LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aftermarket vs rebuilt oem steering pumps and acv

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 10:52 PM
freegard
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Aftermarket vs rebuilt oem steering pumps and acv

I need to buy a power steering pump and an ACV for my 94 LS400. I am on a very tight budget. Do I buy one for fifty bucks from a wrecking yard? From a parts house that is aftermarket or a rebuilt oem. And how much is an air control valve and can I even get get one?

I read that if the ACV was defective it would suck trans fluid from the power steering reservoir. Is that what really happens or is it because the power steering seals in the pump are bad thereby allowing the ACV to pull fluid into the manifold intake and the egr valve into the air cleaner? Is the ACV just doing what it does or is it bad if it does this?

Last edited by freegard; 12-24-10 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LSnewb (06-02-22)
Old 12-25-10, 05:38 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U can but a PS pump rebuild kit from Lexus for 30 bucks or so...
Old 12-26-10, 06:16 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradster
U can but a PS pump rebuild kit from Lexus for 30 bucks or so...
Yes buy one and get a used PS pump from junk yard and rebuild it or rebuild your own if you don;t mind the car being out of commission while you do it. lexls.com give a tutorial on how to do the rebuild. The acv valve is around $90 from Lexus and if you're on a budget forget about it. It is likely the cause of your leak right now (or at least one of them) and blocking it off you WILL NOT notice a difference. To be safe get rid of it whether you buy an aftermarket a rebuild or you do the rebuild yourself.

If you rebuild your own and bypass the ACV you can be back on the road for $50 or less.

Rubuilt or aftermarket you'll be at $150 or up. Forget about new.

And by the way I bought aftermarket "brand new" off ebay for $150 and wound up with it apart again at the machine shop 2 weeks later fixing it because it was cheaply made in China.

Another option - give it to Lexus - they stated on my last bill. "PS Pump leaking - est. $1,200" Nice

Last edited by StevieA; 12-26-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 04:10 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how you bypass the acv? any pics of it? still tryin to figure out what it looks like and how to bypass it or plug it up
Old 12-28-10, 07:01 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

There are several threads on here with pics. It is a metal bolt with valve inside mated to a plastic "Y" that has two small rubber hoses coming up from the bottom of the PS pump and attaching to your intake. Where the acv valve is combination of metal and plastic it is common to leak with the age of these cars. We Removed the two small hoses and replaced with similar hose just an inch long each out of the intake and plugged them with wheel studs (for snow). My PS pump I bought off ebay came with a bolt already in the acv valve hole but others have had to go to a hardware or auto store to find a bolt the right thread to fill the acv hole on the pump. One thread here with pics welded the original acv valve shut after removing the plastic part and used that as a plug.

Just do a search on here for "acv" or "valve" or look at the sticky thread on the main page you should find thread with pics in a matter of minutes.

here's a pic of it - http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1993/4415.html

Last edited by StevieA; 12-28-10 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 01:16 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

thanks stevie!! so just cover up the plastic tubes in the back right? so the hoses that you take off you dont use nomore correct? so you dont plug them just the avc right? thanks much for the help
Old 12-28-10, 05:23 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

No, to clarify, we removed the small OEM hoses from the acv valve to the two spots on the intake and stuffed them away for later (in case I decided to install a new acv valve). Then removed the old avc valve (well actually I was removing the whole pump so the valve went with it. My new pump already had a bolt plugging the hole where the acv valve would be so that was covered for me - someone else would have to find a bolt or something to plug that if they were rebuilding their own pump and bypassing the acv valve. Then on the two spots where the small tubing from the acv connects t the intake, we put on two pieses of rubber hose an inch or so long similar in diameter to the hoses I removed and plugged the ends of them with wheel snow studs.

The acv will need removed and a bolt put in its place as it is llikley leaking and if not now then it soon will be. Therefore the intake holes to the acv needs plugged too to prevent vacuum leaks.

Plugging the tubes from your existing acv is useless. It is highly likley it will still leak and you'll have to plug the intake hoses as well for vacuum reasons if you do this.

Last edited by StevieA; 12-28-10 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 05:32 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

Yea i want to plug it, so you basically saying plug the 2 hols in acv vavle and plug the hoses that go to the acv valve correct