LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Reluctantly - I couldn't buy an LS500

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 08:01 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reluctantly - I couldn't buy an LS500

I had a 2004 LS 430 which was a great car and looked forward to buying an LS 500. But for me the car was too disappointing and the more I test drove it the more disappointed I became. The number one issue was the lack of interior room, one of the things I loved about my LS 430. How in the world did they make the car dimensions bigger and every interior dimension smaller. I am 5'10" and in the back seat my hair brushes the roof top. Also, you can't put your feet under the front seat unless you raise the front seat. In the front there seemed to be less headroom and the black box behind the rear view mirror blocked a lot of forward vision for me. Between the headrest and the sloped rear window, there was very little vision out the rear.

Also the lack of the pass thru, while a small item to me was a mistake. Every once in a while you get something that will not fit in the trunk and having the pass thru available seemed like a no brainer.

I really like the Lexus brand, my wife currently has a 2013 GS, but I am not sure what Lexus was thinking or who it would appeal to. It certainly doesn't seem to appeal to former LS owners for space.

I wound up buying a new 2020 750i xdrive with a 7 year BMW warranty. Once the warranty is up the car will be gone because repairs on a BMW out of warranty is not something I want to deal with. While I know the cost of maintaining the car for normal maintenance items will be much more than a Lexus (Brakes, Battery, etc) for me I couldn't see gettgng a car that was not a good fit for me just because it was a Lexus.

There are things that I like about the BMW over the Lexus, much better NAV, 523 standard horsepower, way more interior room, and a pass thru. There are also things I liked better on the Lexus, auto fold mirrors when you shut off the car, the rear sunshade drops when you put the car in reverse, driver's seat moving back when you enter and leave the car.,

My intent is not to say people who bought an LS 500 made a bad choice, but disappointed in Lexus that the LS 500 is a disappointment by trying to satisfy both luxury and sport buyers and in my opinion missing the mark on both.

Hopefully Lexus will make the next gen a true luxury car again and maybe even 2 different models, a luxury version with a great large interior, and a sport version for the younger buyers.

I'd love to come back to Lexus in 2027.
Old 07-08-20, 08:45 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I just drove the LS500 for a couple hours on Monday and really enjoyed it. The model I drove was the F-Sport with Performance Package, so it had rear-wheel steering and a few other performance enhancing features.

I'm coming from a GS350 F-Sport. It blends sport and luxury well - it's the comfy cruiser when you want to relax but it's also the sharp and aggressive sport sedan when you want to have some fun. It makes for a great Grand Touring car, as the GS name suggests ('Grand Sedan') and I really enjoy it for these reasons.

I felt the LS500 F-Sport I drove embodied many of the same qualities and felt like a natural step-up from the GS F-Sport in the way it drove and in how the interior felt... just in a bigger, quieter, more refined, and sharper body. I really enjoyed how the LS500 drove. It felt like a much smaller car than the exterior dimensions would suggest... It's nowhere near as light and nimble as the GS and you can feel it, but it's still a very similar driving experience, especially switching through all the different drive modes. Comfort mode and Sport S+ mode brought out very different personalities, much like the GS, but to a much greater extent, while being significantly quieter and smoother the entire time.

I haven't driven prior generation LS models but followed them closely. I feel this current LS is a "LS" in that it fills the "full-size luxury sedan" slot in the lineup, though I suspect this is nowhere near the car traditional LS lovers think of when they think of the LS. If I didn't already know what it was and you showed me a LS500 and told me it was the next generation GS, which happened to moved up in size and class, I'd believe you.

Last edited by signdetres; 07-09-20 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-08-20, 08:51 PM
signdetres
Racer

The following users liked this post:
pass427 (12-22-20)
Old 08-17-20, 12:41 AM
kimjin19
Driver School Candidate

Received 48 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I have to say you are correct. LS500 is really not a roomy car, consider about its humongous out looking. 750Li would be a better choice from this perspective.
I own a LS500 and also a 2018 BMW 530i. The main reason which drove me buying the LS500 is the quality of the car, I mean all these nice materials and nice touches. 750 or S560 did not give me such a tactile impression. By and large, comparing with those German competitors, LS is heavier, slower, less power, less room, way worse entertainment system. However, if you are impressed with the design and quality of LS, then all these weaknesses won't be problems I guess
Old 08-17-20, 11:44 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I enjoyed my 2 years with the LS. By far the least roomiest of all the flagships but it's one of the best looking IMO.
Old 08-17-20, 06:05 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

So the LS 500 was geared towards younger buyers from what Lexus stated, they were trying to get younger buyers. I do agree as this LS has about similar dimensions for the driver as my GS. The thing is the fsport that is feels very gs like when driving like signdetres stated, but again that exterior presence looks so sick that I love having this car. The other thing is the outgoing LS just wasn’t sporty, I drove it it was definitely not for windy roads more just long trips. Signdetres you coming to the LS side.
signdetres (08-19-20)
Old 08-20-20, 04:36 AM
donjo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 LS 460. Love it. Only has 37k miles on it and runs like new. The last time I went for service I sat in the new model. Really claustrophobic in there compared with mine. I really wanted to like the new version, but it is not on par with current premium sedans with regard to room and comfort. I face the same decision, do I choose a reliable car or one that I will enjoy driving more, but may have to service more often
Old 08-22-20, 01:58 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

The new LS is not a replacement for the LS, but a bigger GS.
The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
BuyingLX (11-04-20), greys0uled (03-17-22)
Old 08-23-20, 12:16 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
The new LS is not a replacement for the LS, but a bigger GS.
This is good news for us GS owners who have no other RWD option. The IS might work for some but it's tiny. The AWD ES will be FWD bias and severely underpowered. And after getting the new ES on loan, it's a step down from the GS in just about every way. So maybe the LS is the way forward when it's time.
Old 08-23-20, 05:58 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the LS500 is a 2 door car masquerading as a 4 door car. They don't expect people to use it as a family car, the backseat is for little doggies. If you want space and family car they expect you to buy an RX or GX.

Old 08-24-20, 06:36 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

There is more space in the back when compared to an RX or GX as far as legroom is concerned when you actually sit in the car. It's not as much as the LWB, but its about the same as the SWB.

Are you referring to headroom? If so GX has more as it's an SUV.
Old 08-24-20, 07:40 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

this thread somes up the issues with the Ls500

Ten years in development and this is the best they could do with interior room, ergonomics and a nav interface
laughable at best and then add in 20 mpg combine in realistic driving with city and this car really missed the mark

I happen to think its a good car but not a car the the LS demographic could embrace nor reflect 10 years of Lexus pursuit of perfection.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikesrx350:
bjjones (11-13-20), greys0uled (03-17-22)
Old 08-24-20, 07:59 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
this thread somes up the issues with the Ls500

Ten years in development and this is the best they could do with interior room, ergonomics and a nav interface
laughable at best and then add in 20 mpg combine in realistic driving with city and this car really missed the mark

I happen to think its a good car but not a car the the LS demographic could embrace nor reflect 10 years of Lexus pursuit of perfection.
Lexus no longer uses that "pursuit of perfection" slogan anymore... simply "Experience Amazing." They started using the new tagline around the time the new LS and LC launched. I kind of wish they'd have stuck with "The Pursuit of Perfection" but it is what it is.
bigblack06 (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 08:17 AM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I test drove one about 2 years ago and I really liked everything about the car with the exception of the front grille. Some of you have pointed out legitimate faults, but none pertained to my situation. Space isn't a factor, nor rear seat room, nor the lack of a pass through and so on. I might have preferred a V8, but the engine was powerful enough for my purposes.

Overall though I agree that Lexus has seemed to have lost its way with this car. Whenever I replace my 2007 I'll consider the 500 but I have to get past that grille. Maybe they'll do a refresh and make it smaller.
NotFasty (09-17-20)
Old 08-24-20, 08:17 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Just wait tell the refresh comes out it will be worse as I think everything they fixed was an afterthought, especially the nav screen.

Quick Reply: Reluctantly - I couldn't buy an LS500