LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS500 Wheel Finish (Vapor Chrome Finish) issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 07:36 PM
RobertHu
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2018 LS500 Wheel Finish (Vapor Chrome Finish) issues

Hello everyone...
I have a 2018 LS500, which I purchased new and have had for less than one year. My vehicle has the '20" Split 10-Spoke Alloy Wheels with Vapor Chrome Finish' and I recently noticed the finish appeared to be worn off on the facing edges of the wheels. I took it to the dealer, who researched the issue and has told me the finish is being worn off. Apparently the wheels cannot be refinished. Since I have purchased the vehicle, I have only had it washed at a "full service" carwash chain here in Houston (Mister Car Wash, for those curious). I have not yet spoken to the carwash people about the issue. The dealer told me a chemical had been sprayed on the wheels (perhaps to clean brake dust) which has thinned or softened the chrome finish, and the cleaning brushes have simply worn away the finish.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? The issue is appearing on all 4 wheels, and there is no physical damage to the wheels (curb rash, etc.).

Thanks for everyone's time!
Old 12-27-19, 01:29 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Never heard of this issue but a lot of hand car washes use pretty strong acidic wheel cleaners that eats through the brake dust. I can smell the spray several feet away when they’re washing other cars. I always tell them do not use the spray or brushes on my aftermarket wheels.

You could have the wheels refinished yourself.
Old 12-29-19, 06:29 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

That same acidic chemical is also being inadvertently sprayed on your clear coat which will do the same damage on painted surfaces. Not to mention the brushes marring the entire car. I stay away from car washes and do it myself.
Old 10-20-20, 05:35 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertHu
Hello everyone...
I have a 2018 LS500, which I purchased new and have had for less than one year. My vehicle has the '20" Split 10-Spoke Alloy Wheels with Vapor Chrome Finish' and I recently noticed the finish appeared to be worn off on the facing edges of the wheels. I took it to the dealer, who researched the issue and has told me the finish is being worn off. Apparently the wheels cannot be refinished. Since I have purchased the vehicle, I have only had it washed at a "full service" carwash chain here in Houston (Mister Car Wash, for those curious). I have not yet spoken to the carwash people about the issue. The dealer told me a chemical had been sprayed on the wheels (perhaps to clean brake dust) which has thinned or softened the chrome finish, and the cleaning brushes have simply worn away the finish.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? The issue is appearing on all 4 wheels, and there is no physical damage to the wheels (curb rash, etc.).

Thanks for everyone's time!

Sorry to bring back a old thread, but do you have any pictures by any chance. Was looking into getting these wheels but didnt understand the vapor chrome.
Old 10-21-20, 05:57 AM
hilltomtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 19 LS with some road rash on the vapor chrome wheel from a non Lexus dealer in Dallas. They were going to have them refinished at their cost. They could not find anybody local that would touch them due the vapor chrome finish. They said the only place you can get them refinished right was a shop in California that all Lexus dealers use. They estimated the cost at approximately $500 per wheel. I haven’t verified it but the wait time was 4-6 months after you send them the wheels due to COVID. I agreed to a cash payment instead. I don’t have any details on the shop but I’m just going to get some nice aftermarket wheels and call it a lesson learned.
Old 10-21-20, 09:04 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltomtx
I bought my 19 LS with some road rash on the vapor chrome wheel from a non Lexus dealer in Dallas. They were going to have them refinished at their cost. They could not find anybody local that would touch them due the vapor chrome finish. They said the only place you can get them refinished right was a shop in California that all Lexus dealers use. They estimated the cost at approximately $500 per wheel. I haven’t verified it but the wait time was 4-6 months after you send them the wheels due to COVID. I agreed to a cash payment instead. I don’t have any details on the shop but I’m just going to get some nice aftermarket wheels and call it a lesson learned.
I thought the wheels name was "vapor". I had no idea that it was the finish on the wheels. Seems to me the vapor finish is not as good as regular chrome?
Old 10-21-20, 10:26 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

To my eye they look like a tinted chrome
Old 10-21-20, 07:30 PM
hilltomtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vapor chrome wheels

They do look like tinted chrome. I like the look over chrome but if you have scuffing or curb rash, they are not easy to get refinished. I’m going to get a similar color in an aftermarket wheel just not the shiny chrome. Thinking Vosson?
Old 12-16-20, 04:58 PM
pharmdur
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a few issues with the same wheels. I purchased a wheel warranty from the dealership when I purchased the car only to find out that these wheels are not covered under the warranty!
Old 02-10-22, 01:50 PM
Wrocky32
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased a certified 2018 LS500 with the 20" chrome polished wheels last fall. Shortly after purchasing the car, I noticed that one wheel had some chrome finish peeling off. There is no curb rash or other damage that would have caused the chrome to peel. I still have the original tires so this isn't due to improper tire replacement either. I'm attaching a photo showing the rim. I'm working with my dealership to see if warranty will cover this. I sure hope it will. I'll keep you posted as I get more information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Chrome Finish LS500 Wheel.pdf (93.6 KB, 239 views)
Old 02-10-22, 05:59 PM
pharmdur
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel finish 2018 LS500

=RobertHu;10691191]Hello everyone...

Thanks for everyone's time![/QUOTE]
Old 02-11-22, 11:01 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same vapor wheels. No issue, but I wash car by hand or tell Lexus dealer to wash by hand. Told only to use the same soap you use to wash car. No brake cleaner or any other sprays as they do damage finish and there is no repair.
The following users liked this post:
sajack (01-04-23)
Old 02-11-22, 11:02 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Forgot to say I also have 2018 LS, and had it for 4 years.
Old 02-15-22, 05:55 AM
Wrocky32
Rookie

I wanted to update the group on my experience. After discussing with my local dealership, they are ordering a new wheel and will replace the flaking I'm seeing under warranty. I hope this helps others who might be experiencing the same issue. Outside of the flaking, the rest of this wheel and all other wheels look perfect after 3+ years.
Old 04-23-22, 03:25 PM
Wrocky32
Rookie

Default Dealer update

My 2018 LS500 with the 20” vapor chrome wheels went to the dealer for 30k service and to replace the wheel with the finish flaking off. The dealer took the new rim out of the box and immediately called me. The new rim did not match the finish of the wheels on my car. The wheels on my car look to be shiny chrome while the replacement wheel looks like smoked chrome.

After some additional investigation, it appears the previous owner had all four wheels refinished in a brighter chrome than comes from the factory. At least that is what the dealer is telling me. According to my window sticker this car originally has the vapor chrome finish wheels.

Despite being a lexus certified vehicle, the dealership hasn’t offered any solutions. The best part is that they managed to remove a lot more of the chrome finish. Before they messed with it, you only noticed the flaking when looking very close at the wheel. Now you can see the problem from 20 feet away

I am trying to contact the previous owner to see if I can find out who refinished the wheels. Wish me luck!!!

Quick Reply: 2018 LS500 Wheel Finish (Vapor Chrome Finish) issues