LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Should I buy used or new? Is the discount worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 12:42 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Should I buy used or new? Is the discount worth it?

Looking at prices of this generation LS, I see 2019-2021 going for around $50k-$65k used depending on options and mileage. I believe the base MSRP new is around $76k (but not sure how realistic that is in the real world)

My impression is the LS has been a dud (sales wise) and you could probably pay sticker or under for a new one without much issue? Any feedback on that? Assuming it's apples to apples, is it worth a $25k discount to get a few year old one or worth it to buy new? Just really hard to find used models (with the color combo I want) without shipping something out of state.

I also get a little concerned that I see a lot of used LS's of this generation where it's like 2-3 years old, is on the 3rd owner, and only has like 12k miles. Maybe reading too much into it, but almost like people bail quickly after owning it.

I currently have an ES 350 that's getting REALLY long in the tooth, I put off buying something for a while now. I like the current LS even though it's not my ideal (I had an LS430 that was maybe the best car I've ever owned) I would have preferred something closer to last gen LS, but that ship has sailed and now even those are too old.

I really don't want to just buy another ES (even though it makes so much sense), just because it's such a boring play and will be my 3rd ES. But they re just an incredible bargain and they check all the right boxes. I may jump to another brand and just start playing the lease game with something like Audi or Mercedes.

Love to hear feedback, both from happy and unhappy buyers.

Last edited by BradTank; 02-08-23 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-08-23, 01:17 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

Have you test drove the new ES (2019-up)? I traded my '18 LS500 in for a '22 ES hybrid Ultra Lux. I bought my LS500 used, at the time it was a better value, pre-covid pricing. When I bought mine it was about 1.5 years old with ~4,000 miles if I remember correctly. My biggest turn-off after having the LS for 2+ years was the powertrain. I have a bunch of posts in this forum already, I don't need to keep bringing that all up again. The LS430 was "peak" LS. That is still the best ever.

I have been considering BMW but the Lexus is so worry-free. Sure more boring yes but such low maintenance, dependable...
Old 02-08-23, 06:27 PM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

2 months ago I bought a used CPO 21’ LS. I personally think the discount was worth it. My LS is fully loaded with every option except for exec package.

msrp new was 92k and I paid 69k. In other words I would have been 103+k out the door Vs 74 OTD. My car looks, smells, feels new. 1 owner fully dealer service.

The CPO warranty is unlimited miles and it gives me 5 years. I’m not saying this is the only way but it is the more financially savvy way.

only thing I have done was swap out the brand new runflats for Bridgestone quiettraks. It rides like my old LS460L now. Anyone who has a 500 should go to regular high end non run flat tires.

i would buy 21' up too. a-lot of improvements were made

Last edited by Searosis; 02-08-23 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-08-23, 08:16 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by Searosis
2 months ago I bought a used CPO 21’ LS. I personally think the discount was worth it. My LS is fully loaded with every option except for exec package.

msrp new was 92k and I paid 69k. In other words I would have been 103+k out the door Vs 74 OTD. My car looks, smells, feels new. 1 owner fully dealer service.

The CPO warranty is unlimited miles and it gives me 5 years. I’m not saying this is the only way but it is the more financially savvy way.

only thing I have done was swap out the brand new runflats for Bridgestone quiettraks. It rides like my old LS460L now. Anyone who has a 500 should go to regular high end non run flat tires.

I would probably jump at a price like that if I could.

One thing that works against me is I'm picky on the color combo. Just very little inventory in my state despite several dealerships.
Old 02-08-23, 08:27 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Have you test drove the new ES (2019-up)? I traded my '18 LS500 in for a '22 ES hybrid Ultra Lux. I bought my LS500 used, at the time it was a better value, pre-covid pricing. When I bought mine it was about 1.5 years old with ~4,000 miles if I remember correctly. My biggest turn-off after having the LS for 2+ years was the powertrain. I have a bunch of posts in this forum already, I don't need to keep bringing that all up again. The LS430 was "peak" LS. That is still the best ever.

I have been considering BMW but the Lexus is so worry-free. Sure more boring yes but such low maintenance, dependable...
I haven't driven the newest ES, but have taken a close look and I like the upgrades. They finally gave it a decent interior that didn't look like just a small step up from a Camry.
The ES I have now though has been a great car, I can't complain, but I feel like life is too short to do yet another ES. That would make 3 so far for me (all have been fantastic cars FWIW) Probably the best luxury bargain on the market and probably the most reliable Lexus you can buy.

Agreed LS430 was peak Lexus, that thing was finished like a Bentley, but could just run forever. I hated selling mine, but it was just getting ancient, I had almost 200k miles and it just started feeling old.

I normally hate BMW as a brand, but the 7 series has me intrigued also. I wouldn't want to own one though outside of a warranty. Same with the Audi A8. I've owned an S-Class Mercedes, they're expensive to own, but do everything well.

I still know Lexus is going to be more reliable than anything European, but it's not the same as it once was. I don't see this generation LS being like the LS's that people put hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles on.
Old 02-09-23, 04:28 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 334 Likes on 210 Posts

I wanted a atomic/black base with AWD, Leather upgrade, 20inch wheels, and ML. Found it and paid 56k. 2019 with 27k miles. Came from a 2020 GS350 FSport AWD. I was happy with that car, it only had 24k miles. Sold it for 40k.
To me I “Modified” that car for 16k!!!!
I did not even consider the Teutonic gods (Benz, BMW, Audi) in this catagory. We still have two of them in the driveway. A recent Audi Allroad and a mercedes SLK for fun.
Im smitten with the LS500 fit, finish, comfort, and predicted reliability. This car presents near new appearance and drives like a dream.
“FOR THE MONEY” I really am happy. Now, If my budget was 100k i would for sure look at things different. If depreciation was a concern, I’d look at it differently too.
Im sure the refreshed 21’ and newer drives nicer, but was not in the budget.
Im sure non runflats drive nicer. But Im happy for now!!!

Last edited by Nalod; 02-09-23 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-11-23, 04:59 AM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nalod
I wanted a atomic/black base with AWD, Leather upgrade, 20inch wheels, and ML. Found it and paid 56k. 2019 with 27k miles. Came from a 2020 GS350 FSport AWD. I was happy with that car, it only had 24k miles. Sold it for 40k.
To me I “Modified” that car for 16k!!!!
I did not even consider the Teutonic gods (Benz, BMW, Audi) in this catagory. We still have two of them in the driveway. A recent Audi Allroad and a mercedes SLK for fun.
Im smitten with the LS500 fit, finish, comfort, and predicted reliability. This car presents near new appearance and drives like a dream.
“FOR THE MONEY” I really am happy. Now, If my budget was 100k i would for sure look at things different. If depreciation was a concern, I’d look at it differently too.
Im sure the refreshed 21’ and newer drives nicer, but was not in the budget.
Im sure non runflats drive nicer. But Im happy for now!!!
Only thing I will reinforce after another couple of days driving it is that anyone who owns this car should go straight from the dealer to the tire shop. It’s a world of a difference! And oddly enough my 2020 GSF doesn’t have RUNFLATS or a spare from Lexus. Just a pump kit from factory. That would have been the better move here too. I
Old 02-11-23, 10:17 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by Searosis

Its a great deal you got. how many miles on. your car when you got it?
I was out the door for 56k but with no CPO. My warranty is about to run out. Drive train goes 7 yrs, 70k.
I can get a Lexus and might price them but thinking roll the dice and think the money I did not spend is there for repairs. I don't put but 10k mile a year on the car and as you said, many ways to look at it. I don't owe a dime on it which makes it all that much easier if I have to digest a repair.
Like your 21', the car looks near new inside and out with a clean Carfax. No care is perfect but I'll take the predicted reliability factor of this brand. Not sure I'd do the same with the Teutonic gods.
I'll be obsessing over the tires now for a few months!

Old 02-11-23, 01:34 PM
Luxrider10
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A nice way to snag a good LS is to find one that's been used by an older gentleman. Most of them garage keep the vehicles and they come back to the dealerships immaculate. Also they are reliable cars but service records always speak the most truths.
Old 02-12-23, 06:30 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Insurance: Funny thing. My 2020 GS550 Fsport AWD was more to insure than the new to me 2019 LS500 AWD is. There are far more GS350’s out there and they are driven by a younger demographic who are modding them to no end and no doubt having fun.
Speed? The specs off our LS500 is a full second faster 0-60 given the more powerful engine with twin turbos. Not much can be done to the GS.
But there must be more “elderly men and women” who are putting few miles on them!
Covid has kept miles down. My 2020GS was put in service January of 2020. By march we were “Locked down” and my driving was down. If not fo trips to the beach house 200 miles away I barely would have touched the car. As it was, 24000 mile in 36 months. 10k was likley in the last 12 months before I sold it.
If well maintained the cars are wonderful values in the used market. That was my summation. I bought an Sclass with 33k miles, a 1989 in 1994 from an uncle who gave me a deal I could not refuse. Wonderful Car I kept for 7 years. Was boring and I wanted something smaller and “sporty”. This is my entry back to the luxury segment and quite seductive this level of comfort. How do you say no to a car that massages as it does? With a sound system so well executed.
Many ways to buy these cars. No one way is correct.
Old 02-12-23, 02:03 PM
sajack
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought a 2 year old CPO, one owner with regular dealer servicing every 5,000 miles. 36,000 mostly highway miles. I’m covered with a full 4 year warranty.
car was exactly what I wanted, color, AWD, optional interior and steering wheel, 20” wheels, new tires. I’ve had it 3 months and couldn’t be happier.
I think one owner means a lot. The first owner tends to take better care of a car than most subsequent owners. Study the CarFax. If it’s incomplete, doesn’t show proper, regular servicing, then walk away.
Avoid anything that has been in an accident or had any major repairs.

Last edited by sajack; 02-13-23 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-14-23, 07:28 AM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nalod
Its a great deal you got. how many miles on. your car when you got it?
I was out the door for 56k but with no CPO. My warranty is about to run out. Drive train goes 7 yrs, 70k.
I can get a Lexus and might price them but thinking roll the dice and think the money I did not spend is there for repairs. I don't put but 10k mile a year on the car and as you said, many ways to look at it. I don't owe a dime on it which makes it all that much easier if I have to digest a repair.
Like your 21', the car looks near new inside and out with a clean Carfax. No care is perfect but I'll take the predicted reliability factor of this brand. Not sure I'd do the same with the Teutonic gods.
I'll be obsessing over the tires now for a few months!
It had 20k miles when i got it. Eminent white pearl with palomino interior.
The following users liked this post:
sajack (02-15-23)
Old 02-16-23, 09:01 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Looking at prices of this generation LS, I see 2019-2021 going for around $50k-$65k used depending on options and mileage. I believe the base MSRP new is around $76k (but not sure how realistic that is in the real world)

My impression is the LS has been a dud (sales wise) and you could probably pay sticker or under for a new one without much issue? Any feedback on that? Assuming it's apples to apples, is it worth a $25k discount to get a few year old one or worth it to buy new? Just really hard to find used models (with the color combo I want) without shipping something out of state.

I also get a little concerned that I see a lot of used LS's of this generation where it's like 2-3 years old, is on the 3rd owner, and only has like 12k miles. Maybe reading too much into it, but almost like people bail quickly after owning it.

I currently have an ES 350 that's getting REALLY long in the tooth, I put off buying something for a while now. I like the current LS even though it's not my ideal (I had an LS430 that was maybe the best car I've ever owned) I would have preferred something closer to last gen LS, but that ship has sailed and now even those are too old.

I really don't want to just buy another ES (even though it makes so much sense), just because it's such a boring play and will be my 3rd ES. But they re just an incredible bargain and they check all the right boxes. I may jump to another brand and just start playing the lease game with something like Audi or Mercedes.

Love to hear feedback, both from happy and unhappy buyers.
Go get this one new right now and don't look back

Old 02-17-23, 08:40 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Love that red/black combo. Not the same red as the Fsport. The cut glass is cool, but the pleated door panels are awesome!.

I think the answer to the op lies in ones budget and how its to be paid for. Where one is in their earning capacity, age, and net worth. Everyone is different and comes at this from their unique place. There is no right or wrong answer.
So: “is it worth it”? Well, depends on many factors. We can all agree a new car is flawless with no worry warranty!
But Im not spending $90-120k on a new car. Not a lease, not a buy, not a finance. My 2019 bought last month cash and Im ‘Self insuring” by not worrying about bumper to bumper. With 27k miles Im ok with powertrain on the 7 year, 70k mile. The rest I’ll pay for if it need be. But thats me.
Cut glass and pleated doors would be awesome. I’d be looking back though because my wife would have my head!