LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS500 on 2nd blown motor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 12:22 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2018 LS500 on 2nd blown motor.

Hi everyone. I am new here on the LS side. I've usually been on the RC F side but haven't posted in awhile. Now to the point. My dad bought his 2018 LS500 F Sport AWD back in September '18. This past September around 21k miles, the motor threw a rod. I was driving at first and heard a very slight knock. Dad was in his DB11. Heading back home, he was driving the LS and the knocking became increasingly loud and the motor failed on the highway. Called a tow, sent the DB11 45 minutes home to get moms LX570 to fit the rest of the family. Car was towed to the dealership. The diagnosis was rod bearing failure. Lexus decided to only replace the bottom end even though the general manager and us pleaded to Lexus for a whole new motor. Fast forward to last Wednesday. Just a week after coming back from its 25k service, the motor blew again. Same rod knock. Has anyone experienced this issue? We've bought many Lexus vehicles for over 25 years and this first time any Lexus has ever given us problems.
The following users liked this post:
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 01-24-21, 05:29 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

wow so unfortunate
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 01-24-21, 04:01 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow - Lexus is planning to use this twin-turbo engine in several of their vehicles (notably the upcoming LX/LQ), this isn't great...
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 01-25-21, 04:26 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MHB1535
Hi everyone. I am new here on the LS side. I've usually been on the RC F side but haven't posted in awhile. Now to the point. My dad bought his 2018 LS500 F Sport AWD back in September '18. This past September around 21k miles, the motor threw a rod. I was driving at first and heard a very slight knock. Dad was in his DB11. Heading back home, he was driving the LS and the knocking became increasingly loud and the motor failed on the highway. Called a tow, sent the DB11 45 minutes home to get moms LX570 to fit the rest of the family. Car was towed to the dealership. The diagnosis was rod bearing failure. Lexus decided to only replace the bottom end even though the general manager and us pleaded to Lexus for a whole new motor. Fast forward to last Wednesday. Just a week after coming back from its 25k service, the motor blew again. Same rod knock. Has anyone experienced this issue? We've bought many Lexus vehicles for over 25 years and this first time any Lexus has ever given us problems.
Nope this is the first I've heard of it, that sucks I would definitely make a stink about this to Lexus corporate as they may listen since its there flagship. From what I was told by my service manager, when I got something fixed, they have to be approved and approved again in japan on anything to do with the LS.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 01-25-21, 02:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

I think your father has to dig in his heels and insist on a new engine. For this to happen twice I would assume this is a bad engine and patch repairs will probably not fix it.

At the very least they need to give him an extended warranty.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 01-25-21, 03:29 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I think your father has to dig in his heels and insist on a new engine. For this to happen twice I would assume this is a bad engine and patch repairs will probably not fix it.

At the very least they need to give him an extended warranty.
I think he is planning on going to the dealership tomorrow and see what they can do. We have a very good relationship with gm. Hopefully this time Lexus approves a new motor. His lease ends in September. I dont think my dad would push hard for an extended warranty. He was planning on buying this car out at the end of the lease but after the 1st motor failure he just wants to hand them back the keys.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 01-29-21, 03:10 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Any update on this situation? I hope Lexus makes this fiasco right.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 02-01-21, 01:51 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MHB1535
WOW... first time I've ever heard of a Lexus engine failing like that.... twice !!!!! Man that's a first... good luck with it.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 02-02-21, 02:57 PM
leowaner
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know how you can throw a rod on an internal combustion engine of ANY type and NOT have to get a complete new motor, especially on an 'interference type' engine. This sounds like something was inhaled into the the engine.... a turbo blade, dropped a valve, or perhaps a piece of the piston broke. Did the engine seize? I'm sure the ECM now can tell the Lexus dealership something too? The rod failure location, engine RPM at the time of failure, water temp, oil pressure, etc. etc. Most of the racing engines I've worked on that have a catastrophic failure.... and a rod failure is certainly that, it breaks the block, crank, and bent or broken valves..... in short the entire short block is trash... and even the heads and upper end are likely questionable. If anything aluminum part is reused, it should be "old terminology"...fluorescent penetrant inspected [Zyglow?], which is roughly equivalent to magna fluxing in ferrous metals... only with some sort of dye, I believe.
LSNewbie (08-19-24)
Old 02-04-21, 10:59 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

After our meeting with dealership they themselves already told is that they are going to try to lemon the car because they dont want us to drive this car. A week ago we got a call from the dealer saying that Lexus will begin a buyback of the vehicle with no strings attached. Fast forward to this past evening we get a 2nd call from the dealer. Now they are saying that we need to buy or lease any car from them for this buyback to go through. The car has already been in the shop for more than 30 days for this issue. We are going to meet with the dealer tomorrow and see our options.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 02-04-21, 11:02 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Originally Posted by leowaner
I don't know how you can throw a rod on an internal combustion engine of ANY type and NOT have to get a complete new motor, especially on an 'interference type' engine. This sounds like something was inhaled into the the engine.... a turbo blade, dropped a valve, or perhaps a piece of the piston broke. Did the engine seize? I'm sure the ECM now can tell the Lexus dealership something too? The rod failure location, engine RPM at the time of failure, water temp, oil pressure, etc. etc. Most of the racing engines I've worked on that have a catastrophic failure.... and a rod failure is certainly that, it breaks the block, crank, and bent or broken valves..... in short the entire short block is trash... and even the heads and upper end are likely questionable. If anything aluminum part is reused, it should be "old terminology"...fluorescent penetrant inspected [Zyglow?], which is roughly equivalent to magna fluxing in ferrous metals... only with some sort of dye, I believe.
On the first failure the engine did seize. They did not tell what caused the rod to break except telling us that it broke lol. The 2nd failure I got it home before it could seize. My dad and I both had a feeling that using the old upper end would eventually lead to a failure. The dealer hasn't told us the cause but that's what we are assuming.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 02-05-21, 03:40 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

I do not believe there is any requirement to buy another vehicle from that dealership or manufacturer if the car is deemed a lemon under the lemon law. Of course details vary by state.

Lexus denied a new motor the first time around, that’s embarrassing. If it were me, I would be hard pressed to buy another Lexus, even if just for spite.

IMO, this entire disaster has been handled poorly by Lexus. They should have stepped up the first time. I would not feel comfortable getting another LS. Still, Lexus overall are generally highly reliable, so who knows.
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 02-05-21, 09:11 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

How often is the oil changed?
rw3 (10-11-23)
Old 02-08-21, 07:43 AM
leowaner
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Normally a lower end rod or main bearing failure are pretty rare.... usually caused by an oil blockage to an oil galley within the engine.... a "spun bearing" can cause this blockage, a "no oil" condition, or bad oil, can too? These engines will take a lot of abuse and not fail catestrophically like this. Errors in engine assembly, i.e., over or under-torquing bearing caps can cause these problems too, micrometers are the best, but we used Plastigage too [old school]??? In a factory assembly all engine bearing torques are performed robotically now, and are computer logged by VIN/Engine code so errors are immediately found and corrected. HOWEVER, a spectral oil analysis can detect the various suspended metals in the oil [not seen in a oil pan or a magnet], any lubrucity breakdown of the oil, due to heat or contamination, and even the oil age [as compared to normal use], etc. Its amazing what a spectral analysis of the oil can tell a troubleshooter.... type of gasoline being burned, octane range, ethanol content, hydroscopic content, pre-detonation...... etc, etc.

In turbo or supercharged engines... ingestion of debris is more common.... But in short, the first Lexus dealership, and maybe Lexus overall, fumbled the ball on this one? Looks like you're on the right path now.
LSNewbie (08-19-24)
Old 02-13-21, 06:33 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

What was the outcome at the dealership? Did they lemon the LS and get your father into. New Lexus? Or is this all still TBD?
rw3 (10-11-23)

Quick Reply: 2018 LS500 on 2nd blown motor.