LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 10:24 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e57820
It is a good idea to mention that there will be a fair amount of money tied up in doing things more than once. I nearly completed a drivers side header in 304 stainless before I ended up scraping it. That kind of stuff happens more than you think. As much as you may not want to end up doing something more than once; always making sure to measure twice and cut once. It really dosen't matter, you will do some things twice, that is the learning curve. Especially on a project this ambitious.
That is so true. I scrapped my first two designs, so you can bet I waste a fair amount of materials there as well being that most of it was 304 stainless. Like you said, measure twice and cut once will save you a bit of money, but when I happened to pull most of this stuff from just measuring, cutting, measuring again, tack weld, test fit it, than weld it up, and fit it.

Originally Posted by e57820
In the video your temp gauge is pegged. I think the computer and the temp gauge take their readings from different sensors. Maybe it is coincidence but a funky temp signal to the computer screws up all kinds of things. You may want to verify that they are using different sensors when you get a chance. You can finally actually hear it come to life, sounds cool. I saw some of your welding on pirate 4X4; you are really getting the hang of it, good work. What a difference seat time makes.
Yeah, I believe the sender is fawked. When I first bought it, he mentioned the temp gauge never really worked, however when I did my rebuild, I found that the temp sender (for gauge) wasn't pulled in. I plugged it in, and continued the build, and when I started driving it around, I noticed there were major issues. When I floored it, the gauge would instantly fly up, and if I let off, it would start to fall. After about 1 min of driving, it pretty much just goes up to Max, and just hovers there, even though there is no way my engine could be close to that temp having driven it for 3 minutes in 20* weather, with the eFan going. I believe your right, like most Toyota's, including my 89' Yota truck. I just dealt with this on my truck because it is a 4 speed OD auto tranny, but the problem is that it will only shift into 4th/OD when it is at operating temp, need less to say it takes forever to get there and would often be in 3rd gear or downshift into 3rd gear at 70mph, w/ 31" tires isn't good on any part, let alone a driveline with 250k miles on it. There is a temp sender and sensor. The sender sends the temp signal to the gauge in the dash, the sensor sends it's version of the temp signal to the ECU to monitor things like open/closed loop, overdrive, high idle, and whatever else a Toyota ECU might use. I put in a temp sensor, which is what the ECU reads when I did the rebuild, so I think I am good, however I am not too concerned with the temp sender as that gauge pod will be removed in favor of some good aftermarket gauges in due time.

I'm pretty excited and happy with the way the project has turned out. I think it says a lot about my personality, as there isn't much to the outside, often goes overlooked, but when it comes time to shine, this car is strictly business. I finished my MS3 the other day, so now I need to find my supporting mods to install it. I already have the Ford EDIS8, wires, coils, etc., however since I really only need the LSx CNPs (Coil-Near-Plugs), I'll probably just hold off and buy those, and skip the EDIS8 build, thus not needing a 36-1 wheel. With the CNPs, and Megasquirt Extra software, I can program the MS3 to use the stock 12 trigger wheel. The plan is to use the factory cam and crank VR sensors, and run sequential spark with the LSx CNPs, and sequential fuel w/ 30# or 36# injectors, depending on what's available to me for cheap.
Old 11-27-10, 07:25 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I'm not sure if this is a serious post, but I like boost...
I am very serious. You want a stage three turbo with the stage two cams and stage four heads and stage fifteen valve retainers and stage nine thousand eight hundred and fifty seven main oil pan alignment dowel pins, and stage nine quadrillion lug nuts.

My sincerest condolences for the loss of your friend. From heaven, he wants you to pursue your dreams, for life is short and every moment should be cherished. It is all about the journey, not the destination.
Old 11-27-10, 07:41 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by sdls
I am very serious. You want a stage three turbo with the stage two cams and stage four heads and stage fifteen valve retainers and stage nine thousand eight hundred and fifty seven main oil pan alignment dowel pins, and stage nine quadrillion lug nuts.

My sincerest condolences for the loss of your friend. From heaven, he wants you to pursue your dreams, for life is short and every moment should be cherished. It is all about the journey, not the destination.
That's basically my setup... Thank you, I do appreciate with the kind words.
Old 11-28-10, 01:13 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Love how much DIY is in this build. Props on that. Hope to meet you out at our meet next week.
Old 11-28-10, 07:58 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Halon
Love how much DIY is in this build. Props on that. Hope to meet you out at our meet next week.
Hey man, glad to see you post up in here. I am definitely going to do my best and swing out that way and at least say hi. Looking forward to what your SC build is going to do. I'll give you a ring on Wednesday and see what time you guys are gathering.
Old 12-05-10, 07:23 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Not much to update with as I've been busy with my brother-in-laws 93' Acura Integra. Since it snowed about 4-6", it pretty much put a cap on the build until next spring. I am glad I stuck with it and got it running, it makes snow removal way easier. Anyways, here are some teaser photos in the meantime.

Take care, I'll update when I can...
Old 12-30-10, 05:19 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Yo.
It's been a little while, and last time you guys knew, we got a little snow. Well we ended up getting close to 18" about two weeks ago, and about 4-6" a few days later. Needless to say we've been bailing snow since.

Fast forward to today, miserable, raining, snow on the ground and as usual, I was going through the local scrap yard and managed to score a nice deal. I am working on my friend's Volvo 850 stalling, and managed to find a few 850's there. I got there and sure enough most of the good stuff is gone, but managed to find a absolute mint LS400, that I wish the owner would've called me before they scraped it, cause it was nice! If you can read the odo, it reads 313,924, the motor hadn't been cracked into but all the usual goodies were gone plus I got a few things. I really want an HVAC display, no luck.

I also stumbled upon a 2nd gen LS that some guys were going after pretty good to later find out they pulled the stater....been there. I decided since they did they easy work, there was no way I was leaving fresh parts there, so I grabbed the 8 fuel injectors, and I managed to score the windsheild washer pump, and got the gold badges (I know it's the Honda boy in me). I haven't looked if they flow different, but I thought mine were purple... I was going to take the 2nd gen cluster and could easily make it work, but I'd rather build my own.

I painted the door handle to match, I'll probably wait for spring to install it. I got everything you see for $17, so it was hard to pass up. It's funny that my car has half of those miles, yet I'm stripping this clean LS to put on my Frankenstein of a creation... I just sold a bunch of parts on eBay so I'm starting to piece together my Megasquirt build... Other than that, I hope you guys are doing fine, enjoying life and family, I'll talk to you next year.
Old 12-31-10, 01:36 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

I couldn't help but posting this....
I decided to move my GS430 to the backyard to free up some driveway space for my girlfriend. No more than a minute after I has successful re-parked both cars, it absolutely started hailing bb's...

I know, pics of it didn't happen, right...?
Old 01-03-11, 08:00 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crazy. any dents?
Old 04-25-11, 02:34 PM
e57820
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates?
Old 04-25-11, 06:31 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Hey Adam, glad to see your still active on here, this board could learn a ton from you if they only knew what you know. The only real update is that it was moved from the backyard to the driveway, where it currently sits. It gets shuffled in and out of the driveway to drive the vette and falcon.

Where I sit now. The engine starts up and runs, when I drive it around, I believe there is still a miss under boost. I have the MS3 built, but with no harness, I don't believe my computer cable will work as the wires are all like 22 gauge or smaller. I think I will just make my cable the same way everyone else does. I still haven't boughten the LSx coils, nor the 36# injectors. My exhaust is about 1.5" long, so it's pretty damn loud, I am currently looking for a used Supra 3" exhaust for the cheap. The tires are almost bald, I need a tranny cooler, and a 44" serpentine belt. And.... I need to bleed the brakes.

I'm still planning on working on it, but I've been building a mud truck to go on trail runs for the weekend with other wheelers. I've got the 350 built, I'm waiting on gaskets for the 4L60E. I'm also doing a solid axle swap, or SAS on it, as it has IFS. I ended up getting a Toyota E-locker for super cheap, and I'm building the solid axle at the same time as the 350 swap so I'm quite consumed. It's actually just started to get nice again, so I plan on putting some time in the LS4, but the weather's so crappy. We had 60's last week, than snow on Friday, and we supposed to get snow tomorrow night too. I wish I was in Ahwatukee, that place was like heaven to me.
Old 04-25-11, 09:13 PM
groove
Driver School Candidate

Sweet thread, just read the whole deal. I've been out of the CL scene a few years now, but my 400 is coming back to me shortly! I'm finding a lot of inspiration here. Hmmm...

Cheers
G
Old 04-26-11, 07:29 AM
papasmithn
10th Gear

Wow, the time, skill, intelligence and persistance in doing this project is humbling. Keep us posted.
Old 04-27-11, 05:17 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by groove
Sweet thread, just read the whole deal. I've been out of the CL scene a few years now, but my 400 is coming back to me shortly! I'm finding a lot of inspiration here. Hmmm...

Cheers
G
Originally Posted by papasmithn
Wow, the time, skill, intelligence and persistance in doing this project is humbling. Keep us posted.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the time you've taken to read it.
Old 04-27-11, 09:34 AM
Dex334
Driver School Candidate

New owner of a LS400. Been a shade-tree hot rodder all my life.Read all of this extremely well done and interesting thread. Your energy and dedication to lo-buck/hi-output modifications is truely amazing. Your varied autos show off a mechanical aptitude that can not be taught. Kudos to you.

Quick Reply: Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.