LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My husband screwed up and I'm afraid we are going to have to pay. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 08:28 PM
Kwolff123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My husband screwed up and I'm afraid we are going to have to pay. HELP!

So my husband jumped our 2004 ls430 with the cables backward on the vehicle he was using to jump with. He did correct it and the car started, but...

Now the navigation, a/c, radio will not come on.
The check engine light is on, and the vsc light is on too
And to top it off, it appears to be in "limp mode" (term I found online), meaning it will not rev when the gas pedal is pushed.

I felt certain that it was just fuses, but he used the manual and checked several with a volt meter and they seem fine.

Any other ideas before I go give all my money to the dealership?
Old 10-17-11, 08:36 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for half an hour. This should reset the computer in the car.
Old 10-17-11, 08:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Ouch - if its electrical it is probably best to take it in and ask Lexus to diagnose the problem. Once they tell you exactly what is wrong you can decide to let them fix it, or take it somewhere else. Unlike 30 years ago - jumping a car battery is a pretty risky deal these days - lots of complicated and expensive electronics that does not like to be zapped or shorted.

I personally will not jump someone's dead car unless it is a very serious emergency because years ago I gave a stranger in a parking lot a jump start on his beat up car and ended up with my alternator fried, and a $200 repair bill.
Old 10-17-11, 08:50 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for half an hour. This should reset the computer in the car.
Yes, and I would add to that to try a different battery after leaving it disconnected.
Old 10-17-11, 08:59 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

i would actually pull out the fuses to check to see if it's blown.. some fuses can still test out even though they are blown. it's rare but i've seen it happen before.
Old 10-17-11, 09:50 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Try resetting the ECU first. I'm not sure how to do it in OBDII cars though. Might need an OBDII reader for that.
Old 10-17-11, 10:02 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This has pretty much already been iterated above, but check the fuses thoroughly and then leave the negative battery terminal disconnected for at LEAST a good 30 minutes. For maximum effectiveness, I concur with the statement above that reconnecting the old battery leaves possible open problems because it may be too low to effectively power the electronics if it already died once. The best thing to do is hook up a brand new battery after leaving everything disconnected for a half hour. This eliminates any and all fault with the battery itself.

If this simple diagnostic procedure does not solve any or all of the issue, it is time to head to the dealership. Keep in mind that reversing the polarity itself might not have caused the damage, but even just a regular old jump can deliver over-voltage in some scenarios hurting computers and other sensitive electrical parts. I still believe this is rare, but it can happen.
Old 10-18-11, 02:53 AM
DNC
Advanced

I am not familiar with your states insurance laws and policies but I wonder if you might have some sort of coverage for this mistake. If it turns out to be an expensive mistake (hopefully not) you might want to check your policies, all policies. I have heard of crazier things being covered under homeowner liability policies.
Old 10-18-11, 12:30 PM
Celsior21
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am almost certain that the fuses may be blown. Check the fuse box.
Old 10-18-11, 01:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. Sorry to read of this incident. Simple items to check as others have posted:

The systems are pretty robust so the fuses will be the first to go to protect the electronics. Outside of that, disconnecting the neg battery cable to reset the ECU's would be the next choice. Depending what is in memory, you may lose various stored trip data, radio presets, seat presets, etc.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 10-18-11, 05:51 PM
Kwolff123
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the advice. We are going to get a new battery either tonight or in the morning, so I'll keep you guys updated with how things turn out.
Old 10-19-11, 05:55 AM
Sweetdaddy
Driver School Candidate

How did this turnout with the new battery?
Old 10-19-11, 07:14 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this happen in my IS a few years back, I had to get a jump and the tow truck guy had the positive and negative reversed from each other, got the car working again but at the same time blew a lot of the fuses in the car. I took it to the Lexus Dealership and they got it all squared away, hopefully it will be the same for you.

Good Luck
Old 10-19-11, 10:40 AM
Kwolff123
Driver School Candidate

Battery did not work, so it looks like we are going to the dealership!
Old 10-19-11, 12:52 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kwolff123
Battery did not work, so it looks like we are going to the dealership!
Sorry to hear that. Please post results when you find out the issue. I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say we would like to know the outcome.

Quick Reply: My husband screwed up and I'm afraid we are going to have to pay. HELP!