LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 05:20 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Spare tire

I changed out my run flats and had a blowout on one of my regular tires (Conti’s) and was revisiting the spare situation. I carry the emergency kit with air compressor (small) and sealer, but doesn’t work with a blowout. I am considering a small donut tire to carry in trunk on long trips and was wondering if anyone is doing that, or if there is a better solution.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-21, 08:06 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

I've thought of that but haven't looked into it. I also no longer have run-flats on my car, and I have the goo & compressor in the trunk just in case...
Old 11-08-21, 12:55 AM
sambrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I changed out my run flats and had a blowout on one of my regular tires (Conti’s) and was revisiting the spare situation. I carry the emergency kit with air compressor (small) and sealer, but doesn’t work with a blowout. I am considering a small donut tire to carry in trunk on long trips and was wondering if anyone is doing that, or if there is a better solution.

Thanks.
My personal solution, as I never take long road trips and never even use the huge *** trunk for anything other than storing cleaning products - bought a used OEM wheel on eBay, mounted that tire with the same type tire (non-run flats), threw a cover on it, pushed it deep into the trunk. And I believe it still has enough room for 30 bags of groceries… the extent of what I would ever use it for. Now that I did all that, I will never have a blowout or a flat. Wohoo
The following users liked this post:
Fhobbs (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21, 06:01 AM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Received 327 Likes on 224 Posts

My question is where would you place it, the battery is taking most of the room in the trunk and I believe there is a support weld in the trunk as well. I've just been looking for better RunFlats as I hate the Bridgestones.
Old 11-08-21, 12:21 PM
Nartdivad
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same dilemma here. I went with Michelins. Still in search for a factory wheel. But just fyi. If you plan on getting a full-size space. Make sure you get a front wheel if you’re a fsport that way it’ll fit both front and back.
CamLS5FS (01-13-23)
Old 11-08-21, 01:41 PM
sambrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine’s in the trunk. As I mentioned, it’s a big tire, but the trunk is more than I would ever really use, so it works for me. I understand it may not work for everyone that would need a ton of trunk space all of the time. The weight of a tire is pretty well dispersed throughout the flooring of the trunk, which includes the lid for the battery. Out of courtesy to my Lexus Dealer, I pop it out when I have to go in for Maintainance. It will be then, I will surely have a flat! What the heck, I’ll take those odds. It’s when Im stuck on the side of the road, that I know I can have a service vehicle come to me, swap it out, throw the flat in the trunk, and I can immediately go on my way and take care of the flat the following day, or weeks later. I like that.

I got lucky and found a good used OEM rim on eBay for like $200. I made sure that they proved that it was not out-of-round.
Old 11-08-21, 03:37 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I was thinking about the small size donut tire for emergency use only. I think my golf clubs will still fit along with the tire so that’s fine with me, and like sambrian, I would not have it in the trunk except for longer trips.
Old 11-08-21, 04:14 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by sambrian
...Out of courtesy to my Lexus Dealer, I pop it out when I have to go in for Maintainance...
You really don't need to do that, you know. The likelihood of them even lifting the trunk battery cover is basically nil to begin with unless you are reporting battery issues... you are really wasting your time and effort.
sambrian (11-08-21)
Old 01-12-23, 03:19 PM
TomC207
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting an LS. I joined this forum and a couple of groups on Facebook to find out what actual owners think and have experienced.

I understand the idea behind run flats, but the lack of a spare really makes me feel uncomfortable and is pretty much a deal killer.

A while back when my wife and I were considering a Tesla (they don’t have spares either) I came across Modern Spare. They make spares and kits for cars that don’t have them. They have spares for the NX, UX and RC F’s. I reached out to them to see if they have any plans on making one for the LS. This is their response:

“We are looking into the Lexus LS right now, Our goal is to offer a spare for any vehicle that doesn't come standard with a spare. sometimes we just don't hear about them as fast as you guys might. Please stay in touch, we likely already have the components to build this out, we will likely be selling them in just a few days.”

If I get an LS, it won’t be until after February. Hopefully Modern Spare will have one by then. Going by all of the threads that I found going back three years no one has mentioned them so I thought that I’d post about it.
Old 01-12-23, 07:41 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 334 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TomC207
I’ve been thinking about getting an LS. I joined this forum and a couple of groups on Facebook to find out what actual owners think and have experienced.

I understand the idea behind run flats, but the lack of a spare really makes me feel uncomfortable and is pretty much a deal killer.

A while back when my wife and I were considering a Tesla (they don’t have spares either) I came across Modern Spare. They make spares and kits for cars that don’t have them. They have spares for the NX, UX and RC F’s. I reached out to them to see if they have any plans on making one for the LS. This is their response:

“We are looking into the Lexus LS right now, Our goal is to offer a spare for any vehicle that doesn't come standard with a spare. sometimes we just don't hear about them as fast as you guys might. Please stay in touch, we likely already have the components to build this out, we will likely be selling them in just a few days.”

If I get an LS, it won’t be until after February. Hopefully Modern Spare will have one by then. Going by all of the threads that I found going back three years no one has mentioned them so I thought that I’d post about it.
Thanks for the info. Im a newbie with a 2019 and its hell of a car! Im undecided on the FFT but have about a year let at least to figure it out.
Old 01-12-23, 09:17 PM
TomC207
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nalod
Thanks for the info. Im a newbie with a 2019 and its hell of a car! Im undecided on the FFT but have about a year let at least to figure it out.
I'm new here. FFT?
Old 01-13-23, 03:59 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 334 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TomC207
I'm new here. FFT?
should be RFT………..
Old 01-13-23, 08:09 AM
CamLS5FS
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's actually a good idea!! Getting another rim and putting a tire on it and putting it in the trunk. Never thought of that. I may just do that as well.
Old 01-13-23, 08:12 AM
CamLS5FS
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I was thinking about the small size donut tire for emergency use only. I think my golf clubs will still fit along with the tire so that’s fine with me, and like sambrian, I would not have it in the trunk except for longer trips.
The problem with that is if you have an F sport u have to get a spare tire/donut that will clear the brakes. I'm not sure about the luxury or regular version calipers.
Old 01-13-23, 11:43 AM
TomC207
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nalod
should be RFT………..
OK, gotcha. If Modern Spare comes through it'll be nice to have that option of RFT's or regular tires and have a spare.

Quick Reply: Spare tire