LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Lexus Working Hard to Attract Audi and BMW Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 07:22 AM
Hemmarket
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the dealer told me they can't move them, that's why the discounts. LS is still seen as an older persons car, and people spending in this class still go German.
Old 03-23-20, 09:14 AM
Hemmarket
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

And your maintenance and repairs will be 3x higher my friend. And lets see which car is still on the road in 7 yrs.
Old 03-23-20, 01:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemmarket
And your maintenance and repairs will be 3x higher my friend. And lets see which car is still on the road in 7 yrs.
At the end of the day though the Germans make cooler cars, going all the way back to the generation of my LS the Germans were offering the CL 55 and the V12 TT version, Lexus still doesn't offer anything like that.

Sometimes its really just cost be damned what is the most over the top awesome car one can buy. Lexus has never held that title, heck DODGE does a better job at that then they do.
Old 03-23-20, 03:08 PM
LexusFanUS
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I just traded my Tesla Model S for a Lexus LS. I'd say it was more a case of Tesla turning me off of them and I wanted a reliable car. So no Germans on my shopping list.
Old 03-24-20, 09:53 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Although I still feel Lexus is the ultimate care free luxury brand, I don’t see that many German car owners leaving their beloved brands for Lexus.
Each brand has it’s fan base/enthusiast and the frustrated and disgruntled owners that bounce around from brand to brand every 3 years are impressed mostly by new high tech gadgets then reliability track record. The enthusiast for German car manufacturers are total brand snobs and many of them would never see them selves in anything that doesn’t have a 3 pointed star, 4 interlocked rings or a dual color roundel.

Also I just want to defend the fact that some German cars can be owned for a couple hundred thousand miles. You just have to do your research prior to buying the car, so that you know which cars to avoid. Also the German automobiles tend to be very sensitive to lazy owners that just drive their vehicles and wait to something breaks before tending to it. Preventative maintenance is so important with any brand and replacing your powertrain fluids regularly will guarantee your engine and tranny last well over 175,000 miles. I’m not saying these cars will go for 300,000 miles like a ES 330 is capable of achieving, but 220,000 is very feasible. Of course by that point most of these cars are now on their 4th or 5th owner which typically is a high school or college kid who see’s a cheap Craigslist deal and is on a shoestring budget. So the preventative maintenance scenario kinda goes out the window.
The following users liked this post:
cochiseg (03-25-20)
Old 03-29-20, 05:27 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I was a long time Lexus LS owner (had 5 of them). But Lexus took forever to upgrade to the new LS500 and when it finally came out it was disappointing. I'm now on my 2nd S Class and can attest that it is a HUGE upgrade over the LS500. The S class is quite reliable too. (I turned in my 2017 S550 with 45,000 miles and zero issues!). Many luxury car buyers lease them since you can expense them better that way, so in reality, its a three-year car. Lexus LS, BMW 7 Series, MBZ S-Class, and Genesis G-90 will all be pretty much trouble-free for the first three years (and beyond). Yes, Lexus is still the most reliable car out there, but not by much. I'm willing to pay a little more in maintenance costs to get a much better car. In truth, the LS simply doesn't offer the same level of a luxury ride as the Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 series. This is why they are not selling very well despite being a new design, requiring Lexus to discount them heavily. IMHO, the new LS looks ugly from all sides, offers a small cabin for a luxury car, small trunk, its V6 isn't smooth, neither is its ride. I have a 2017 Lexus LX and it too is disappointing. (it drives like a truck, not a luxury car). It was due for a redesign a long time ago, which is what this model too barely sells. Lexus' RX-350 is magnificent (the best in its class) but ugly in my opinion. Hopefully, its looks will improve on its next redesign. The new ES sedan is also best in class. All their other models (GX, NX, GS) are old designs and are not selling well. IMO Lexus lost its direction a bit. Hopefully they will come out with better designs in the future and refresh them sooner.