LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

minor dash damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21, 06:53 AM
jonhunt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minor dash damage

My wife cleaned the dash, but there must have been something on the cloth because there are now small scratches. She's very upset. Any suggestions on how to remove those?

Thanks
Old 11-29-21, 08:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Any pics? If it's like the new ES dash, it also scratches extremely easily even when using just a microfiber to wipe it. Lots of complaints on the new ES side as well. My first 21 ES came with a scratched dashboard from the factory.
Old 11-29-21, 09:17 AM
jonhunt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Fiber

My wife used a micro fiber cloth to clean the dash. When we had it in for service we showed the damage to a tech and asked for advice on how to fix it. The advice was to use a micro fiber cloth.

Old 11-30-21, 12:40 AM
sambrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an LS - I noticed small scratches when I also used a damp microfiber towel. I quickly stopped after noticing obvious friction between the towel and the dash - it was definitely not jiving.

I now use a Swiffer-type duster to accumulate all the dust, and that’s all this kind of dash needs. This kind of dash is not designed to shine up and make look pretty. So I just dust it, and it’s good.

To add: I noticed that the smooth surface of a microfiber towel itself doesn’t usually damage surfaces. It’s the corse seam of the towel (any towel) that will cause abrasion on any material. When I treat the seats, I always fold the microfiber towel in a way that the sharp edges won’t make contact with the seat. Same for buffing when wiping the wax clean.. Never let the edges touch your material, or there will inevitably be an abrasion of some kind. This is just from my experience. I’m a clean freak with my cars.

But as mentioned before - I won’t use a towel of any kind on the dash. It’s just not designed for a good wipe down. Just use a hand-held duster. Then use the cloth to wipe all the hard surfaces, (screen, instrument panels, etc). I learned that the swiffer is also killer to get the dust between all of the artistic lines on the LS dash that run from door to door. Easy clean.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sambrian; 11-30-21 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 01:15 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I've wiped my LS dash a bunch of times with a microfiber and I've never had a scratch.
Old 11-30-21, 02:22 PM
sambrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I've wiped my LS dash a bunch of times with a microfiber and I've never had a scratch.
That’s awesome - must be doing something right!

Every single loaner car I’ve had from 2018, maybe 20 of them, as I have my car in the shop a lot - all have scratches. I clean and sanitize all my loaners, and see the dash up close every time. Mine has a scratch from microfiber towels, the poster of the thread has scratches. Hopefully he can find some answers. If you can share how not to get scratches, or have another definition maybe of what scratches are (severe abrasions, something that can be removed, some that can’t), maybe that will shed some light for the poster.

Could be that you don’t buy cheapo microfiber towels from Costco, ones that have sharp edges? Maybe you are not digging the sharp edges into your dash? Seems obvious - but trying to assist with obvious answers for everyone that do have scratches.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-21, 02:30 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by sambrian
That’s awesome - must be doing something right!

Every single loaner car I’ve had from 2018, maybe 20 of them, as I have my car in the shop a lot - all have scratches. I clean and sanitize all my loaners, and see the dash up close every time. Mine has a scratch from microfiber towels, the poster of the thread has scratches. Hopefully he can find some answers. If you can share how not to get scratches, or have another definition maybe of what scratches are (severe abrasions, something that can be removed, some that can’t), maybe that will shed some light for the poster.

Could be that you don’t buy cheapo microfiber towels from Costco, ones that have sharp edges? Maybe you are not digging the sharp edges into your dash? Seems obvious - but trying to assist with obvious answers for everyone that do have scratches.

Thanks for sharing.
That could be it. I try to use thicker and freshly washed microfiber towels. If a towel touches the ground I put it in the dirty pile since there's a possibility it picked up debris.