LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

What issues have YOU had with your LS500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 02:34 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ballaz
3). Gas cap does not lock open. Loose at attachment hinge.
4). Loud squak/noise when I depress the brakes 1st think in the morning.
Re #3, is that normal or not? Mine does not lock open either. The local service advisor makes me feel like my issues are "normal characteristics" when I bring it in for service so I haven't mentioned it since I don't know if it's normal or not. This one isn't a big deal to me.

Re #4, I asked about that and was told it's normal. I don't believe that, but nothing I can do if they say that. They didn't even test drive the car. It squeaks if I press the brake hard, they basically said that the system is "priming" for emergency braking.
Old 04-21-21, 02:47 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Re #3, is that normal or not? Mine does not lock open either. The local service advisor makes me feel like my issues are "normal characteristics" when I bring it in for service so I haven't mentioned it since I don't know if it's normal or not. This one isn't a big deal to me.

Re #4, I asked about that and was told it's normal. I don't believe that, but nothing I can do if they say that. They didn't even test drive the car. It squeaks if I press the brake hard, they basically said that the system is "priming" for emergency braking.
#3 gas cap door on mine also doesn’t lock open. I thought it was odd but it seems as though we all have this issue.

OP do you also have this issue?
Old 04-21-21, 08:05 PM
sambrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmade22
I just picked up a 2018 LS500 with 1200 miles on the clock from my dealer. I noticed that this drivers seat hurts to sit in after about 45 minutes. I noticed these lumps on the seats in the exact same spot as your car OP! My passenger seat is nice and smooth.

Three lumps to be exact. Two on the left side and one on the right side. Bringing my car in for a transmission issue on Friday and I’m also going to be bringing up this issue with the seat.

My finger and thumb are directly over the areas where it’s sticking out.

Hey I actually noticed the third lump in my seat as well! Make sure they put a ticket on this. Without the feedback from the customers, the fix will never be eventually put out. It seems obvious that the newer models came out with more "cushion" in the seats. Lumps from the bottom of the seat are an issue and should be fixed. If anyone has a 2018 or 2019 Lexus LS 500 with bumps (lumps) on the bottom portion of the seat, please speak up and inform your Lexus Dealership! This WILL be fixed with enough folks that provide feedback.
Old 04-22-21, 04:31 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

I’m glad you brought this up as I was thinking I was crazy to think this LS seat is uncomfortable compared to my previous Lexus cars. The passenger seat is fine and my wife and I took the car out this weekend and she was in total comfort. My dealership here in Charlotte, NC doesn’t mess around and I have the most confidence in them that they’ll take care of this issues.

Your car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty correct?
Old 04-24-21, 12:42 AM
sambrian
Driver School Candidate

I’m glad you brought this up as I was thinking I was crazy to think this LS seat is uncomfortable compared to my previous Lexus cars. The passenger seat is fine and my wife and I took the car out this weekend and she was in total comfort. My dealership here in Charlotte, NC doesn’t mess around and I have the most confidence in them that they’ll take care of this issues.

Your car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty correct?
Yes sir - this is still under the bumper to bumper - just barely..... But dealership concluded that they cannot do anything to fix this. I believe that my dealership is no-joke as well - but they can't fix something that doesn't have a "fix" yet. If somehow they did do something to remedy this for you, please share with the LS owners here. What's crazy, is that no one would ever notice these large lumps, until you sat down and really tried to figure out what is poking you from below. To the naked eye, without applying your full weight on the seat itself, you may not know it. But when you sit down and feel protruding lumps in the seats, it is then you learn why things have been uncomfortable (in those areas). It took me 3 months of ownership to learn why I lose circulation in my legs while I drive. (I happen to drive no less than 1.5 hours each time I drive the car) To me, this could potentially turn into a HUGE liability issue for Lexus - especially when customers have come forward and specifically stated these facts. I am confident that they will remedy this soon. I keep buying the brand, because of the level of service that Lexus offers. The cars are pretty cool too
Old 04-24-21, 12:45 AM
sambrian
Driver School Candidate

Less than 10K miles for me, but...
- driver seat massage air leak (replaced seat cushion & electric module)
- air suspension not sitting level (they did the relearn procedure)
- rattle over bumps by heads up display (placed piece of foam in there)
- coolant level dropping (seems OK now I think it was burping air)
- white smoke from exhaust under heavy acceleration (they could not find anything, I think it's condensation)

Also had fuel pump recall done last summer.

Currently have to take it back next week for the seat massage air hiss again.
I also noticed an incredible amount of condensation shooting out the rear after a swift take-off. Every once in a while I will make sure to "clean the pipes" and get all that out.
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (04-24-21)
Old 04-24-21, 06:29 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

#3 gas cap door on mine also doesn’t lock open. I thought it was odd but it seems as though we all have this issue.

OP do you also have this issue?
what is meant by “does not lock open” ? My gas cap door sometimes does not open when pushing the button by the trunk button. I have to slide a credit card in the crack around the door to put outward pressure on the door and then push the button for the door to open. Of course, the credit card falls to the ground, sometimes under the car which is a bummer..
Old 04-24-21, 04:31 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
what is meant by “does not lock open” ? My gas cap door sometimes does not open when pushing the button by the trunk button. I have to slide a credit card in the crack around the door to put outward pressure on the door and then push the button for the door to open. Of course, the credit card falls to the ground, sometimes under the car which is a bummer..

That’s not the issue we are talking about. You have a legitimate issue with yours. When we physically open the gas door all the way open, it doesn’t stay fully open and closes slightly.
Old 04-24-21, 04:34 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sambrian
Yes sir - this is still under the bumper to bumper - just barely..... But dealership concluded that they cannot do anything to fix this. I believe that my dealership is no-joke as well - but they can't fix something that doesn't have a "fix" yet. If somehow they did do something to remedy this for you, please share with the LS owners here. What's crazy, is that no one would ever notice these large lumps, until you sat down and really tried to figure out what is poking you from below. To the naked eye, without applying your full weight on the seat itself, you may not know it. But when you sit down and feel protruding lumps in the seats, it is then you learn why things have been uncomfortable (in those areas). It took me 3 months of ownership to learn why I lose circulation in my legs while I drive. (I happen to drive no less than 1.5 hours each time I drive the car) To me, this could potentially turn into a HUGE liability issue for Lexus - especially when customers have come forward and specifically stated these facts. I am confident that they will remedy this soon. I keep buying the brand, because of the level of service that Lexus offers. The cars are pretty cool too
I have my car in the dealer as we speak. My advisor has never heard of this issue before either so I have a feeling nothing will be done at this go around. The bumps are in my passenger seat but not as bad as the drivers seat. I hope they have a fix going forward. My warranty isn’t up till March 2022. I’ve got some time but my *** says otherwise! Thanks for the heads up regarding this and please let me know if they come to a solution. Of course I’ll do the same on my end.
Old 04-26-21, 07:25 AM
Bogatyr77
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus LS500 leased new with 22K miles. In Florida, but the car is garaged both at home and at work. I have never used any chemicals or cleaning agents on the steering wheel. Lexus is refusing to fix this and wants $1700 to replace the steering wheel. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

Old 04-26-21, 07:51 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

I haven't seen that before. Perhaps you use some hair gel or some personal product that is strangely reacting? Or do you wear a lot of rings?
sajack (11-19-22)
Old 04-26-21, 09:12 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogatyr77
Lexus LS500 leased new with 22K miles. In Florida, but the car is garaged both at home and at work. I have never used any chemicals or cleaning agents on the steering wheel. Lexus is refusing to fix this and wants $1700 to replace the steering wheel. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

That is crazy, that is clearly a defect in the leather of some sort along with the Florida heat. I would bring this to Lexus Corporate and express your frustration.
Old 04-26-21, 09:18 AM
Bogatyr77
Driver School Candidate

I do not wear rings. I also shave my head and do not use any hair products. I've never had anything like this happen and this is my 9th Lexus leased.

Really upset with Lexus not stepping up to fix this, considering the car is still under warranty. I sent an email to corporate.

Last edited by Bogatyr77; 04-26-21 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added text
bigblack06 (05-04-21)
Old 04-26-21, 09:49 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

How's the rest of the interior "leather" holding up? Is that left side of the steering wheel in the sun all day or something?
Old 04-26-21, 09:56 AM
Bogatyr77
Driver School Candidate

How's the rest of the interior "leather" holding up? Is that left side of the steering wheel in the sun all day or something?
The car is always garaged. The rest of the leather looks perfect. This is purely a brown paint on steering wheel issue.

Quick Reply: What issues have YOU had with your LS500?