LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

What issues have YOU had with your LS500?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22, 02:17 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
what is meant by “does not lock open” ? My gas cap door sometimes does not open when pushing the button by the trunk button. I have to slide a credit card in the crack around the door to put outward pressure on the door and then push the button for the door to open. Of course, the credit card falls to the ground, sometimes under the car which is a bummer..
I had no issue last time opening the gas fuel door to fill up at gas station but today I had to use a flexible plastic cover folded in half to put in along the top of door to add pressure for the door to open. Not happy about that…will need to figure out a fix.

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 11-07-22 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-08-22, 03:21 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
Default White Exhaust Smoke Under Heavy Acceleration

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Less than 10K miles for me, but...
- driver seat massage air leak (replaced seat cushion & electric module)
- air suspension not sitting level (they did the relearn procedure)
- rattle over bumps by heads up display (placed piece of foam in there)
- coolant level dropping (seems OK now I think it was burping air)
- white smoke from exhaust under heavy acceleration (they could not find anything, I think it's condensation)

Also had fuel pump recall done last summer.

Currently have to take it back next week for the seat massage air hiss again.

I have seen this comment before. I notice it occasionally in my 2020. There is no loss of coolant or oil. I have read of condensation in intercoolers of other turbocharged cars and wonder if maybe it might be normal under some conditions.
One problem I have with service depts. is that service advisors nowadays often seem not mechanically inclined. I wish I could discuss this with a seasoned Lexus mechanic.
Old 11-08-22, 10:38 AM
CamLS5FS
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to replace my engine. 3rd cylinder blew. Lexus knew about the problem so it was replaced with a brand new engine. First F Sport it happened to.
Old 11-08-22, 10:39 AM
CamLS5FS
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogatyr77
Lexus LS500 leased new with 22K miles. In Florida, but the car is garaged both at home and at work. I have never used any chemicals or cleaning agents on the steering wheel. Lexus is refusing to fix this and wants $1700 to replace the steering wheel. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

I have the same problem in my LS I brought it to the attention of Lexus corporate unfortunately for me they said its a wear and tear issue. I plan on replacing my steering wheel any way since they won't do it.
Old 11-09-22, 02:31 PM
AshLex2021
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I Work in automotive service and its just not lexus that does this. its also other brands i have seen this on used cars steering wheels. its the lotions you are using or whatever on your hands that peals away steering wheels. definitely not a defect by any means
Old 11-14-22, 02:10 PM
mcronus
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my LS sounds like a school bus every time I brake. Lexus service says this is normal for performance vehicles. I've had plenty sports cars and none of them did this. He did add they would change the brake pads out with softer ones to make the sound stop but they would not be performance brakes. Defeats the purpose of having "performance brakes" imo.

The following users liked this post:
hwang1jin (02-03-23)
Old 01-13-23, 08:00 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
interesting re the first issue wonder if it's related to mine. Different car but food for thought--my 2021 ES300h has the abrupt jerk when gently modulating the brake pedal when at a near stop or like maneuvering to park. Like when you're gently braking, lift off, then reapply gently-- a sharp jolt occurs. Like inside the garage type speeds. Note, not "hybrid brake" things but, the system is calibrated in such a way to where it's applying the brakes too harshly if you release the brake then softly reapply-- a sharp jolt. Apparently Lexus is retuning the brake system on the ES300h for 2022 refresh. Wonder if they'll do that for the LS too.

Had three other Toyota/Lexus hybrids that didn't do this.
I took delivery of a 2023 ES300h a month ago and mine does this a little bit at times. As I’m learning the new car it’s happening less as I modify my braking habits. Our 2014 hybrid Camry does not do this at all though.
E46CT (03-16-23)
Old 02-02-23, 07:34 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by sambrian
I had a Toyota/Lexus back in the day that had the EXACT type of damage on the leather-wrapped steering wheel. Mine occurred as a result of sea air (high humidity, mixed with the components of salt from the ocean). I used to always open my sunroof, and windows - when driving, and ALWAYS when down near the beach in Japan. After I replaced the steering wheel, I never opened the sunroof or windows near the beach again, and never had another problem. This is true - these elements will absolutely destroy your leather. Especially on the steering wheel, from what I learned. But hey it's a lease, so no big deal for you - for now, until you turn it in, I guess.
Yep. I smoke/vape and often have windows down, and it’s Dewey and humid in the mornings here although I’m sadly nowhere near the ocean. Last three cars have had steering wheel leather degradation similar to the photo although it usually doesn’t start until the car is over 4 years old.
Old 02-02-23, 09:59 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogatyr77
Lexus LS500 leased new with 22K miles. In Florida, but the car is garaged both at home and at work. I have never used any chemicals or cleaning agents on the steering wheel. Lexus is refusing to fix this and wants $1700 to replace the steering wheel. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

Are you wearing latex gloves before touching the steering wheel?
Old 05-26-23, 04:14 AM
Jaynight
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What sound did your car make with bad the wheel bearings. My car is making a rubbing sound from the passenger side.
Old 05-28-23, 08:17 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
Are you wearing latex gloves before touching the steering wheel?
If that’s the issue then Lexus has an even bigger problem as far as I’m concerned. If that’s their new normal, count me out.
Old 05-29-23, 04:27 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

Is lexus the only car company that has steering wheel issue with hits leather?
I had a friend who had a LS400 and his wheel, seats, anything he touched in leather was peeling away.
It was like his skin oils were toxic to leather.
This dude like ran a marathon once a month. Never figured it out.
Its rare when a wheel fails. It happens to all brands of leather? Or just Lexus?
Old 05-29-23, 10:20 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
Is lexus the only car company that has steering wheel issue with hits leather?
I had a friend who had a LS400 and his wheel, seats, anything he touched in leather was peeling away.
It was like his skin oils were toxic to leather.
This dude like ran a marathon once a month. Never figured it out.
Its rare when a wheel fails. It happens to all brands of leather? Or just Lexus?
It happened with my BMW.
Old 05-29-23, 10:33 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

I’d be willing to bet that somebody somewhere, mechanic, or whoever had something on his hands, cleaner, solvent, or something. We have had umpteen cars, more than I can count, all makes, with leather steering wheels and I don’t recall ever having a problem like that.
If I take my car in for any kind of service, the first thing I do when I get it back is wipe off the steering wheel, shifter and door handles.
I’m picky about my steering wheel. I don’t even wear a wedding ring for fear it will scratch the leather.

Last edited by sajack; 05-29-23 at 10:41 AM.
Lingus (05-30-23)
Old 06-08-23, 11:41 AM
Jamesoylk
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cpcc
The seats have these bars on the side that give me sever discomfort after sitting for 20-30 minutes. Checked around, anyone else think the seats are less than optimal. Big change from my ls460
I have the same issue. The seats are killing me. Did you get a solution?

Quick Reply: What issues have YOU had with your LS500?