LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Extended Warrenty '04 LS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 06:19 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Extended Warrenty '04 LS

Hey guys... I've been doing some homework regarding extended warranty for my 2004 LS430.

Well, I spoke to a few dealerships, and they all quoted me $2900 for the 7/100,000 Platinum warranty. Does this seem inline with what everyone else is getting?

I have the Ultra, and could really appreciate the extra warranty as I am approaching 42K.

Interestingly enough, a dealer told me that if I buy, and never use the warranty (pay out of pocket expenses for small repairs) They would refund me 100% of my money at the end of the period. I thought it was better then the others.
Old 06-09-07, 06:45 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds kind of fishy. I would assume the warranty companies make money like insurance companies do. They have you pay a premium, and hope that repairs do not exceed this amount.

If they give you your money back at the end (even if you dont use it) they are still running up this risk consideribly. I would ask to see the policy in writing. Sounds like the sales person has his info incorrect or is trying to smooth talk you.
Old 06-09-07, 09:43 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

x2. Get it in writing. Also, when you say 7 years, does that mean 7 additional years or from 2004 to 2010?
Old 06-10-07, 12:09 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by bigcory
That sounds kind of fishy. I would assume the warranty companies make money like insurance companies do. They have you pay a premium, and hope that repairs do not exceed this amount.

If they give you your money back at the end (even if you dont use it) they are still running up this risk considerably. I would ask to see the policy in writing. Sounds like the sales person has his info incorrect or is trying to smooth talk you.
Its all Lexus platinum warranty (by Lexus financial) from the dealer. Not a 3rd party.

I'm sure going to request it in writing. However, it helps them as much as the customer. Because A. they keep the money racking interest for the 7 years, or however amount if you dotn make any claims past your factory 4 years 50K. It also encourages customers to try and save, and not claim just anything to warranty, in hopes you would pay for items, so you can get your money back in the end, until you hit a big buc item, which would have been inevitable if you've been using it from the start date. Say you do buy it, and you dotn have any problems till the third year, where a tranny goes out on you for example... You would have lost all the money you spent on small ticket items. Its money for them.

Originally Posted by airtime
x2. Get it in writing. Also, when you say 7 years, does that mean 7 additional years or from 2004 to 2010?
It extends your factory another 3 years, and 50K. Totaling 7years/100K. But its not ON TOP of the factory's 4 years. You can renew it again so as long as your under 100K.
Old 06-10-07, 09:32 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually then, I got this exact warranty when I got my car from the Lexus dealer 2 months ago . The car was at 41k miles. They rolled it in with the cost of the car. I got a nice little certificate and coupon for the first free oil change.
Old 06-10-07, 06:44 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I was offered a the extended warranty too and passed. I took my 1990 LS to 125K miles before I sold it and my 1996 LX450 has 185K miles and is still kicking. The refunding of the premium is in line with insurance these days. You forget that they will have use of your money for 7 years and given the time value of money they reinvest it and more than double it so essentially you lose the use of your money. Think of it the same way, if you stuck the $2,900 in a mutual fund and needed a repair in 5 years you'd have about $4,900 to fix it. I'd rather take control of my own money and trust in the fact that I bought a Lexus because it's well................................ a Lexus, or like I like to say, the finest Toyota has to offer (remember the old Toyota's with obnoxious mileage commercials?) Good luck Grand!

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 06-10-07 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 08:50 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

$2,900 seems high to me. My mom just bought the same warranty for her 2003 LS and she paid exactly $2,000. I'm pretty sure the price is negotiable.
Old 06-11-07, 06:51 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

THanks for the info guys... I guess I will try and get some more quotes, and see what I can do.
Old 06-11-07, 08:04 AM
wilkie1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following is 3 places recommended by people on this site. I don't know any of them, but they were just giving us places to check out. Let us know how you do.

1. Of course, it's Lexus of Tempe here in AZ. Call and ask for Tom, the service manager. He's a VERY cool guy. Tell him you were referred by David Allen.

2.hey give troy a call here is a quote i received from him in nov 2006. Its probably a little more, but definitly worth a shot.

I am currently offering the Lexus Platinum Program for 6 yrs / 100,000 miles
w/ $0 deductible for $1630.00 on the LS430. several members here have bought LEXUS warranty from troy.
good luck

Toyota of Greenfield
12 Olive Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich
Please call or email me if you think of any more questions. My phone number
is (413) 772-0989
------------------------
3. Call Jeff @ Lexus of Huntsville. I purchased an extended for my car and the whole transactions was great.
256-824-8050
Old 06-11-07, 09:35 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

I actually decided NOT to get the extended warranty for my LS430. After doing research, the chance of enough going wrong to warrant the cost is close to nil. I know there's the rare instance where something real expensive goes out (say Nav) but statistically it just doesn't happen at a high enough rate to justify the cost IMO.
Old 06-11-07, 12:49 PM
tomsls
Driver School Candidate

My 04 Ultra has 41k miles so I will hit my 4 year mark before the 50k mark. How about a group buy on extended warranties? $1500 for the 7yr/100k would be a price I am willing to pay but anything over $2gs does not seem worth it.
I have had all four struts, back-up camera and a couple of belts recently replaced under warranty so things can go wrong but at least they should be good til 100k miles.
Old 06-12-07, 01:35 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by wilkie1020
The following is 3 places recommended by people on this site. I don't know any of them, but they were just giving us places to check out. Let us know how you do.

1. Of course, it's Lexus of Tempe here in AZ. Call and ask for Tom, the service manager. He's a VERY cool guy. Tell him you were referred by David Allen.

2.hey give troy a call here is a quote i received from him in nov 2006. Its probably a little more, but definitly worth a shot.

I am currently offering the Lexus Platinum Program for 6 yrs / 100,000 miles
w/ $0 deductible for $1630.00 on the LS430. several members here have bought LEXUS warranty from troy.
good luck

Toyota of Greenfield
12 Olive Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich
Please call or email me if you think of any more questions. My phone number
is (413) 772-0989
------------------------
3. Call Jeff @ Lexus of Huntsville. I purchased an extended for my car and the whole transactions was great.
256-824-8050
great info, thanks!
Old 06-13-07, 05:46 AM
cacman
Driver School Candidate

tomsls - how/why were you able to get all 4 struts and belts replaced under warranty? I have several rattles that I can hear over our great roads here in PA. Have you guys had much luck with the dealer fixing such things? I am the 2nd owner and have yet to take it to the dealer. Just wondering if you think it is worth it, or will they say - "we could not hear anything" - One more rattle problem is with my seat belt strap holder. I have actually stuck a piece of thick paper in there to stop the rattling. I wish I had better eye sight instead of good hearing .
Old 06-13-07, 10:23 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

I've found it all comes down to how good the dealership and management is.

Some dealerships will do anything they can to get out of warranty work. Others will work with you on anything and everything to build a good relationship.

The latter, of course, is the best to have. If you take your car to a Lexus dealership and they don't treat you with respect and act honorably when it comes to warranty work, then find another dealership.
Old 06-13-07, 12:41 PM
tomsls
Driver School Candidate

My dealer has fixed every problem presented to him on my car. They even offered, and I accepted, to have me drive with the head mechanic and I could point out what seems wrong. I let him drive and basically a quarter mile later he claimed that the struts were bad since it was floating like a buick. We still went on a long drive just to make sure of everything else. This works the best since there is no having to imitate a noise or vaguely describe a problem. They even fixed a squeaking window seal that was caused by aftermarket tint. They did not have to but they did.. If you are under warranty you have nothing to lose by taking it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Extended Warrenty '04 LS