LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How does TSB work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 09:46 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How does TSB work?

I have 2004 LS430, and been having problem with slow crank. After taking it to dealership, they said I have to replace Fuel Pump ($750 est for part and labor). But I did notice there was recall on Fuel Pump...

http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/2004-lexu...3l-3uz-fe.html
Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2004 Lexus LS 430 V8-4.3L (3UZ-FE)
JULY 2004 Recall - Automatic Transmission Replacement
JULY 2004 Recall - Fuel Pump Replacement

I believe this was never done on my car, that's why it's failing now. Even if warranty is over, shouldn't the Dealership cover Recalls if it was never performed??? Am I wrong about this?
Old 09-01-09, 09:58 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Make : LEXUS Model : LS 430 Year : 2004
Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Number : 4 Date of Bulletin : JUL 20, 2004
NHTSA Item Number : 10008841
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Summary :
SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN 4LB - FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT. THE IMPELLER INSIDE THE FUEL PUMP MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MOLDED DUE TO A MANUFACTURING ERROR. *TT

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...sb/results.cfm
Old 09-02-09, 07:11 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea what the correct answer for this is, but here is my guess.

This should be covered and replaced for free under the TSB providing the work hasn't already been done. The TSB shows it was a defective part and describes the problem. Lexus became aware of the problem and put out a fix for vehicles that suffer the problem. You might now have that problem.

Same thing if this was for the trans TSIB. It was found to be defective and a fix issued.

Let us know what the dealer or Lexus says on this!
Old 09-02-09, 08:24 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you dealer search your car's service records on his computer. All your Lexus service records are there. He should be able to quickly determine whether your fuel pump was replaced under the recall. Ask him for a printout. If it hasn't been done, I would think they would honor the recall and do the job.

If you go to Lexus.com and establish myLexus account you can then access your Lexus service files for your car, including previous owner records. You can even edit it and install service you have had done by other people.

Last edited by jayclapp; 09-02-09 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-09, 11:38 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) are not the same as recalls. Recalls are to cover a defect that could cause problems as outlined by the HTSB (or whatever initial they are) and usually cover a particular VIN range, and replacement/fix are free. TSB are known issues that may or may not occur, but the TSB instructs on the specific instructions on how to rectify the problem. TSB repairs are NOT free, unless it still falls under warranty the repair.

The two recalls for transmissions and fuel pump only cover a certain VIN range. My '04 LS430 did not fall into that range, so it's not part of that recall. If my transmission (knock on wood it does not) blows up tomorrow, it's on me and Lexus to try to come to good terms on pricing, but cause the VIN does not fall within the recall range.

Maybe with your vehicle, this is the case. That it did not fall under the defective fuel pump VIN, but your fuel pump just happened to fail and so it's on you. Hopefully if the mileage is low, Lexus can do a discount for you.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 09-02-09 at 11:42 AM. Reason: falls under warranty
Old 09-04-09, 09:08 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

after more research on the net, found out Recall or TSB (both same) must be covered under warranty period 4yr/50k miles... This sucks... I'm pretty sure the service was never done on my car. Doesn't matter with the vin # issues. I however was able to find the part for lot less and someone I know can install it for free. super easy job coming from him.
Old 09-05-09, 07:46 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Safety issues

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
after more research on the net, found out Recall or TSB (both same) must be covered under warranty period 4yr/50k miles... This sucks... I'm pretty sure the service was never done on my car. Doesn't matter with the vin # issues. I however was able to find the part for lot less and someone I know can install it for free. super easy job coming from him.
TSB's are covered under the normal warranty if it applies otherwise you pay for repair. I'm pretty sure recalls are regardless of vehicle mileage. Recalls are typical for defects in design that exist no matter how many miles are on the vehicle. Example defective component that COULD cause a fire in the engine bay. If even after 100K miles, the piece still exists that could cause a fire, so why would it not be covered?
Old 09-05-09, 11:17 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

TSB= Technical Service Bulletin. That's all it is, a notice on a new procedure or notice that is not in the service manual.
Some TSBs might be as inane as 5w/20 oil is now approved for service or do this to replace a wiper blade instead of original instructions.

A TSB for a particular repair will say under what conditions the work will be covered by warranty. You need to read the whole TSB.
Old 09-06-09, 03:01 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
TSB's are covered under the normal warranty if it applies otherwise you pay for repair. I'm pretty sure recalls are regardless of vehicle mileage. Recalls are typical for defects in design that exist no matter how many miles are on the vehicle. Example defective component that COULD cause a fire in the engine bay. If even after 100K miles, the piece still exists that could cause a fire, so why would it not be covered?
Actually, some recalls or "service campaigns" as Lexus calls them have expiration dates. You wouldn't be able to take your 2004 LS and have the transmission replaced 5 years from now under to the 4 yearold recall.

Your relationship with your dealer also dictates how much they would be willing to do. Never hurts to drop by.
Old 09-06-09, 10:38 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work as a service writer, not for Lexus (I wish I did)

TSB's are usually done to the car if the vehicle is affected by it within the warranty period.

Recalls are done to the car no matter what (expired warranty, salvaged, 2nd owner, etc.)

But, based on your service records, and how bad you complain to consumer affairs. You can have it done under warranty as "goodwill" on their part. If they do not want to pay all, They may be willing to cover parts and or part of labor depending on how much they are willing to help you out.

Each situation is different though, hopefully it gets resolved with no $ out of pocket.

Keep us posted!!
Old 09-07-09, 04:14 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Recalls by government are different than "service campaigns." The sludge issue with the RX300 extending to 8 years/100K or something like that was a "service campaign" that had a limit, not a gov't recall because it posed no hazard. A recall, like I said before, is basically for a safety issue that isn't just going to disappear or not happen because the car has x-miles or y-years.

Anyway, your fuel pump issue is probably not covered because of VIN, so it's all "goodwill" battle now.
Old 09-07-09, 07:25 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Recalls by government are different than "service campaigns." The sludge issue with the RX300 extending to 8 years/100K or something like that was a "service campaign" that had a limit, not a gov't recall because it posed no hazard. A recall, like I said before, is basically for a safety issue that isn't just going to disappear or not happen because the car has x-miles or y-years.

Anyway, your fuel pump issue is probably not covered because of VIN, so it's all "goodwill" battle now.
If I didn't already purchased the fuel pump (at relative decent price), I probably would have called Lexus Corp, but it's not worth the trouble now. TSB is a Bulletin for RECALLS, however the dealer won't own up to it, it's only good during warranty period.
Old 09-07-09, 07:32 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have no idea why so many people are making generalizations in order to make a bad guy out of someone.

Each individual TSB and recall is different. Read the actual specific TSB and it will specifically say what circumstances the work is covered.
Old 09-08-09, 10:19 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Ripping

Originally Posted by raytseng
I have no idea why so many people are making generalizations in order to make a bad guy out of someone.

Each individual TSB and recall is different. Read the actual specific TSB and it will specifically say what circumstances the work is covered.
I don't think we're ripping anyone here. If nothing else, I'm trying to get everyone to go back and fight for things with Lexus. If something doesn't expire, or exists for your vehicle, then why not go back to Lexus? Also, you are correct, each TSB has to be read to see if they expire or not...