LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

MP3 WMA in my LS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 07:41 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default MP3 WMA in my LS4

I just had to pass along the good news. For xmas, my wife bought me the Creative Zen 20GB mp3/wma player. I used this device on the airplane several times, and wanted to use it in my LS430. Since I've got the ML sound system, I thought this would be a great match. Three choices for integration; wireless FM integrator... wired FM modulator.... or a cassette adaptor. I tried the wiress FM route and was not satisfied with the limited frequency response from the unit. I tried the Monster Cable one. I then bought a tape adapter and was very happy with the price and sound quality. I'll take a photo this weekend and post.

It does look messy now, but I heard there were MP3 holders for the car that fit into the cup holders. Anyone point me to a good website with such information? Thanks.
Old 01-11-05, 04:22 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Images

Images 1 of 3
Attached Thumbnails MP3 WMA in my LS4-mp3player_01.jpg  
Old 01-11-05, 04:23 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Images

Image 2 of 3
Attached Thumbnails MP3 WMA in my LS4-mp3player_02.jpg  
Old 01-11-05, 04:23 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Images

Image 3 of 3
Attached Thumbnails MP3 WMA in my LS4-mp3player_04.jpg  
Old 01-11-05, 04:29 PM
usmanj
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by usmanj; 09-09-14 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-12-05, 12:44 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanj
That's exactly what I did with my Ipod. It works well for a temporary solution.
I did the same with my 15gb Ipod. Im probably just gonna leave it permanent. The ipod in CLASSICAL mode on the EQ mates terrifically with the Mark Levinson sound system, especially with the well modulated highs. Even a cheap cassette adapter will sound a million times better than those FM Modulators by the way, I have one and those things are trash.

By the way, nice little hiding spot for the Ipod without having to do too much wriggling around is the little soft spot in between the seat and the console on either driver or passenger side. Its only barely visible there.

I have to admit... Im starting to get a little scared of how similar us LS430 owners are!! I originally came to this Forum looking for a rogue answer on belt squeakage in my 02 and lo and behold it was like the 5th post down "LS430 Belt Squeaky"! Then I noticed you did the MP3 thing just like me, and even have the same exact brand Cassette adapter I do (and Ive had it like 5 years)! On top of that, the poster above uses the ipod through the cass adapter like I do as well. Pretty neat group of people.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 01-12-05 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-12-05, 09:11 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Agree

I completely agree on the FM Modulator. I tried the Monster Cable Wireless FM device from Radio Shack and it was cool looking (i.e. glowed nicely), but the sound quality was worse than the FM radio stations. The volume was also worse.

I'm looking for a better mount for the device, and might just purchase an inexpensive cellphone belt hook that I can attached to my dash using 3M double-sided tape. I posted a thread on the Audio section about this need. Take a look if your interested in what others have suggested.
Old 01-12-05, 10:13 PM
Mandingo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the best sound quality is a cassette adapter, not an FM transmitter - those things are worthless.

I came up with a tidy solution for my iPod and cassette adapter in my 04. You can hide the small wire from the cassette behind the CD door and then down the edge of the center console (just push it deep in there with a credit card or similar) and then into the lidded storage console.

I have a Belkin iPod kit that charges the iPod from the center console power outlet and gives a nice quality aux out and amplifier for 40 bucks Belkin iPod car kit

With the lid closed it's basically invisible. If you look at these pictures closely the wire is only slightly visible at the cassette door opening and appears again for 1 inch as it enters the storage console. To connect I just open the lid and plug in the adapter. Doesn't interfere with cup holders or lid closing. All iPod controls fall neatly to hand too.
Attached Thumbnails MP3 WMA in my LS4-ipod2.jpg  

Last edited by Mandingo; 01-12-05 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 11:31 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mandingo
I agree the best sound quality is a cassette adapter, not an FM transmitter - those things are worthless.

I came up with a tidy solution for my iPod and cassette adapter in my 04. You can hide the small wire from the cassette behind the CD door and then down the edge of the center console (just push it deep in there with a credit card or similar) and then into the lidded storage console.

I have a Belkin iPod kit that charges the iPod from the center console power outlet and gives a nice quality aux out and amplifier for 40 bucks Belkin iPod car kit

With the lid closed it's basically invisible. If you look at these pictures closely the wire is only slightly visible at the cassette door opening and appears again for 1 inch as it enters the storage console. To connect I just open the lid and plug in the adapter. Doesn't interfere with cup holders or lid closing. All iPod controls fall neatly to hand too.
Awesome Solution!! Once again, thats also the same car adapter Im using. Its actually quite a substantial improvement in sound surprisingly. At first I didnt think much of it and just went straight from the Ipod's headphone output. Then I realized that when you do that you get alot of cross-interference from the hard drive mechanism, so really just trying to organize things a little better one day, I used the headphone jack on the Belkin and found the sound quality much improved. Another important thing is that you cant utilize the EQ features of the Ipod without connecting through the headphone out on the belkin unit.
Old 01-13-05, 11:43 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Awesome Solution!! Once again, thats also the same car adapter Im using. Its actually quite a substantial improvement in sound surprisingly. At first I didnt think much of it and just went straight from the Ipod's headphone output. Then I realized that when you do that you get alot of cross-interference from the hard drive mechanism, so really just trying to organize things a little better one day, I used the headphone jack on the Belkin and found the sound quality much improved. Another important thing is that you cant utilize the EQ features of the Ipod without connecting through the headphone out on the belkin unit.
Worked out great! Thanks alot for the suggestion!

I should note that the thinner the tape adapter wire the better. Its probably not good to stretch out the sidewall of the console too much so it doesnt get deformed in case you ever take the wire out of there.
Old 01-14-05, 07:39 AM
Mandingo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked out for you too. I found the Sony adapters have one very thin wire that is much easier to hide ...
Attached Images