM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see this on my iPhone app, maybe it is just the Android version.
Old 11-04-19, 11:07 AM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Thats what I thought, it doesn't have a driver score yet because the new app basically connects it. The old still works for me as I used it this morning.
You brotha are a genius, Let's see if I can get that old app and re-install.
Old 11-05-19, 05:02 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I suspect the old app will stop working at some point. You do raise an interesting point about how this data is transmitted back to Lexus. Are they using the built in connectivity that the car has or are they using your Phone's data to transmit that back? They say that they collect the data if you use their "Connected Services" and that the only way to stop that is to stop using their connected services. Not sure how you do that though.

I also use Life360 Driver Protect for my teenagers. The app will monitor your driving behavior and transmit it back to them. As such they are able to get this information from the sensors built in to your phone.
Old 11-05-19, 06:05 AM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I suspect the old app will stop working at some point. You do raise an interesting point about how this data is transmitted back to Lexus. Are they using the built in connectivity that the car has or are they using your Phone's data to transmit that back? They say that they collect the data if you use their "Connected Services" and that the only way to stop that is to stop using their connected services. Not sure how you do that though.

I also use Life360 Driver Protect for my teenagers. The app will monitor your driving behavior and transmit it back to them. As such they are able to get this information from the sensors built in to your phone.
Based on what I've read in that privacy statement, its using phone services to transmit that data. So this beg's the question: If they are able to push updates to the infotainment system, why then would they need a phone connection to get this data ? Here's why: The phone associates the vehicle data, GPS, phone PII with the vehicle and I'll bet that's the rub and we pay for it. Now ain't that a *****. Man, you gotta hand it to those that market this stuff.
Old 11-06-19, 05:50 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I have multiple Lexus cars, but it only shows me the driver score for the LS500. The other three cars show up in the app, but they are not transmitting anything back to Lexus even when I drive them.

The driver score appears to be based on three different metrics that they compute on over a period of time - Fast acceleration, Harsh cornering and harsh braking. However I do not see how they decide what is harsh cornering or harsh braking. I don't have a lead foot nor do I engage in what some might call "sporty driving"
Old 11-06-19, 06:19 AM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I have multiple Lexus cars, but it only shows me the driver score for the LS500. The other three cars show up in the app, but they are not transmitting anything back to Lexus even when I drive them.

The driver score appears to be based on three different metrics that they compute on over a period of time - Fast acceleration, Harsh cornering and harsh braking. However I do not see how they decide what is harsh cornering or harsh braking. I don't have a lead foot nor do I engage in what some might call "sporty driving"
I'm asking the same question. This is very subjective and in the privacy notice, they say it's used to offer products such as insurance or other. Who's to say that one right turn is different from another at a stop light. How about Fast Acceleration - is that from a stop, intent to pass someone or what one person considers normal driving. To have a machine decide which is or is not, is absolutely ludicrous to me since the machine is not physically taking the road, other driver conditions into account. I find this a troubling trend.
Old 01-16-20, 08:30 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Posted in error.