2004+ LS430 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 10:04 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2004+ LS430 as a DD?

Hey everyone,

I just recently sold my 2GS and have been thinking a lot about getting into a 3rd gen GS...but I've recently started to consider the 2004+ LS430 more and more. Thinking back, the main reasons why I sold my GS was 1) not enough room to move stuff (I move wheels/tires a lot and I just threw them in the back seat but was cramped) and 2) it was getting old so I wanted something newer.

I have a few questions I was hoping some owners could help me answer:
  1. How reliable is the 04 LS430? Is the first year more prone to issues than say an 05+?
  2. What mpg city/hwy/mix do you get?
  3. what are some must have options on the LS?
  4. Also, I see a lot of LS dropped... do they all have aftermarket suspension or does some of them have air ride?

Thanks!

Edwin
Old 11-10-10, 10:33 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 05 LS430, custom luxury as my DD since March, 2010. I drive about 450 mles per week and love it.

1 - No major problems for me, just two minor fixes (one switch was bad when I got it and the steering column retract failed.) Both were a few hundred to repair. I targeted 05 or 06 as there were a few problems with 04s. But, the 04 owners here will likely say that they are also rock solid cars once the TSBs are done.

2 - Per the display, I get 24.5 - 25.0 MPG per tank, running on Shell 93 octane. I drive 80%+ freeway at about 75 MPH.

3 - This generates a lot of discussion. Many folks want at least nav, backup camera, bluetooth, and Mark Levinson which are all part of the Modern Luxury package and above. (Premium and base don't have these.) Custom Luxury adds more and nicer leather, suede headliner, laminated side windows, power door closers, etc. Ultra Luxury adds the air suspension and back seat amenities. I targeted the rather rare CL level.

4 - If you see a dropped LS430 it has either a drop kit or an aftermarket controller for the UL air suspension.

I considered a lot of used luxury sedans and decided on the LS430 to best meet our daily driver needs. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-10-10, 11:28 AM
m32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I have an 05 LS430, custom luxury as my DD since March, 2010. I drive about 450 mles per week and love it.

1 - No major problems for me, just two minor fixes (one switch was bad when I got it and the steering column retract failed.) Both were a few hundred to repair. I targeted 05 or 06 as there were a few problems with 04s. But, the 04 owners here will likely say that they are also rock solid cars once the TSBs are done.

2 - Per the display, I get 24.5 - 25.0 MPG per tank, running on Shell 93 octane. I drive 80%+ freeway at about 75 MPH.

3 - This generates a lot of discussion. Many folks want at least nav, backup camera, bluetooth, and Mark Levinson which are all part of the Modern Luxury package and above. (Premium and base don't have these.) Custom Luxury adds more and nicer leather, suede headliner, laminated side windows, power door closers, etc. Ultra Luxury adds the air suspension and back seat amenities. I targeted the rather rare CL level.

4 - If you see a dropped LS430 it has either a drop kit or an aftermarket controller for the UL air suspension.

I considered a lot of used luxury sedans and decided on the LS430 to best meet our daily driver needs. Good luck in your search.

Great info...thank you!

Edwin
Old 11-10-10, 11:34 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that you have made a fine choice! I moved to an LS from a BMW 328 a few months ago and absolutely love it! If you are a taller guy (like me at 6 ft), you will appreciate the huge amount of room you have inside. The LS is the best sort of DD IMO since you can use the car to it's full potential all the time. To answer some of your questions:

1) I picked up an 04 (albeit one of the later ones made) with only 25k mi (now has 27k) and have had no electrical or mechanical issues at all. I don't attribute this to just low miles, it feels like the car will continue to be consistently good for the next many years I plan to drive it.

2) I probably net 16 mpg city, 24-25 highway. I spend half the time driving in local areas and the other half on highways.

3) This depends on what you define as 'must have'. Some ppl on here prefer a simpler dash layout and like fewer electronics (less to go wrong in the long run) and prefer the premium trim. Others (like myself) like the added convenience that nav brings. I personally have the modern lux package and love it. It adds nav, which comes with bluetooth and backup camera. Also, the screen pretty much integrates other functions, such as radio (though there are separate hard buttons) and climate (again, separate buttons near the dash). I love the touchscreen and find the entire setup very easy to use. Keep in mind that the system is pretty outdated by now, and you will see much higher screen resolutions for the newer cars with nav. However, I still like the system a lot. Drive a few cars with and without to see if you want the feature. The rest of the stuff (take a look at the UL package) sounds pretty cool as well so be sure to check all of it out. Try to FAQ section here or google LS430 and look on Lexus' website for all the features.

4) Idk, don't plan on having a drop. Think the car looks perfect as is. There really isn't that notable of a wheel gap on this car (compared to a lot of others I see).

I did drive an 08 GS350 recently. It is very similar to the LS430 in terms of equipment. It does have a much prettier nav screen. With that being said, I don't think the GS was anywhere as refined to drive as the LS. I could feel the engine shuddering quite a bit through the pedals and the steering wheel. On the other hand, I can never feel the engine in the LS. In fact, once it warms up after a minute (on really cold starts) I can't even hear it anymore. It is definitely one of the best engine/trans combos I have ever experienced. The GS is definitely more sporty. The ride is firmer so there is a lot less body roll, but it was pretty rough over sharp bumps. The GS slammed over big potholes and there was a ton of creaks and rattles inside (quite disappointing as I really did like the look of it). The LS does a much better job at absorbing the bumps and has no squeaks or rattles while doing it. While the GS is pretty sporty, it doesn't have the same level of handling as the BMW 5 series (I drove a 535i for a week). The 5 feels much more composed over the rough roads and the steering feel (another thing that let the GS down for me) was much much better on the 5 as well. The GS had steering that was much too light and vague to really put on a sport sedan. In the end, if you're looking for all out luxury for your daily drives (which makes the most sense IMO since you have to stick to low speed limits anyways) the LS430 is an excellent choice and one of the best out there. If you're looking for a sportier daily commute, then perhaps check out the BMW 5 series. I know this is a Lexus forum, but the GS just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Last edited by CarGuy89; 11-10-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-10-10, 11:46 AM
m32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I think that you have made a fine choice! I moved to an LS from a BMW 328 a few months ago and absolutely love it! If you are a taller guy (like me at 6 ft), you will appreciate the huge amount of room you have inside. The LS is the best sort of DD IMO since you can use the car to it's full potential all the time. To answer some of your questions:

1) I picked up an 04 (albeit one of the later ones made) with only 25k mi (now has 27k) and have had no electrical or mechanical issues at all. I don't attribute this to just low miles, it feels like the car will continue to be consistently good for the next many years I plan to drive it.

2) I probably net 16 mpg city, 24-25 highway. I spend half the time driving in local areas and the other half on highways.

3) This depends on what you define as 'must have'. Some ppl on here prefer a simpler dash layout and like fewer electronics (less to go wrong in the long run) and prefer the premium trim. Others (like myself) like the added convenience that nav brings. I personally have the modern lux package and love it. It adds nav, which comes with bluetooth and backup camera. Also, the screen pretty much integrates other functions, such as radio (though there are separate hard buttons) and climate (again, separate buttons near the dash). I love the touchscreen and find the entire setup very easy to use. Keep in mind that the system is pretty outdated by now, and you will see much higher screen resolutions for the newer cars with nav. However, I still like the system a lot. Drive a few cars with and without to see if you want the feature. The rest of the stuff (take a look at the UL package) sounds pretty cool as well so be sure to check all of it out. Try to FAQ section here or google LS430 and look on Lexus' website for all the features.

4) Idk, don't plan on having a drop. Think the car looks perfect as is. There really isn't that notable of a wheel gap on this car (compared to a lot of others I see).

I did drive an 08 GS350 recently. It is very similar to the LS430 in terms of equipment. It does have a much prettier nav screen. With that being said, I don't think the GS was anywhere as refined to drive as the LS. I could feel the engine shuddering quite a bit through the pedals and the steering wheel. On the other hand, I can never feel the engine in the LS. In fact, once it warms up after a minute (on really cold starts) I can't even hear it anymore. It is definitely one of the best engine/trans combos I have ever experienced. The GS is definitely more sporty. The ride is firmer so there is a lot less body roll, but it was pretty rough over sharp bumps. The GS slammed over big potholes and there was a ton of creaks and rattles inside (quite disappointing as I really did like the look of it). The LS does a much better job at absorbing the bumps and has no squeaks or rattles while doing it. While the GS is pretty sporty, it doesn't have the same level of handling as the BMW 5 series (I drove a 535i for a week). The 5 feels much more composed over the rough roads and the steering feel (another thing that let the GS down for me) was much much better on the 5 as well. The GS had steering that was much too light and vague to really put on a sport sedan. In the end, if you're looking for all out luxury for your daily drives (which makes the most sense IMO since you have to stick to low speed limits anyways) the LS430 is an excellent choice and one of the best out there. If you're looking for a sportier daily commute, then perhaps check out the BMW 5 series. I know this is a Lexus forum, but the GS just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.
Thank you for such an detailed answer! I'm confused on the mpg... on my lexus GS3, I did a one-day road trip from houston to dallas (about a nine hour drive). AC on... and didn't get better than 23 mpg. With mixed driving, I get about 20.5 mpg. How is it that a v8 LS would get better mpg highway?

Edwin
Old 11-10-10, 11:50 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by m32
How reliable is the 04 LS430? Is the first year more prone to issues than say an 05+?
The LS430 came out in 2001. So, technically, 90% of the car has remained the same until the end in 2006. If you're looking for the '04, i would imagine few problems. Check out the TSB data for the 2004. A few things became common problems with that year, but most-likely they have already been resolved by the previous owner.

Cheers.
Old 11-10-10, 11:57 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Well, to be honest my figures probably aren't that accurate. When I first got the car, I played around with the mpg readout and it said 23-25 while I was cruising along on the highway. According to the comp, I get 17-20-ish mpg per tank (though I am usually pretty light with the throttle). I really never calculated the actual mpg. might do that on fillup next time and report the numbers. I am a student at Mich State so a lot of the local driving involves stop and go traffic at 25-35mph around campus (plus all the ppl randomly crossing that requires stops). I probably say 15-16 mpg is what I would expect to avg on a normal drive in the area. If I were to go home (1 hr highway drive) I would probably hit 24-ish mpg holding a steady speed of 75-80.

Side question: Do you have a GS2 or 3? In your first post, you said GS2, but in the one above you said GS3. In all fairness of my review above, I think the GS3 may have been poorly maintained (or a badly made one). I apologize if I offended you and you own a GS3. All comments made were strictly meant to be constructive and are just my opinions.
Old 11-10-10, 11:58 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The two issues I was concerned with on 04s were the auto transmission TSB (new six speed auto) and the fuel filler TSB (automatic nozzles continuously click off). Most all cars had the transmission TSB done. Only some cars seem to have had the fuel filler TSB done. Then again, many cars didn't have fuel filling problems.

As for MPG, YMMMV. It seems most owners report MPG readings a bit lower than what I get because I drive mostly all highway and I'm an old fart.
Old 11-10-10, 12:00 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DDLexus
The LS430 came out in 2001. So, technically, 90% of the car has remained the same until the end in 2006. If you're looking for the '04, i would imagine few problems. Check out the TSB data for the 2004. A few things became common problems with that year, but most-likely they have already been resolved by the previous owner.

Cheers.
Yeah 2 things I heard about was a trans shifting issue at low speeds (the 04+ got a new 6 spd auto vs the 5 spd in the 01-03s) and a fuel filler issue (clicks the gas pump before tank is actually full). I have experienced the filler issue once or twice so far, but it is bypassed if you gently feed the gas in so not really a big deal.
Old 11-10-10, 12:01 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

The two issues I was concerned with on 04s were the auto transmission TSB (new six speed auto) and the fuel filler TSB (automatic nozzles continuously click off). Most all cars had the transmission TSB done. Only some cars seem to have had the fuel filler TSB done. Then again, many cars didn't have fuel filling problems.

As for MPG, YMMMV. It seems most owners report MPG readings a bit lower than what I get because I drive mostly all highway and I'm an old fart.
Lol great minds think alike right? Same posts within 2 mins of ea other.
Old 11-10-10, 12:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus

Cheers.
The biggest thing with the 04' LS is the tranny, that is the very 1st Lexus that have a 6-speeds tranny, and they had a TSB/recall on it, along with the fuel pump I think. Yeah all the cars have been fixed now, but I always think after the dealer swapped out the tranny, it is not as nice put back together as if the factory did it. That's why I got a 05', you tend to hear less problem with the 05'/06'. Last year production is always best. I would prefer a 06' myself, but 06' white/Ecru UL almost doesn't exist or never for sale.
Old 11-10-10, 12:05 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

It seems most owners report MPG readings a bit lower than what I get because I drive mostly all highway and I'm an old fart.
Age has nothing to do with it, I am 21 and I get the same results...though my mom has told me I drive too slowly at times I am very slow and careful in traffic, but also enjoy to let the V8 loose every now and then on an empty stretch of road
Old 11-10-10, 12:05 PM
m32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Well, to be honest my figures probably aren't that accurate. When I first got the car, I played around with the mpg readout and it said 23-25 while I was cruising along on the highway. According to the comp, I get 17-20-ish mpg per tank (though I am usually pretty light with the throttle). I really never calculated the actual mpg. might do that on fillup next time and report the numbers. I am a student at Mich State so a lot of the local driving involves stop and go traffic at 25-35mph around campus (plus all the ppl randomly crossing that requires stops). I probably say 15-16 mpg is what I would expect to avg on a normal drive in the area. If I were to go home (1 hr highway drive) I would probably hit 24-ish mpg holding a steady speed of 75-80.

Side question: Do you have a GS2 or 3? In your first post, you said GS2, but in the one above you said GS3. In all fairness of my review above, I think the GS3 may have been poorly maintained (or a badly made one). I apologize if I offended you and you own a GS3. All comments made were strictly meant to be constructive and are just my opinions.
Appreciate the insight. I had a 2nd gen Gs300 and was looking at getting a 3rd Gen GS3 but started to look at the LS as well.
Old 11-10-10, 12:33 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Check this link out. Gives a helpful look at what options/packages were available for this car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3213359-post8.html
Old 11-10-10, 01:49 PM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m32
Thank you for such an detailed answer! I'm confused on the mpg... on my lexus GS3, I did a one-day road trip from houston to dallas (about a nine hour drive). AC on... and didn't get better than 23 mpg. With mixed driving, I get about 20.5 mpg. How is it that a v8 LS would get better mpg highway?

Edwin
Part of the answer is the low drag coefficient on the LS 430, especially with the air suspension. I believe it's 0.26 without air suspension and 0.25 with it. Also, this car coasts so well that once you get it to speed it becomes extremely efficient. We average about 21 mpg in daily driving (70/30 highway-city split) but have gotten up to 28 mpg in pure highway driving at 70-75 mph. Better mileage than many 6 cylinder cars get.

Quick Reply: 2004+ LS430 as a DD?