LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 10:47 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fobs

Lexus 460 pictures show 2 different key fobs: a normal looking one with buttons on it and a thingie on it to connect it to your key ring, and a "credit card" looking device supposedly to go in your wallet.

Check pictures at: http://www.allcarwallpapers.com/lexu...wallpapers.htm

I wonder:

1) Will you be provided with both, or do you have a choice, or one of each?
2) Is one for the 460 and the other for the hybrid? Or one for the short wheel base, the other for the long?
3) Does the credit card one have buttons on it, on the other side from the side shown in the picture?
4) How come the credit card one doesn't have something to connect it to your key ring? Cuz its supposed to go in your wallet, I guess... But a choice would have been nice.
5) Would the credit card one have a physical key in it, in case batteries are dead? (The other one shows a button for separating the key; the credit card one didn't show it.)
6) I don't see that either fob actually gets inserted in the car. That means the batteries in them must get replaced instead of getting recharged. Bummer.

(Nothing better to do than sit around wondering. LOL)
Old 05-06-06, 11:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not sure about all the others, i will let ryan elaborate

but for 6), even for the keyfobs now, it's just a battery inside that you replace
Old 05-06-06, 09:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My impressions...

I believe the credid-card-key is exclusive for the 600h. I'm pretty sure you can buy it and change it for any of the new Lexus sedans.

It should have typical buttons: lock, unlock, trunk.

No key ring, as it is meant to stay in a wallet (I think this key will be too fragile for a keychain).

I doubt that there will be a key "hidden" in the car, but I've seen spare/emergency plastic keys that skinny.

There will be a small battery inside the card.
Old 05-07-06, 12:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I will have to check with my sources on that actual key.

This is only my theory....there should be that flat one as depicted and the regular Smart Key fob w/the removeable key blade to manually unlock the doors/trunk for the New LS. As a matter of fact,. you actually don't need battery power to turn the ignition on in the car.

Now, for those of us current Lexus owners with the temp wallet key. All you have is a transponder in the black plastic card and the key blade to manually open the door or turn on the ignition. In order for you to start the car if your keyfob battery is dead or you somehow lost it, the car must find that key transponder in order for it to turn over. Hence you put the black plastic card near the ignition when you start it up. I hope that makes sense.
Old 05-07-06, 05:13 PM
h2o_247
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails Key Fobs-2491.jpg  
Old 05-15-06, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Until Ryan can confirm, this is my understanding:
There's a small physical key (on left side) that is detachable from the remote unit to unlock the doors physically (should all batteries die )

The card is a keyless go card, just like MB. Have it with you and you can open the door and start the engine.

The one that h2o posted is a physical key (for wallet) that you can unlock the doors and start the engine when you bring the card close to the ignition (as a back up since you don't want to carry this card around with you). It has the built-in transponder, but no buttons or battery inside.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 05-15-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 11:26 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

GS3, which one(s) do you get upon delivery of the 460--one or both?
Old 05-15-06, 03:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
Sorry ex-lexic, I'm not the person with any credible source. I'm only answering your question based on my ASSumption (noticed that I capitalize *** b/c that's what I'll be if I'm wrong ) that it is somewhat like the Mercedes S class.
You get the 2 remote master key with the small key built-in and the card ( if you have the keyless go-a $1000 Mercedes option).
For my 05 GX, I have 2 master remote key, a valet key, and the wallet/black card key. That black card key/wallet is like what h20 posted earlier.

MOst definite that you will get the 2 master remote and the key card if you chose to get that option.
Old 05-15-06, 07:18 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

GS3, thanks for your help. I meant NOthing negative in my questions. Thanks for shedding light.
Old 01-02-07, 10:10 AM
FSI
Driver School Candidate

Is there any place to purchase a new keyfob that is lost other then the dealership, i contacted them and their charging 375.00
Old 01-02-07, 12:33 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
I got 2 remotes and NO credit card key. When I asked my sales rep I was told that card key is not available for ls460.
Old 01-02-07, 02:49 PM
Car Nut
Driver

For the Canadian market, with some packages the wallet card key was standard.

It can only be used to operate:
-the smart access system i.e. open and close the doors and trunk
-and use the push button start function
There are no buttons on it to use the wireless remote functions.

It has a thin mechanical key inside to be used in emergencies to open the doors etc. The mechanical key cannot start the car.

Lexus recommends that you use the mechanical key in the regular remote control. For example, locking the glove box and the trunk release during valet parking (if one is brave enough for this!). You keep the mechanical key and give the rest if the remote key to the parking attendant.

The card key fits nicely in the wallet but I use the regular remote key. Because if I misplace my wallet, I will be really stuck!
Old 01-03-07, 08:37 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dimapb
I got 2 remotes and NO credit card key. When I asked my sales rep I was told that card key is not available for ls460.
Me to - They said the cc was for the 600h
Old 01-03-07, 11:15 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSI
Is there any place to purchase a new keyfob that is lost other then the dealership, i contacted them and their charging 375.00
Yup it's expensive, I think you might do a search on Google or Ebay for Lexus key fobs, the LS is very new but I think there might be some unprogrammed GS/IS/ES key fobs out there, which should work the same if I'm not mistaken. Good luck to you!
Old 01-05-07, 11:16 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

correct, no credit card key for the LS460, just the 2 master key fobs

Quick Reply: Key Fobs