LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS500 on 2nd blown motor.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 05:05 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

this guy has convinced me that 5k oil changes are mandatory for engine longevity. Research on your own and do what you want... another good channel is Dave's Auto Center, they do Diesel engine rebuilds. They require a 3k oil change to maintain their engine warrantee. A little different than a 3.4L TT gas engine. But still. It's cheap insurance against a major repair bill.
The following users liked this post:
Lingus (04-14-24)
Old 04-07-24, 08:49 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dan25man
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJhFAw...aW50ZXJ2YWw%3D

this guy has convinced me that 5k oil changes are mandatory for engine longevity. Research on your own and do what you want... another good channel is Dave's Auto Center, they do Diesel engine rebuilds. They require a 3k oil change to maintain their engine warrantee. A little different than a 3.4L TT gas engine. But still. It's cheap insurance against a major repair bill.
Do you think there is bias from the video as this is done by a mechanic? If more people get oil changes, the mechanic gets more money?
Old 04-08-24, 04:30 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

If it makes you feel good, then do it.
Personally I think every time you loosen a bolt on a car there is a potential for a problem.
Old 04-08-24, 10:49 AM
leowaner
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Changing Confusion

Like so many other issues that tangle with the internet, manufacturing OEM 'experts', oil technology changes, environmental preferences, and governmental "green disciple" directives...PLUS. political "spin"; engine oil type, weight, change frequency, and its additives are NO DIFFERENT. One would think that the OEM experts that designed their engines should the best arbiters of what type and frequency of oil changes are needed? However, engine start/stop frequency thru the "cold to operating temperature" phases, fuel types & quality [i.e. ethanol %], city vs. highway miles, etc... etc.. all can impact the engine oil life. Also newer engines with Gas Particulate Filters [GPFs] are also playing into new, and more expensive oil types [Eco] with lower viscosity and less exhaust particulate generation to improve the engines' efficiency and reducing the oil pumping load on the engine, accordingly, and not to get fined by the EPA, auto manufacturers are worshipping at the MPG and environmental "friendly" altar, at the expense of "long term" reliability. For example, Porsche & VW have moved to 10K oil change frequency on almost all of their newer, post-2021, engines. Numerous engine rebuilders and aftermarket "experts" suggest oil change frequencies of once a year, or at 10K miles stretches the limit on filters and oil... and is NOT LIKELY OPTIMAL for maximum engine life. NOW, do the more frequent "oil changers" and their aftermarket parts wholesalers have a "dog in this hunt", YES, they most certainly do, in selling more engine oil, filters, and other aftermarket parts. ERGO.... personally I try to stay around the 5K miles to do my oil changes, or at least annually as a "rule of thumb", with oil that meets or exceeds the specifications for the engine that oil will be used in!
Old 04-14-24, 05:03 PM
Lingus
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Regarding oil change interval...... EGR will destroy an IC engine. EGRs are far more sophisticated than the crude systems of the 70's. Ever wonder why GDI engines turn into a creosote fossil after long? EGR. Given EPA and their cadre of lunatics effort to jam it square up everyones *** by forcing everyone to absorb the cost of every gadget they can come up with, one way to counter it is frequent oil changes. And until someone comes up with a tune and minor modifications to deal with EGR in the LS, shorter intervals are in order, especially for boosted engines like in the LS. For boosted diesels, EGR is a nightmare.
Old 04-14-24, 05:11 PM
Lingus
Pit Crew

I should add PCV and EGR together. They destroy together.
Old 04-15-24, 08:12 PM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 5k OCI on both my 430 and 460 with whatever was on sale that was full syn.
They drained a dark gold color even with a lead foot and florida sun.

Now I completely get the whole 10k OCI based on the manual. Respectfully its your car.

But after 4 years of LS500 ownership - 3k OCI is truly the hidden secret to whether or not this motor will last.

I dont deep dive into the weeds with the whole Oil analysis thing but i can speak how hard this v6TT is on oil from the changes ive done.

Old 04-22-24, 05:23 PM
leowaner
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Per ikhanbbb, I totally agree with that commentary on two fronts.... the first couple of thousand miles on ANY ICE engine is extreme important with regard to oil cleanliness, not just with regard to byproducts of combustion, but any remaining metal particulate, cleaning byproducts, and other plastic or composite material remaining in the engine during the assembly process. An early, out-of-cycle OCI would be important and justified regardless of manufacturer. Oil and filters are sooooo cheap compared the the alternative potential problems avoided.... and second, like it or not, turbocharged engines are just more vulnerable to oil heat stress, material particulate, suspended carbon, water, acids, coolants, and other special break-in wear offal that finds its way into the engine oil. Turbocharged engines, and especially the turbochargers themselves, are less reliable because the technology inside turbos has changed from older, babbit type bearings, to new, higher performance, quicker spool up, lower impeller weight/higher RPM, higher heat tolerant, ceramic bearings, which are sensitive to oil bypass problems at both cooler and higher temperatures, pressure fluctuations, and suspended particulate. The oil pressure must be carefully monitored to prevent oil bypass or scavenging during the cold to operating temperature cycles. These turbo bearing seals, must adapt to these oil pressure changes because if not, they permit oil bypass, which is then burned in combustion process and can foul the downstream catalytic converters and NOW also foul the recently added GPF [Gas Particulate Filters] in the exhaust systems. No way would I use a new OEM installed engine oil fill for 10K miles; which many manufacturers are now recommending.... Porsche and VW included on that list. I totally don't understand this premise.
Old 04-24-24, 03:57 PM
Lingus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by leowaner
Per ikhanbbb, I totally agree with that commentary on two fronts.... the first couple of thousand miles on ANY ICE engine is extreme important with regard to oil cleanliness, not just with regard to byproducts of combustion, but any remaining metal particulate, cleaning byproducts, and other plastic or composite material remaining in the engine during the assembly process. An early, out-of-cycle OCI would be important and justified regardless of manufacturer. Oil and filters are sooooo cheap compared the the alternative potential problems avoided.... and second, like it or not, turbocharged engines are just more vulnerable to oil heat stress, material particulate, suspended carbon, water, acids, coolants, and other special break-in wear offal that finds its way into the engine oil. Turbocharged engines, and especially the turbochargers themselves, are less reliable because the technology inside turbos has changed from older, babbit type bearings, to new, higher performance, quicker spool up, lower impeller weight/higher RPM, higher heat tolerant, ceramic bearings, which are sensitive to oil bypass problems at both cooler and higher temperatures, pressure fluctuations, and suspended particulate. The oil pressure must be carefully monitored to prevent oil bypass or scavenging during the cold to operating temperature cycles. These turbo bearing seals, must adapt to these oil pressure changes because if not, they permit oil bypass, which is then burned in combustion process and can foul the downstream catalytic converters and NOW also foul the recently added GPF [Gas Particulate Filters] in the exhaust systems. No way would I use a new OEM installed engine oil fill for 10K miles; which many manufacturers are now recommending.... Porsche and VW included on that list. I totally don't understand this premise.
I'm with you on the OCI but the comments on the turbos are overstated.
Old 04-29-24, 11:31 AM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Thorough explanation and well said!

10k oci with the right engine, vehicle, driving pattern, and climate may fit the bill for most folks.

Old 04-29-24, 12:26 PM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Turbo engines produce more heat and load than N/A and its just that simple for me to say they require different intervals even in stock form.

If I was stock and drove like a normal person then 5k OCI would be my choice.

Last edited by ikhanbbb; 04-29-24 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-10-24, 04:40 AM
arc3886
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E46CT
A lot of people hold onto/clutch onto certain periods of German car history. One of those unfortunate perceptions is some of the early -mid 2000s/2010 BMW 7 Series which gave a bad rep for the entire brand. BMW are innovators so they quickly and readily strut out new tech/powertrains and roll the dice. So naturally there'll be some evolutionary hiccups.

The BMW straight six powertrains though are largely bulletproof. V8 valve guides, valve stem seals, valvetronic units from earlier models experienced growing pains.

Obviously BMW has learned a lot since. Can't really fault the new cars based on old car history, in the same way you can't necessarily deem the new LSs to have the same reliability and durability of the old ones.

Just as you've had friends who have had BMWs in the shop, I've had my own BMWs with 200k+ without a single failure. Same w/ friends.

And I have friends with lexuses with frequent and repeat problems.

All brands have their ups and downs and generally yes Lexus is more reliable, but that's cause Lexus doesn't like to take chances. And when they do, you see what happens. Growing pains are a necessary step in any automotive brand's attempt to take their powertrains and tech to the next level.
Which models of BMWs have you had that have had zero problems for more than 200,000 miles?

​​
Old 05-10-24, 12:22 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

I loved my many straight 6 BMW's.
Problem free for 200k? Laughable comment.
I never kept them that long and I never had major issue but I usually sold them by 80k miles.
Lovely cars. That was then. This is now.
More folks I know with big mile Toyota/Lexus are more frequent. Does it mean Lexus has lemons once in a while? Of course they do . No car is perfect.
I will say I enjoyed my BMW's more then my Lexus. But thats very subjective. But I really am loving my LS500 and with only 40k miles, 12k by me alone we are very happy together.
Hope it stays that way.

Troll on....
Old 05-10-24, 01:23 PM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Engine Life

You guys worry too much. I have owned about 40 vehicles of all sorts. I drove most of them pretty hard, had one engine failure and that was a flathead six Plymouth that I had in high school. Oh yeah, I blew up a friend’s Mustang on the drag strip once.
I have only had three turbocharged vehicles, but no problems there either.
Nowdays I use fully synthetic motor oil and pretty much follow the mfr. recommendations.
What, me worry?
Old 05-10-24, 08:04 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

our 2010 A4 2.0 Audi avant at 65k miles was boring so much oil they offered a very generous buy out or rebuild the motor. We took the buyout. Audi also gave us 20% off on new Audi. They took care of us. We had all oil done at dealership. car was out of warranty and they were great. It happens. The 2015 all road we had was doing great until we were rear ended and car totaled also with 65k. Our 2018 all road motor is doing great. Oil levels all good.
Sometimes "stealership" is a good idea.

Quick Reply: 2018 LS500 on 2nd blown motor.