LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 wood trim, is it real wood or just "wood looking" plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 09:45 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default LS430 wood trim, is it real wood or just "wood looking" plastic?

searched the forum but didn't get any answer.

I just couldn't tell if the wood on the steering wheel, shift knok, dash board are real wood.

in some LS, it looks really nice but in others not too real so I have a hard time figuring this out. For blk-on-blk, there is a "red, rose" looking kind of wood (also for UL there is a light grey wood trim) so it kind of let me to believe the wood is not real.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-25-10, 09:57 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i remember correctly form reading "The Lexus Story"...the wood trim in each LS is all from one tree. That would account for the different grain patterns you find in the cars. And yes its real wood.

From an SC 430 review
The real wood trim comes in two flavors depending on the color of the interior. The white (Ecru) interior features Bird's-Eye Maple while the Black and Saddle Tan interiors use Burled Walnut.

Last edited by honeygee2; 02-25-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 10:17 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes...it's real, and honegee2 is correct----They are all cut from the same tree. (Not one BIG tree for all LS's, rather...ALL trim pieces in an LS from the same tree)...if that makes it a little more clear.
Old 02-25-10, 10:58 AM
intermec
Intermediate

so how do lexus makes wood looks like this, you think they colored them
Attached Thumbnails LS430 wood trim, is it real wood or just "wood looking" plastic?-ls2.jpg   LS430 wood trim, is it real wood or just "wood looking" plastic?-ls.jpg  
Old 02-25-10, 11:40 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The wood are different wood. It's not pine ( ) and just colored different colors. The greyish color is Birdseye Maple and the reddish you see there is Red Walnut or something. Of course there is some varnish coloring with it as well.

The wood is definitely real, but as for the from "one tree" concept of the panels, I believe that that particular quality control started with the LS460, not the LS430. The pieces are cut from one tree, one slice, so the the grain is consistent and connected from one panel to the next. So, if you were to start from say the rear drivers side door and go to front and back up to the rear passenger's side rear door, the wood would seem like it flowed.

It was cut at the wood factory, varnished, and serial number marked to be later assembled at the auto assembly plant in one car. It was not just a mix and match of various pieces from a generic bin.

Further more, I had read here on CL that the company that varnishes the wood is the same company that varnishes Yamaha pianos... but I did not actually read that myself on any Lexus site.
Old 02-25-10, 12:39 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess it is nice o know it is real wood and it sure fels soft and smooth. IMO it is so perfectly coated you do not feel any of the grain and it has little depth to it..

I sat in a Infinit M45 when I bought my car and the wood had depth and character and did much more of a natural grainy less glossy feel and look to it. I like the natural unfinished look alot more. JMO
Old 02-25-10, 12:58 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Natural

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I guess it is nice o know it is real wood and it sure fels soft and smooth. IMO it is so perfectly coated you do not feel any of the grain and it has little depth to it..

I sat in a Infinit M45 when I bought my car and the wood had depth and character and did much more of a natural grainy less glossy feel and look to it. I like the natural unfinished look alot more. JMO
I believe the LS460 Sport you can have option of the natural unpolished (or lightly polished) wood... I personally like the polished wood, but a preservation point of view. The sun will already beat down on treated wood over time, imagine for untreated. I've seen many older MB with the unpolished wood and they're all dried and cracked. The leather being cracked is bad enough, don't need the wood drying too.
Old 02-25-10, 04:39 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

In Lexus strive for perfection,the wood is stained,varnished, and polished to such a degree that it does almost resemble plastic. I love it.
Old 02-25-10, 07:12 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
In Lexus strive for perfection,the wood is stained,varnished, and polished to such a degree that it does almost resemble plastic. I love it.
x2. if you want plastic wood, you can get that on a 4runner.
Old 02-25-10, 07:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, absolutely 100% genuine wood. The darkened towards edges is the Antique Walnut wood on the 2004-and later LS 430. The dark treatment is to blend into the black leather interior. A lot of Lexus wood comes from sustainable plantations in Canada.
Old 02-25-10, 09:34 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Even further...

Originally Posted by encore888
Yep, absolutely 100% genuine wood. The darkened towards edges is the Antique Walnut wood on the 2004-and later LS 430. The dark treatment is to blend into the black leather interior. A lot of Lexus wood comes from sustainable plantations in Canada.
I think it was 2004-2006 and on CL or UL trim only. I don't think you could get this wood trim on "lesser" LS430s.
Old 02-25-10, 09:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I think it was 2004-2006 and on CL or UL trim only. I don't think you could get this wood trim on "lesser" LS430s.
I believe you are correct; at least the CL or UL packages were required for the Black or Bordeaux semi-aniline leather interior, or the Ecru Nappa interior, and it was the Antique Walnut which was paired with the Black interior leather.
Old 02-26-10, 02:07 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wood smood I think it looks so perfect it looks like plastic JMO
Old 02-26-10, 07:27 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree - wish it actually looked like wood, its so over treated and processed it looks fake - several of my passengers have assumed it is plastic. The whole point of having real wood is that it still looks like real wood.
Old 02-26-10, 08:27 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I agree - wish it actually looked like wood, its so over treated and processed it looks fake - several of my passengers have assumed it is plastic. The whole point of having real wood is that it still looks like real wood.
YES, that's the impression I have too.

Quick Reply: LS430 wood trim, is it real wood or just "wood looking" plastic?