LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS500 on 2nd blown motor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 10:02 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MHB1535
After our meeting with dealership they themselves already told is that they are going to try to lemon the car because they dont want us to drive this car. A week ago we got a call from the dealer saying that Lexus will begin a buyback of the vehicle with no strings attached. Fast forward to this past evening we get a 2nd call from the dealer. Now they are saying that we need to buy or lease any car from them for this buyback to go through. The car has already been in the shop for more than 30 days for this issue. We are going to meet with the dealer tomorrow and see our options.
Since you are not at fault there should not be any conditions imposed by the dealer. I would report this directly to Lexus. I wish you a satisfactory outcome.
The following users liked this post:
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 05-02-21, 12:54 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry for the late update. Car was lemon'd. The GM basically said he isn't comfortable giving us the car and had already started the lemon law process as soon as the car was towed to the dealership. Whole process took about 2 weeks. The dealer and my dad tried to find a car he would enjoy but there is currently nothing they sell that he would want. He just leased a '21 750i.
The following 2 users liked this post by MHB1535:
E46CT (05-03-21), rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 05-04-21, 07:28 AM
arc3886
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you

Sorry for the late update. Car was lemon'd. The GM basically said he isn't comfortable giving us the car and had already started the lemon law process as soon as the car was towed to the dealership. Whole process took about 2 weeks. The dealer and my dad tried to find a car he would enjoy but there is currently nothing they sell that he would want. He just leased a '21 750i.
Have you guys seen the consumer reports reliability ratings for the 2018 LS?

I've never seen an LS or any Lexus for that matter rank so low in reliability, I literally couldn't even believe the results when I first saw them, mind you these results come from surveys sent out to owners, I initially told my father who was thinking of buying one that it's too soon to know long-term reliability for the LS and Toyota products as a whole are outstandingly reliable, basically I was skeptical. So I did some Google searching and I came upon this thread, I wonder how common these engine issues are Maybe this is why people have responded to the consumer report survey and it has thus yielded the low reliability ratings...
Chaos236 (01-14-24)
Old 07-10-21, 05:06 AM
BonnerBB
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

He just leased a '21 750i.
Good luck with that! 😂
The following 3 users liked this post by BonnerBB:
MrDOS (08-02-21), rw3 (10-11-23), sajack (12-23-23)
Old 07-11-21, 11:50 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BonnerBB
Good luck with that! 😂
Leasing is the right move for this car. It should last that long, I hope 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by mbarron37:
DanTeSlagX (02-28-24), rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 07-12-21, 05:46 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BonnerBB
Good luck with that! 😂
I would recommend everyone in this forum drive a new 750i. The LS honestly can't even be compared to the 7. The 7 is leaps and bounds ahead of the LS. Interior and tech in the 7 makes the LS feel like a last gen car. Infotainment is massively better. I can't even compare performance. There is no Lexus on sale that would hold a candle to the 750i in a straight line. I sold my RC F for Widebody Charger Hellcat last summer. I raced the 750i from a dig and I couldn't reel it in until around 130~.
gemini6kl (09-17-22)
Old 07-15-21, 11:22 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I would recommend everyone in this forum drive a new 750i. The LS honestly can't even be compared to the 7. The 7 is leaps and bounds ahead of the LS. Interior and tech in the 7 makes the LS feel like a last gen car. Infotainment is massively better. I can't even compare performance. There is no Lexus on sale that would hold a candle to the 750i in a straight line. I sold my RC F for Widebody Charger Hellcat last summer. I raced the 750i from a dig and I couldn't reel it in until around 130~.
As long as he leased the BMW then that's fine. I've had too many friends with BMW's who had them in the shop a lot.
sajack (12-23-23)
Old 07-15-21, 03:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

A lot of people hold onto/clutch onto certain periods of German car history. One of those unfortunate perceptions is some of the early -mid 2000s/2010 BMW 7 Series which gave a bad rep for the entire brand. BMW are innovators so they quickly and readily strut out new tech/powertrains and roll the dice. So naturally there'll be some evolutionary hiccups.

The BMW straight six powertrains though are largely bulletproof. V8 valve guides, valve stem seals, valvetronic units from earlier models experienced growing pains.

Obviously BMW has learned a lot since. Can't really fault the new cars based on old car history, in the same way you can't necessarily deem the new LSs to have the same reliability and durability of the old ones.

Just as you've had friends who have had BMWs in the shop, I've had my own BMWs with 200k+ without a single failure. Same w/ friends.

And I have friends with lexuses with frequent and repeat problems.

All brands have their ups and downs and generally yes Lexus is more reliable, but that's cause Lexus doesn't like to take chances. And when they do, you see what happens. Growing pains are a necessary step in any automotive brand's attempt to take their powertrains and tech to the next level.
AquaBill (08-20-22)
Old 07-08-22, 05:26 PM
Chgidem
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I am new here on the LS side. I've usually been on the RC F side but haven't posted in awhile. Now to the point. My dad bought his 2018 LS500 F Sport AWD back in September '18. This past September around 21k miles, the motor threw a rod. I was driving at first and heard a very slight knock. Dad was in his DB11. Heading back home, he was driving the LS and the knocking became increasingly loud and the motor failed on the highway. Called a tow, sent the DB11 45 minutes home to get moms LX570 to fit the rest of the family. Car was towed to the dealership. The diagnosis was rod bearing failure. Lexus decided to only replace the bottom end even though the general manager and us pleaded to Lexus for a whole new motor. Fast forward to last Wednesday. Just a week after coming back from its 25k service, the motor blew again. Same rod knock. Has anyone experienced this issue? We've bought many Lexus vehicles for over 25 years and this first time any Lexus has ever given us problems.
Hi, I have a 2018 Lexus LS500 just bought 2 months ago from Lexus Dealership as L/Certified vehicle with 29k miles on it, My engine failed as well last night on its 34k mileage,I was driving and heard some knocking noise when accelerating, then check engine light came up and the car shut down while I was driving I barely pulled over, towed it to nearby lexus dealer and all they know as of now is that the car has internal engine issue, waiting for lexus of north america to contact my dealer back,. so frustrating
Old 07-09-22, 02:44 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chgidem
Hi, I have a 2018 Lexus LS500 just bought 2 months ago from Lexus Dealership as L/Certified vehicle with 29k miles on it, My engine failed as well last night on its 34k mileage,I was driving and heard some knocking noise when accelerating, then check engine light came up and the car shut down while I was driving I barely pulled over, towed it to nearby lexus dealer and all they know as of now is that the car has internal engine issue, waiting for lexus of north america to contact my dealer back,. so frustrating
keep us posted. Am curious what the details are. What build month (you can find it on the drivers side door jam) is your 2018?
Old 07-11-22, 09:43 AM
leowaner
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rod failures are rare. Sounds like Lexus had a bad production run that got thru their QA? Does Toyota use sintered rods?
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 12-21-23, 10:56 AM
Profitwho
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS 500 2019 Suspected engine blown.

I recently noticed the engine knocking and ticking. Really bad loss of horsepower dropped it off at the dealer. Have not heard anything back from them. I called the other day to get an update. They told me they were in the process of tearing the motor apart and sending pictures to lexus to get Advisement on how to move forward with this issue. Buyer beware.

Hi everyone. I am new here on the LS side. I've usually been on the RC F side but haven't posted in awhile. Now to the point. My dad bought his 2018 LS500 F Sport AWD back in September '18. This past September around 21k miles, the motor threw a rod. I was driving at first and heard a very slight knock. Dad was in his DB11. Heading back home, he was driving the LS and the knocking became increasingly loud and the motor failed on the highway. Called a tow, sent the DB11 45 minutes home to get moms LX570 to fit the rest of the family. Car was towed to the dealership. The diagnosis was rod bearing failure. Lexus decided to only replace the bottom end even though the general manager and us pleaded to Lexus for a whole new motor. Fast forward to last Wednesday. Just a week after coming back from its 25k service, the motor blew again. Same rod knock. Has anyone experienced this issue? We've bought many Lexus vehicles for over 25 years and this first time any Lexus has ever given us problems.
LexTess (12-21-23)
Old 12-22-23, 09:14 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Akio Toyoda and his “no more boring cars” nonsense🤦‍♂️ Glad they fired his butt!!!
Old 04-05-24, 04:51 PM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10k oil interval

V35FTS oil should be changed at 3k. Period.
The following 2 users liked this post by ikhanbbb:
bigblack06 (05-14-24), Lingus (04-14-24)
Old 04-05-24, 10:40 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ikhanbbb
V35FTS oil should be changed at 3k. Period.
I do it every 10k, which is usually 18-24 months
sajack (04-23-24)

Quick Reply: 2018 LS500 on 2nd blown motor.