LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS500 Wheel Finish (Vapor Chrome Finish) issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-22, 06:04 PM
EWDavid
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Those chain car wash places use harsh chemicals. They have to clean everything from a farm truck to luxury vehicles. I’m a hobby detailer. Their are several chemical ranging from gentle to harsh. If you want to keep your luxury car looking luxurious then hire a mobile detailer on your next ride.
Old 05-30-22, 04:43 AM
DriverMan
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Work finish

I quit taking my Lexus car to the car wash. After owning 4 Lexus cars over many years I found that auto car washes ruin the finish of a car with light scratches from the brushes and after looking at what it did to my last 07 LS460L I no longer do it. My current 18 LS500 will never see an auto wash. They just simply create fine scratches and I suspect the hard brushes used to clean your rims has caused this along with the harsh chemicals. Good luck on getting anybody to pay for fixing them.
Old 05-30-22, 11:07 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverMan
I quit taking my Lexus car to the car wash. After owning 4 Lexus cars over many years I found that auto car washes ruin the finish of a car with light scratches from the brushes and after looking at what it did to my last 07 LS460L I no longer do it. My current 18 LS500 will never see an auto wash. They just simply create fine scratches and I suspect the hard brushes used to clean your rims has caused this along with the harsh chemicals. Good luck on getting anybody to pay for fixing them.
Just wipe down the car daily in the morning using the morning dew!
Old 07-20-22, 01:14 PM
Wrocky32
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted to provide an update on my situation in case it helps others who are struggling with wheel finish on their LS500. I ran out of options to get my wheel repaired where the finish was flaking off. I wasn't able to contact the previous owner to find out where he purchased the rims and the dealer I bought the car from wasn't willing to help get me in contact with the previous owner. My local Lexus dealer didn't find any local repair shops that could refinish the rim. I found a shop in Michigan "The Wheel Exchange" that has an exchange program where you can buy a set of 4 PVD Chrome rims and send your factory rims back in for $795 (plus $299 for all shipping/handling fees both ways) There is a $1600 core charge until your wheels are returned. After some negotiation with my local dealer, we agreed to split the cost of the wheel exchange. This was because of the extra damage they caused to the rim with flaking issues while the car was in their possession. There was also another rim that had apparently fallen finish side down while the tires were getting rotated during an earlier service. Since they caused damage to two of the rims, they agreed to cover half of the exchange cost. The new PVD Chrome wheels come with a 3 year warranty.

Since I was already planning on driving near Michigan next week, I adjusted my plans to pick up the rims at "The Wheel Exchange" in Greenville, MI. I will take the rims to Grand Rapids and have Discount Tire put a fresh set of Continental (non run flat) tires on my new wheels. Discount Tire will also move the TPMS sensors and center caps from the old wheels to the new wheels. Once the tire/wheel installation is finished, I'll return the factory rims to "The Wheel Exchange" and then continue on my trip. Once I get the new tire/wheel package installed, I can comment on the fit/finish of the new rims as well as, hopefully, be another advocate for getting rid of run flat tires on the LS500. I will keep you posted!!

I cannot wait to get rid of my run flat tires!!!!! My biggest complaint with my LS is the ride quality and noise over less than perfect roads. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-20-22, 01:24 PM
Wrocky32
Rookie

In case you are interested, Here are photos showing the finish flaking.

This was the original flaking

This was the extra flaking after the car was returned from my local Lexus dealer.
Old 07-29-22, 09:22 AM
Wrocky32
Rookie

After swapping out my wheels with a set of PVD Chrome finish wheels from "The Wheel Exchange" in Greenville, Michigan, I can tell you that my rims were not factory finish. Something had been done before I bought the car with 12,000 miles on the car. The wheels shown above basically had chrome paint but did not appear to actually be properly chromed wheels. The new wheels look incredible and I'm super happy with their fit and finish. And the new "non runflat" Continental tires made a huge improvement in ride quality and noise. I highly recommend The Wheel Exchange if you have any rim damage and are looking to replace a wheel. Much better value that buying new Lexus rims.
Old 01-02-23, 11:41 AM
UsedLS500
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I have the same identical problem with my 2018 LS500 rims. Took it to the dealership and all 4 rims were replaced. I was told it was probably chemicals i was using to wash my car, which was bullcrap! Needless to say, the 4 new rims are chipping just like the last set. Waiting on the excuse of me using a harsh chemical to clean my car. My car is garage kept and hand washed using dawn dish detergent.

Hello everyone...
I have a 2018 LS500, which I purchased new and have had for less than one year. My vehicle has the '20" Split 10-Spoke Alloy Wheels with Vapor Chrome Finish' and I recently noticed the finish appeared to be worn off on the facing edges of the wheels. I took it to the dealer, who researched the issue and has told me the finish is being worn off. Apparently the wheels cannot be refinished. Since I have purchased the vehicle, I have only had it washed at a "full service" carwash chain here in Houston (Mister Car Wash, for those curious). I have not yet spoken to the carwash people about the issue. The dealer told me a chemical had been sprayed on the wheels (perhaps to clean brake dust) which has thinned or softened the chrome finish, and the cleaning brushes have simply worn away the finish.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? The issue is appearing on all 4 wheels, and there is no physical damage to the wheels (curb rash, etc.).

Thanks for everyone's time![/QUOTE]
Old 01-02-23, 12:24 PM
EWDavid
Rookie

Dish soap shouldn’t hurt the finish on the wheels. Every car detailer would say not to use dish soap especially on the paint. The detergent is way too harsh. Buy any dedicated car wash from any store. Or just search “ should I wash my car with dish soap “. And then look up on YouTube “ how to wash car “. I used to use dish soap and a beach towel in the 90’s on a ford ranger. How to properly wash your car is an eye opener.
Old 01-04-23, 04:58 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the same wheels and they are the easiest wheels to keep clean that I have ever had. I use plain water on them and would never use any caustic wheel cleaner. I put Zaino Z2 Pro on them occasionally. They are very slick and easy to wipe down.
List price on these wheels is over $1,400 each, so take care of them.
They are a little too glitzy for my tastes, but are real eye catchers on a dark color car.
Old 01-04-23, 06:23 AM
EWDavid
Rookie

Once the wheels and barrel are clean. I use the Speed Master wheel brush to get the barrel clean. GYEON quartz Wet Coat (500ml) works perfect as a wax / sealant. Lasts 3-4 months. Super easy. Once wheels are clean and STILL WET just spray on then immediately hose off. Just like that your chrome wheels are waxed.
Old 01-09-23, 11:30 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrocky32
After swapping out my wheels with a set of PVD Chrome finish wheels from "The Wheel Exchange" in Greenville, Michigan, I can tell you that my rims were not factory finish. Something had been done before I bought the car with 12,000 miles on the car. The wheels shown above basically had chrome paint but did not appear to actually be properly chromed wheels. The new wheels look incredible and I'm super happy with their fit and finish. And the new "non runflat" Continental tires made a huge improvement in ride quality and noise. I highly recommend The Wheel Exchange if you have any rim damage and are looking to replace a wheel. Much better value that buying new Lexus rims.
Is there any difference between the Vapor chrome and the PVD Chrome? Which is shinier etc?