LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

'21 LS 500 PVD Vapor Chrom Rim damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 07:38 AM
SpudsMcD
Pit Crew

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

Dude, that sucks, but don't beat yourself up over it. Driving a long-wheelbase car takes some getting used to. The first time I drove my McLaren I did the same thing and dinged up a rear wheel by catching the curb during a right turn; the car is just so wide and you sit pretty far forward from the rear axle. Anyway, those wheels were pretty easy to repair so the dealer did it for free while I completed the purchase paperwork.

I have the same wheels on my LS, and if I were you I would find a mechanic or tire shop handy with a grinder and give them a bottle of chrome touch-up paint. It won't look pristine, but it should be good enough. Or you could get a dremel and diy it.
The following users liked this post:
GS350PJ (07-16-22)
Old 07-18-22, 11:09 AM
GS350PJ
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pass427
The issue is the tires are run flats and as I am told they are not to be patched my tire protection I paid $1500 for and already got them to replace 3 tires from 2 nails and a bubble so to me it’s worth it especially with the bad roads in NY/NJ where I do the bulk of my driving. Also they replace a crack rim which was $1100 for the rim but since the rim is vapor chrome it does not cover scratches but if it was regular alloy wheels then it would.
Definitely agree. it will pay for itself if I do get a puncture in the run flat tires. When its time to replace them I will go with non-run flats going forward.
I agree with the other comments on how much the tire protection costs, but I live in Southern CA where everything costs more unfortunately including gas!
Old 07-20-22, 01:45 PM
Wrocky32
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have ordered the PVD Chrome wheels from "The Wheel Exchange" and will pick them up and have them installed next Thursday afternoon. (Along with a brand new set of non run flat Continental Tires) Either late Thursday or sometime Friday, I'll post and update on the fit/finish of the rims as well as the ride improvements I hope to experience from getting rid of the OEM run flats.
Old 07-29-22, 09:13 AM
Wrocky32
Rookie

I picked up my refinished wheels from "The Wheel Exchange" in Greenville, Michigan yesterday. I had a fresh set on Continental tires put on the wheels along with swapping the TPMS sensors and center caps. I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the refinished rims. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to the factory finish on the original wheels but it looked more like chrome paint than actual chrome finish. The wheels from "The Wheel Exchange" are top notch. The Discount Tire employees said these were the nicest set of rims they had ever seen. I agree. After a long drive home, I polished the rims this morning and each rim is flawless. I wish I could compare these to the factory finish, but they certainly look like the Vapor Chrome finish to me. The finish on my previous rims was a brighter chrome look.

The only think I'm waiting for at this point is the core charge for me rims. I should have that in the next few days after they have a chance to inspect them for any bent rims or excess curb rash. I don't expect any issues with the rims I turned in. It was just an issue with the finish flaking off.

Here are details for "The Wheel Exchange"

mitch@thewheelexchange.com
616-274-0423 cell
616-777-5023x106 office
www.thewheelexchange.com
1515 Shearer Road
Greenville, MI 48838

Old 07-29-22, 09:25 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 829 Likes on 612 Posts

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/25178/...261150780.html

chandlerrl (04-15-23)
Old 07-29-22, 11:22 AM
ballaz
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrocky32
I picked up my refinished wheels from "The Wheel Exchange" in Greenville, Michigan yesterday. I had a fresh set on Continental tires put on the wheels along with swapping the TPMS sensors and center caps. I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the refinished rims. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to the factory finish on the original wheels but it looked more like chrome paint than actual chrome finish. The wheels from "The Wheel Exchange" are top notch. The Discount Tire employees said these were the nicest set of rims they had ever seen. I agree. After a long drive home, I polished the rims this morning and each rim is flawless. I wish I could compare these to the factory finish, but they certainly look like the Vapor Chrome finish to me. The finish on my previous rims was a brighter chrome look.

The only think I'm waiting for at this point is the core charge for me rims. I should have that in the next few days after they have a chance to inspect them for any bent rims or excess curb rash. I don't expect any issues with the rims I turned in. It was just an issue with the finish flaking off.

Here are details for "The Wheel Exchange"

mitch@thewheelexchange.com
616-274-0423 cell
616-777-5023x106 office
www.thewheelexchange.com
1515 Shearer Road
Greenville, MI 48838

Thanks for posting. Going to pull the trigger on the wheel exchange.
PCW (09-03-22)
Old 08-05-22, 06:49 AM
Wrocky32
Rookie

You are going to be very pleased with how the new wheels look on your car. I wish I would have done it sooner!!! Enjoy your ride!