LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Consumer Reports Slams LS500

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-19, 09:37 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Reliability rating possible explanation

I too was surprised, but that rating is relative. A recent year car is expected to have VERY few problems, so a few can throw off the overall rating quite a bit. If problems do not get worse, the car could look very reliable in 3-4 years with the same absolute percentage of issues. Some cars on CR show a lowest rating one year and a highest the prior, same basic car. Did they really change? Unlikely... Still, that is a disappointment. Small sample + genuine issues can quickly add up. I hope this is not start of a trend for Lexus/Toyota...
Old 11-26-19, 12:27 PM
regancc
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I for one really like the new LS. I just traded my '18 LC500 in on a '19. I know, some people are thinking I am crazy, but the LC was a lease and it was time and I didn't like putting $2000 in tires on it every 18k miles. It was a great car and second to none in design lines. Gorgeous. But, I have a stallion in the garage ('18 Z06 convertible) so I didn't need two sports cars and we wanted a super nice car that could carry more than the 2 of us. I got $20K off the price (my company owns a Lexus dealer) and so I pulled the trigger. Some of my observations:
Amazing ride - I have the air ride and it is so smooth. Clemgrad85, I was curious how it compared to the Volvo 90 so I am glad you seem to like it better. I am truly amazed at the seat comfort, the ride comfort, the acceleration of the twin turbos, all around excellent vehicle and it will give me better luxury than a 7-series and much better reliability, and for a LOT less $$. I've only had it a few days, but so far, I love it. I am not a huge fan of the touchpad interface, but I am used to it since I had the LC so I am OK with it. I wish the LC would have had the easy (and soft) open/close trunk like the LS. Amazed me the clunkiness of a $100K car that I had to manually close the trunk and the clunk it made closing the trunk and doors. This one closes quietly and when I close the doors, it is solid and also nice and quiet. I hate it when a car clunks when the door is closed. This sounds like quality.

That's my simple review and opinion...but I am very happy with it.
The following 6 users liked this post by regancc:
clemgrad85 (11-26-19), JDR76 (11-26-19), LexRuger (11-26-19), obsessed (01-16-20), sha4000 (11-30-19), shinonclub (11-26-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-19, 01:16 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello;

While I am a LS460 owner, I was, at one time, considering trading up to the newly styled LS500. Therefore, I read the forums as a way to ascertain the general consensus of the experiences of current new owners. I learned many, many years ago, to not purchase a newly styled model during the first production year, but that's another story. My current car is a 2011 with 48k. In just pristine condition. However, by reading these forums and speaking to current LS 500 owners, I've realized that while I like the look of the newly styled LS, I have decided to keep my current car. Perhaps, in the near future, I may honestly look for a 2017 with extremely low miles. My daily profession has afforded me the opportunity to speak to four separate, financially well healed, and past LS owners about their newly acquired LS 500. Or, at least new owners within one year of ownership. Here is the honest story of what I have been told by them. Very interesting, I feel.

1. Owner 1. He loves the car and everything about it. He was really enthusiastic about it. His new toy! He has been purchasing the LS product since the mid 1990's. He says, to date, no issues. His color was Nightfall Mica.

2. Owner 2. Clearly, a much older gentleman, LS owner from way back. He confessed that he doesn't do too much driving any longer, as his wife is the designated driver most of the time. But, he does drive it several times a week, at the most. His opinion of the car, and I quote, "If I could go back and get my 2012 LS 460L back, I'd do it in a heartbeat!" He stated that it is the worst, frustrating LS he has ever owned. And, it has been in for service several times for a loud "thud" sound while turning. As well as being very "jerky" as he stated. He did admit that he liked the styling, but it was not on par with what he was used to with Lexus. His color was Autumn Shimmer. I saw it in person, beautiful, with chrome wheels. I thought it was quite striking!

3. Owner 3. Older man/ retired purchased for his wife in order to replace her 2013 LS 460. His wife was there, and I asked her about it. She absolutely hated it! lol. In fact, she made her husband get rid if it, and he bought her a NX300 instead! lol.Yes, I know, a big difference there.! lol. She despised that car! lol. She didn't feel that Lexus was keeping older, repeat customers in mind when they made the new design. She said the hood was too long and she couldn't get used to how much lower it felt than her previous LS 460. She also voiced her displeasure of how many steps it took for her to just turn on the heated seats. lol. Yes, she also mentioned the acceleration lag. That seemed to really bother her the most, as I recall. Anyway, she mentioned just how much she loved her new NX300, and didn't seem to care anything at all about the LS 500. She too, had been a previous LS 430 owner prior to owning the 2013 LS 460. I don't know the color of LS 500 she had. I didn't even ask. lol. The lady was a riot! She didn't mice words, that's for sure!

4. Owner 4. Middle age to retirement age, similar to myself. Also owned several other LS models over the years. He confessed that the best LS he ever had the pleasure of owning was his 2006 LS430. Although, he did admit that it was a pain in the Winter months. Rear wheel drive. Anyway, he informed me that he wants to like his new LS500. But, he found it to be jerky and at times, unresponsive to his right foot concerning acceleration. He confessed that he does like it very much, but time will tell. His was also Nightfall Mica.

Okay, so my take away from all of these encounters leaves me puzzled. Only one guy stated that he absolutely loved the car! Hmm? Then, I read some of these forums. Then, I say to myself, "Do I really want to spend that kind of money on something that is clearly not as refined as previous models?"

Well, these encounters are very true, I assure you. But, in my opinion, very telling. No, I have not driven the new LS 500. I have sat inside, but not driven. So, perhaps, I have no room to criticize. lol. But, for me, for now, I'm holding on to my 2011. Thankfully, besides a new brake actuator, it has served me very, very well. I just can't see entering into "unknowns" with a new LS 500 until I hear more positive owner experiences. I do however, find these forums very informative. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

The following 7 users liked this post by Vicqlo:
aypues (12-05-19), LexRuger (11-26-19), LS460Crown (12-03-19), MrDOS (04-24-20), obsessed (01-16-20), regancc (11-26-19), sha4000 (11-30-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-19, 05:21 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 100Cars
I wonder what "Transmission minor" means, exactly.
I can tell you about the about the Tranny,, You can often feel the downshifting, It feels almost like a breaking action, don't think that a 10 speed should feel quiet that much as you just let off the gas and you drop a couple of gears down. Takes a bit of getting used to. I wish they had a regular gear shift ****. As a 75 year old guy, I like to "shift" the gears, and not Jiggle the damn stick. Remember the old push button gear shifts on Chryslers? The paddle flipping kind of makes up for it,, But a good solid Neutral would be great, Actually, when I go from Reverse to forward, there is almost no 'seat of the pants' feel. Other than that, love the car.

On being smaller,, I had an 06...LS 430,, 2014 LS 460,,, 2015 and 2018 ES 350, In 2018 I tried sitting in the LS 500 first car on the lot in St. Louis, and hated the feel.,, But, last year I was pushing 300#, and now down to 230#, and feel a lot of difference. Also I wonder if the seat sides were turned in to hold tighter last year. Yes the sides of the seats will fold inward or outward for a custom "feel". The Massage, is kind of funky, and gets old quick,, At same time it helps tired butt that I got in the LS 430.. Only a few thousand miles on it,, I do Hate the way to work the Radio.. Wish I could put photos on the Screen,

Addressing the Panorama top,, Both my 2019 LS 500, and the 2018 ES 350 are white, Panorama on the ES 350, and it was a beauty, However with the LS 500 not being Panorama, it's still a beauty. Just different, from brunette to blond. LOL ;-) AWD is great, Already had snow here, and felt sure footed, The switch from different ride modes from eco, comfort, sport, and sport+ is a riot.. Sounds like the old Plymouth Barracuda, and IT'S FUN.. Love pulling next to a "Stang' and letting it sound off.

There is a definite difference in the ride between comfort, eco to the sport modes. Much more responsive. Also the Run Flat tires might be a bit stiffer..

Don't miss the V8 in power,, It's so damn easy to go from 50 to 80 in passing a slower car. (I got a ticket). Have been over much more careful,,

All in ALL a GREAT car, and Great ride. Biggest gripe is that damn jiggle gear shift ****.

You ask why I traded up each time? Kids took the older cars, Got a head on in the 06 LS 460. It never felt right afterwards, and the electronics seemed messed up. The "ash tray got dirty" in the 2018 ES 350... Couldn't stand the ride after my LS cars, Plus, If I can't take it with me, I'm going to spend it..
The following users liked this post:
regancc (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19, 02:47 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Budhah
I can tell you about the about the Tranny,, You can often feel the downshifting, It feels almost like a breaking action, don't think that a 10 speed should feel quiet that much as you just let off the gas and you drop a couple of gears down. Takes a bit of getting used to. I wish they had a regular gear shift ****. As a 75 year old guy, I like to "shift" the gears, and not Jiggle the damn stick. Remember the old push button gear shifts on Chryslers? The paddle flipping kind of makes up for it,, But a good solid Neutral would be great, Actually, when I go from Reverse to forward, there is almost no 'seat of the pants' feel. Other than that, love the car.

On being smaller,, I had an 06...LS 430,, 2014 LS 460,,, 2015 and 2018 ES 350, In 2018 I tried sitting in the LS 500 first car on the lot in St. Louis, and hated the feel.,, But, last year I was pushing 300#, and now down to 230#, and feel a lot of difference. Also I wonder if the seat sides were turned in to hold tighter last year. Yes the sides of the seats will fold inward or outward for a custom "feel". The Massage, is kind of funky, and gets old quick,, At same time it helps tired butt that I got in the LS 430.. Only a few thousand miles on it,, I do Hate the way to work the Radio.. Wish I could put photos on the Screen,

Addressing the Panorama top,, Both my 2019 LS 500, and the 2018 ES 350 are white, Panorama on the ES 350, and it was a beauty, However with the LS 500 not being Panorama, it's still a beauty. Just different, from brunette to blond. LOL ;-) AWD is great, Already had snow here, and felt sure footed, The switch from different ride modes from eco, comfort, sport, and sport+ is a riot.. Sounds like the old Plymouth Barracuda, and IT'S FUN.. Love pulling next to a "Stang' and letting it sound off.

There is a definite difference in the ride between comfort, eco to the sport modes. Much more responsive. Also the Run Flat tires might be a bit stiffer..

Don't miss the V8 in power,, It's so damn easy to go from 50 to 80 in passing a slower car. (I got a ticket). Have been over much more careful,,

All in ALL a GREAT car, and Great ride. Biggest gripe is that damn jiggle gear shift ****.

You ask why I traded up each time? Kids took the older cars, Got a head on in the 06 LS 460. It never felt right afterwards, and the electronics seemed messed up. The "ash tray got dirty" in the 2018 ES 350... Couldn't stand the ride after my LS cars, Plus, If I can't take it with me, I'm going to spend it..
I mostly feel this in sport and sport + other than that I hardly get this after the TSIB they had for it. I will say that some things do make me rethink my purchase but there weight is minimal as I still love this car every time I jump in the driver seat. The main problem and I think the only problem I have with this car is the damn turbo or gas pedal delay it is the most dangerous I think I have ever had in all my Lexus ownership. Even with the Apexi throttle controller I still get this very little but it does happen, this should be at the top of the list for Lexus to fix. Not sure but the V6 Twin turbo gets up to speed really quick and I have to look down multiple times, once your past 60mph this thing just pumps those turbos more from what I've noticed.
regancc (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19, 10:11 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by regancc
Well, I for one really like the new LS. I just traded my '18 LC500 in on a '19. I know, some people are thinking I am crazy, but the LC was a lease and it was time and I didn't like putting $2000 in tires on it every 18k miles. It was a great car and second to none in design lines. Gorgeous. But, I have a stallion in the garage ('18 Z06 convertible) so I didn't need two sports cars and we wanted a super nice car that could carry more than the 2 of us. I got $20K off the price (my company owns a Lexus dealer) and so I pulled the trigger. Some of my observations:
Amazing ride - I have the air ride and it is so smooth. Clemgrad85, I was curious how it compared to the Volvo 90 so I am glad you seem to like it better. I am truly amazed at the seat comfort, the ride comfort, the acceleration of the twin turbos, all around excellent vehicle and it will give me better luxury than a 7-series and much better reliability, and for a LOT less $$. I've only had it a few days, but so far, I love it. I am not a huge fan of the touchpad interface, but I am used to it since I had the LC so I am OK with it. I wish the LC would have had the easy (and soft) open/close trunk like the LS. Amazed me the clunkiness of a $100K car that I had to manually close the trunk and the clunk it made closing the trunk and doors. This one closes quietly and when I close the doors, it is solid and also nice and quiet. I hate it when a car clunks when the door is closed. This sounds like quality.

That's my simple review and opinion...but I am very happy with it.
ReganCC…..glad you are enjoying your LS and thanks for your review. The only things I would say I feel are a little better with the S90 over the LS are the video quality of the backup camera (I am surprised at how much crisper the backup camera on the Volvo is over the LS) and maybe some aspects of the "infotainment" system. Each day I play with the touch pad I get better with it and certainly doesn't make me regret my purchase. The Volvo infotainment is a swipe and touch screen which does work well, but I think I had to put more "eye time" on it when driving. Other than those 2 items, I really can't give the Volvo better grades on anything else. Of course, I paid more for the LS than the Volvo, so hopefully it would be a better vehicle. And don't get me wrong, the Volvo S90 is a nice car, but there is a difference between it and the LS. The BIGGEST difference is how much more quiet the LS is and much more power. My wife definitely enjoyed on my previous LS's how if the door didn't completely close, it would quietly close itself.....she always got a kick out of that on my 460's and glad to see that is still on the 500. The interior quality is also much better in the LS vs the Volvo, but again, different price point so would be expected.

Hopefully we both continue to enjoy!
regancc (11-28-19)
Old 11-28-19, 02:32 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

I've enjoyed my 2018 LS 500 for almost two years now. So many little design features put this car ahead of others, and ahead of my previous LS 430 and LS 460. One of these little design features rarely talked about by anyone including the trade journals is the spraying water on windshield wipers. All other cars and previous LS cars shoot the water streams from the hood. The new LS 500 water spray come right out of the wipers themselves. Efficient and intuitive. That's what sets apart Lexus luxury from the others.
The following 3 users liked this post by shinonclub:
bigblack06 (11-30-19), clemgrad85 (11-29-19), regancc (11-28-19)
Old 11-28-19, 06:22 PM
regancc
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

I love that feature (windshield washer) on these. Also had it on my LC 500 and I love that it doesn't shoot everywhere. Also, my favorite feature of Lexus is the Hold button. It was one of the main reasons I went with a Lexus (I know, sounds a bit silly) again after my LC. I just love that feature. Now I am so spoiled, when I drive the Z06, I miss that I can just take my foot of the brake.
Old 11-29-19, 07:34 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by regancc
I love that feature (windshield washer) on these. Also had it on my LC 500 and I love that it doesn't shoot everywhere. Also, my favorite feature of Lexus is the Hold button. It was one of the main reasons I went with a Lexus (I know, sounds a bit silly) again after my LC. I just love that feature. Now I am so spoiled, when I drive the Z06, I miss that I can just take my foot of the brake.
Yes!....the Hold button is awesome. I first enjoyed this with my 2008 LS460 and I was hooked on that silly feature ever since. I was surprised it was actually available on the Volvo S90, and so that feature has been used by me for about 12 years on my cars. On the previous models you only had to turn it on once and it stayed on, but on the LS500 you do have to touch the button at each start, but since it is right where you would put the car into drive, not a big deal and already becoming a part of my start up "routine".
regancc (11-29-19)
Old 11-29-19, 09:25 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Yes!....the Hold button is awesome. I first enjoyed this with my 2008 LS460 and I was hooked on that silly feature ever since. I was surprised it was actually available on the Volvo S90, and so that feature has been used by me for about 12 years on my cars. On the previous models you only had to turn it on once and it stayed on, but on the LS500 you do have to touch the button at each start, but since it is right where you would put the car into drive, not a big deal and already becoming a part of my start up "routine".
Fan of the hold, but wish it could have been implemented like Mercedes; hard press on the brake while stopped will engage. No need for a separate button. And on that note, why can’t we close the trunk from the inside as well?
Old 11-30-19, 02:08 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage78
Fan of the hold, but wish it could have been implemented like Mercedes; hard press on the brake while stopped will engage. No need for a separate button. And on that note, why can’t we close the trunk from the inside as well?
I agree on both points. My previous car you could close the trunk from inside the car. Great when it's pouring down raining and you wanna hurry up and get in the car or when you forget to close it.
Old 12-01-19, 11:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by shinonclub
I've enjoyed my 2018 LS 500 for almost two years now. So many little design features put this car ahead of others, and ahead of my previous LS 430 and LS 460. One of these little design features rarely talked about by anyone including the trade journals is the spraying water on windshield wipers. All other cars and previous LS cars shoot the water streams from the hood. The new LS 500 water spray come right out of the wipers themselves. Efficient and intuitive. That's what sets apart Lexus luxury from the others.
Not trying to be negative, but any decent GM car has this feature. The wet arm system has been out for 30+ years. 80s and 90s GM cars had this, and the '03 truck I have now has it.

I am sad they deleted the power seatbelt anchors in the new LS. That's a feature I actually use a decent amount, and I love the little silent motor. It screams luxury.
Old 12-02-19, 04:28 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not trying to be negative, but any decent GM car has this feature. The wet arm system has been out for 30+ years. 80s and 90s GM cars had this, and the '03 truck I have now has it.

I am sad they deleted the power seatbelt anchors in the new LS. That's a feature I actually use a decent amount, and I love the little silent motor. It screams luxury.
the LS seatbelt auto cinches you; are you talking about the shoulder height adjustment?
Old 12-02-19, 04:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage78
the LS seatbelt auto cinches you; are you talking about the shoulder height adjustment?
Yes. I use that more than one would think.
Old 12-02-19, 04:46 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

No offense but I don't see a reason to adjust the seatbelt height more than once. It's not like we grow or shrink from day to day lol.
MrDOS (04-24-20)

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Slams LS500