LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Which Studless Winter Tire?
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
0%
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
33.33%
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3
0%
Michelin X-Ice Xi2
66.67%
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Vote for LS430 Winter / Snow Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 08:58 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vote for LS430 Winter / Snow Tire Choice

I have some 17" silver 01 LS430 wheels and am ready to get some winter tires for use in Michigan. I'll probably drive the Subaru on the worst days, but "clear" days often have a lot of black ice on the interstate, especially with budget cuts. Which of the listed tires would you choose (or recommend another) and why? Sorry, studded tires are not allowed in our state. Thanks!
Old 09-13-10, 10:51 AM
otis_jzs
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. In for an answer
Old 09-13-10, 02:01 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I advise you check out the evaluations on the TireRack website. Very Helpful.

I'd bet any of those tires would be just fine. I have only used the Michelin X-Ice tires on an Acura Legend, not on a LS, and was very happy in the snow, until they where half worn. I live in Toronto and we get LOTS of snow and cold and do drive in the mountains up north skiing. I would NOT buy Michelin X-Ice tires again.

Of the tires you listed, I would be most tempted to try Nokian Hakkapeliitta and Bridgestone Blizzak. Michelins here at overprice IMO
Old 09-13-10, 02:12 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be curious as well. I have always run stock tires in the winter time, work ok so far though I do get stuck a lot/feel the oversteer a lot more in my RWDs.

EDIT: I probably don't see myself getting a set soon as I normally avoid the really bad days anyways (don't want to corrode the paint). I also do like to go have some fun at midnight of a heavy snow fall...lol

Last edited by CarGuy89; 09-13-10 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 02:13 PM
Dailow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing, but don't really have any experience with the majority of those tires.

I do have a set of 16" X-Ice Xi2 tires on my Acura CL (ironically enough they now have more dry grip than my worn Yokohama all seasons) and they were great for Vancouver snow days. I didn't have any problems getting around Vancouver with them (which is really hilly), but it's not 100% fool-proof. I still found some instances where I'd be sliding around on ice, but the difference with the X-Ice tires was that it'd be a predictable slide. They're decent all-around tires, although road noise is higher, as can be expected.

I've only had them for one season so I couldn't really tell you how quickly they wear.
Old 09-13-10, 05:43 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I had the Michelin Xi2 tires on my Dakota last winter and they worked well on that RWD truck. However, it is only a T rated tire and I wonder about running a tire two speed ratings below stock - especially when there may be extended periods above freezing during the winter. They were also quite noisy on dry pavement.

The Pilot Alpin is a V rated tire that I had on my MKZ. It was a bit rough and noisy. The grip was better than stock, but not as good as the Xi2.

Primacy Alpin is a H rated tire. The Nokians are very popular with the Subaru Outback crowd. The Michelin website recommends the Primacy Alpin or Xi2. Right now, I'm debating between the two.

Last edited by caddyowner; 09-13-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 08:14 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Best winter tires? Whatever is on my LX470! The LS is one scary car to drive in the winter!
Old 09-13-10, 09:19 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bon
Best winter tires? Whatever is on my LX470! The LS is one scary car to drive in the winter!
Lol that bad? I guess I will find out in a few months...lol
Old 09-14-10, 05:15 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I don't have any problem driving RWD cars or trucks through the winter as I've done it for decades. Good winter tires, a light throttle, knowledge of how my car performs, and common sense about when to stay home has gotten me through some pretty nasty winters. The only times I ever had winter driving problems was when I ignored one of those factors - especially the last one. However, Michigan winters take a toll on the appearance of cars, inside and out, that winter mats and cleaning never completely eliminates. I want to keep the LS looking nice for many years and miles.
Old 09-14-10, 05:46 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I don't have any problem driving RWD cars or trucks through the winter as I've done it for decades. Good winter tires, a light throttle, knowledge of how my car performs, and common sense about when to stay home has gotten me through some pretty nasty winters. The only times I ever had winter driving problems was when I ignored one of those factors - especially the last one. However, Michigan winters take a toll on the appearance of cars, inside and out, that winter mats and cleaning never completely eliminates. I want to keep the LS looking nice for many years and miles.
I haven't really had too many problems either (no accidents anyway). I did have my old 5 series go into a series of light powerslides at 60 on the highway due to black ice that I wasn't aware of (got it under control). That was probably the worst time and I was extra careful while driving too. Snows do sound like a pretty good idea. Would you recommend good all-seasons (kinda best of both worlds so I don't have tires taking up valuable space in my dorm room) as a substitute for snows?

I avoid the really slushy days altogether so that my car doesn't look gross/potentially rust. I did get a new set of floormats from the dealer when I got the car, so I will be using the old dirty set in the winter. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I asked for rubber mats but they said that they don't use mats b/c of the notorious accelerator issue that Toyota has had... Do you run rubber mats?
Old 09-14-10, 06:24 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
Per Lexus of Lansing, the Lexus rubber mats are supposed to be available later this month.

As for running all-season v. dedicated winter tires, I look at it this way:

- Winter tires and wheels save miles and wear on my summer tires.

- I can get summer tires that meet my ride desires (smoothness or performance) without worrying about winter traction.

- Summer chrome wheels won't get pitted / peel.

- My basement is a great storage place for tires and wheels. (Check with your parents.)

- Belle Tire swaps my wheels / tires for free and provide big plastic bags so the trunk & interior don't get messed up.

- The LS430 does not have sensor based TPMS, so the twice annual air-down, air-up learning process isn't necessary, not to mention the added cost of two sets of TPMS sensors.

All that said, I will probably not be running dedicated winter tires / wheels on my new (to me) Outback this winter. The car has TPMS sensors and fairly new (8K miles) Goodyear TripleTred tires. These (noisy) tires have a good reputation for winter handling, plus Subaru AWD. The Subie's silver painted wheels already have a number of curb scrapes, so we'll see what happens this winter and maybe get a second set of tires / wheels next year.
Old 09-14-10, 09:49 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I voted Michelin X-Ice Xi2 because that's what I use in the winter. I have no experience with any other winter tires so I can't provide any comparison. I made my purchase decision based on various online reviews I read about the Xi2. Driving carefully, the Xi2 tires handled winter conditions just fine for me.

The only problem I had last winter was one day when it rained at night (no snow on roads) and then the rain froze right away. Steering the car on a slight decline was extremely difficult (couldn't even turn into my driveway, parked in visitor parking just past my house).

I don't think any studless tire could do any better on sheer ice. You definitely need studded tires for situations like that. Since that was only 1 day out of the entire winter season, it's not an issue for me.