LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help with eletrical problems, 1990

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 03:21 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with eletrical problems, 1990

Okay, just so I can cover all of my bases, here's what has led me to where I am now. On October 7th of last year, my car was shot. Two bullets through the right headlamp and one right into the center of the hood which caused a lot of problems. I had everything repaired $2000 later (my insurance expired that same day. Lucky me.). First thing repaired was a fuel injector and the last thing was the timing belts. Everything was fine until my car started groaning while I was turning. First thing I thought was I just needed to replaced or add some power steering fluid. I go and get some and upon pouring it in, the thing damn near over flows. So then I thought, "Great, now I need a new power steering pump, lines, rack.". Damn it. So instead of that I just bought a new car (06 IS350) and left my first love rotting in the side driveway. I left it sitting, not turning it on, for about 3 months.

I go to turn it on yesterday just to do it and as expected, it didn't. I went and bought a new battery and accidentally put it in backwards (Hurrrr) and realized this when it sparked at me. I immediately spin it around and install it correctly and my car turned on just fine. Fuel is on empty, but at least it starts. Thing is, nothing electrical works. Just my hazards. The steering wheel won't auto adjust like it's supposed to, the mirrors cannot be adjusted. The radio doesn't come on. Seriously, NOTHING worked except the hazard lights. So I let it sit and then try to restart it. Again, no electronics. I then give it some gas and everything started to work. The gauges worked, lights, everything. Everything except the radio (LCD and all) and the A/C. I popped the hood again and checked the fuse box. Nothing seemed dirty or fried or anything. This is quite a pickle to me and that's why I am here. Any suggestions are graciously welcomed. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention a list of things that do not work even after gas is applied. Here are the jerks:

- Sunroof
- Radio/Center Console
- Vents work and so does heating, but no A/C
- Steering wheel will not budge. Won't automatically go to custom setting.
- Power seats
- Mirrors

Also, even in accessory mode nothing will turn on. I can't even shift out of park unless I give it some gas first. Shift Lock Override does nothing.

Last edited by eh1337; 04-28-07 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 04-28-07, 08:44 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm,, after sitting for an extended period of time,, the electronics will take a bit to light up, and sometimes need that extra uumph. LOL!! Anyways,,, I know Lexus repairs can be a strain on the pocket, but taking a gun and literally shooting the car is not gonna solve anything. We have all wanted to do this at one time or another,, but next time just resist.(ROTFLMAO!!!) Sorry,, couldnt help it,, the door was wide open. Sound to me that when you put in the battery backwards you may have popped a few of the fuses. Would suggest you pull them individually and check/replace them. Alot of the things you have listed in your edit section, can be found on the fuse panel IN the car under the dash board, and not under the hood(A/C would be the only Large fuse that is under the hood from your list). Look under the dash, and check those fuses there, and I will bet that you probably popped a good deal of them.
Old 04-29-07, 11:40 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default solution

From personal experience I know how to fix your problem. When you reversed your poles you blew a relay/fuse however it is not an easy one to pull. I just took the two disconnected sides and pinched them together. The relay/fuse is the one circled (red)in the picture. In the picture, there is also a green bracket. to properly change this relay, you will need to remove the cover that is indicated by the green bracket and remove the nut that fastens the relay in place.
Attached Thumbnails Help with eletrical problems, 1990-fuse-001.jpg  
Old 04-29-07, 02:52 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll get on that right now. Be back later with results. Thanks again!
Old 05-01-07, 05:23 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Okay this is weird. I went to Kragen and they didn't have that 120A fuse relay, so I went to my local dealership. The guy didn't know what I was talking about even after I showed him the picture above and told him the part name and everything. Thirty minutes go by and he finally comes out and tells me that it's special order. It's supposed to come in on Tuesday (That's if he even ordered it). I come back home and try things out again. Now, I accidentally broke the fuse while I was trying to take it out. Pretty much shattered the top of it. I go to use the car, and once I applied the gas, EVERYTHING worked. Well, everything besides the the steering wheel coming out of place. It still just sits there. My car doesn't make that groaning noise anymore, but it still makes some noise when you turn it, or when the car sits idle. It makes some sort of...I don't know, a straining noise I suppose. Still, everything works aside from those two issues. Now, when I apply the brake or turn my headlights on, the radio will stop working for a little bit and then come back on. The dash lights also dim for a second while doing these two things. My thoughts are the power isn't getting conducted well enough so it's stressing the whole electrical system when too many things are in the equation. My question, my hope, is that the little fuse pictured above is the answer to these problems. The steering I can live with for now, but right now I just want all the electronics to work.

Major Edit: Is it possible that my alternator could be messed up? Or the belt that drives the alternator? If I need to give it gas for electricals to work, that means that the car needs to spin the alternator more for it to put out enough voltage to run everything. It shouldn't be a fuse, since things work when I give it gas. It shouldn't be the battery since the car starts.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by eh1337; 05-02-07 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 05-02-07, 03:50 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Okay, cane anybody tell me how to get that fuse out that's circled? I pretty much broke the one that's in there and unscrewed the part in the green bracket. I just can't seem to get to the other side. Any pointers?
Old 05-04-07, 04:33 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Never mind, I figured it out. My car works great! Many thanks to sonbum1 and trukn1!
Old 06-01-08, 02:22 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Same problem as EH but less progress.

I understand where the 8mm bolts (engine side) are that hold these fuse/relays in but I cannot get this 4 fuse assembly seperated from the rest of this housing to take out the 10mm bolts on the fender side.

Any tips??

Update:

Used an ice pick & got the "green section" to release from its clip connector & pull upwards.
The connection is just to the left & slightly below the blue perpendicular 15 Amp fuse pictured.

Last edited by damon; 06-01-08 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 04:35 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is another screw that holds it in place but I cant remeber were it is.
Old 06-01-08, 08:17 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well crap.

This is part of my problem, no doubt but not the whole enchilada. After replacing this 120A Fuse I had some kind of electrical activity as I cranked the ignition but that abrubtly stopped.

Now I am back to silence & no current.

Last edited by damon; 06-01-08 at 09:16 PM.