LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Hold Feature Reviews ( Tell us whether you like the feature or not and why ?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 04:46 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS 460 Hold Feature Reviews ( Tell us whether you like the feature or not and why ?)

I hope everyone joins this thread and tells us whether they like the hold feature or not and why ?

So I'll start.

Actually I've used the feature in crowdy places where you have to use the brakes every 1- 5 seconds and waiting for the trafic lights. I find the advantage when waiting for trafic lights ( you use it one time ). On the other hand in crowdy places it makes the car looks as it have a manual gear shift installed . When the car comes at rest brake lights are "off" up to when the petrol peddal is used.Its kinda annoying if your waiting for 1-5 seconds; more work is applied. Holding the brakes till the car is at rest then using the petrol peddal repeatedly( in my opinion Its better to use the brakes rather than the feature in such places ). So its sometimes good and sometimes it not.
Old 09-14-07, 05:28 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uae
... When the car comes at rest brake lights are "off" up to when the petrol peddal is used.Its kinda annoying if your waiting for 1-5 seconds; more work is applied ...
Originally Posted by uae
... Holding the brakes till the car is at rest then using the petrol peddal repeatedly( in my opinion Its better to use the brakes rather than the feature in such places ) ...
I don't understand your two statement above.

I use it when I remember it.

Even when I remember to set it on, I sometimes forget it and keep my foot on the brake needlessly.

Other than that I do like it and would like it even more in heavy stop and go traffic.

The only negative is that you must press the accelerator more than usual to start off and then there's a slight surge when the brake releases.

HBH
Old 09-14-07, 05:37 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only negative is that you must press the accelerator more than usual to start off and then there's a slight surge when the brake releases.
I had noticed this as well. However, I found that using an extremely light touch on the accelerator and upping the force in very small increments appears to contribute to a much smoother transition, minimizing that "surge".
Old 09-14-07, 05:46 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helmar
I don't understand your two statement above.

I use it when I remember it.

Even when I remember to set it on, I sometimes forget it and keep my foot on the brake needlessly.

Other than that I do like it and would like it even more in heavy stop and go traffic.

HBH
Regarding the first statement what i meant
When the car comes at rest brake lights are "off": is it makes the person behind you think that your car has a manual gear installed or makes him think youve set the gear to "N" and back again to "D" withouth the need of using brakes.

Its kinda annoying if your waiting for 1-5 seconds; more work is applied: Imagine your car has to stop every 3 seconds and the hold feature is on. so its not just removing your foot from the brake its also applying a lil force on the accelerator (every 3 seconds or so ).

Regarding the 2nd statement:

Holding the brakes till the car is at rest then using the petrol peddal repeatedly( in my opinion Its better to use the brakes rather than the feature in ......Imagine your car has to stop every 3 seconds and the hold feature is on. so its not just removing your foot from the brake its also applying a lil force on the accelerator (every 3 seconds or so ).

.....Such places: places where you use the hold feature every 3 seconds.
Old 09-14-07, 06:25 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uae
Regarding the first statement what i meant
When the car comes at rest brake lights are "off":
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.

I was wondering if the brake lights were on while the car was being held by the brake hold feature.

This is indeed an important lacking by Lexus. Whenever the brakes are applied, whether by the brake hold feature, by the radar cruise control, or by the operator, the brake lights should always be on to alert the driver behind.

HBH
Old 09-14-07, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

helmar, i believe the surge you talking about maybe the tranny "issue"? i don't know if that's also the case on 600hl. on the ls460, like dmvp29 said, if you touch the gas lightly and then gradually increase, it's no problem

in fact, even without the brake hold, if you release the brakes and then immediately press on the gas, you will get a surge too (at least on ls460). that's the tranny hesitation "problem" some have noticed here

btw, i have never seen it, but question. when you are using brake hold, once you release your brake pedal (and the car basically hold the brake pedal for you), the brake lights are off in the rear? that doesn't sound right
Old 09-14-07, 11:05 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
helmar, i believe the surge you talking about maybe the tranny "issue"? i don't know if that's also the case on 600hl. on the ls460, like dmvp29 said, if you touch the gas lightly and then gradually increase, it's no problem

in fact, even without the brake hold, if you release the brakes and then immediately press on the gas, you will get a surge too (at least on ls460). that's the tranny hesitation "problem" some have noticed here

btw, i have never seen it, but question. when you are using brake hold, once you release your brake pedal (and the car basically hold the brake pedal for you), the brake lights are off in the rear? that doesn't sound right
I'll check today in a few mins just before i take my car for a wash and confirm.
Old 09-14-07, 11:25 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

The CVT has been absolutely flawless. It's one of the high points of the LS600hL. The downshift hesitation I experienced in both of my previous LS's is completely absent. No matter how fast I'm going, and/or how much I press the accelerator, the transmission performs exactly as expected, including from a standing start.

What this feels like is probably exactly what it's supposed to feel like. The brake is holding until some pre-set threshold of forward engine pressure, and then releases, causing the small surge. Maybe surge is the wrong word. It's like any kinetic energy (albeit a small amount) that's stored up and then suddenly released.

It's not really a problem, just a ghost of an annoyance.

HBH
Old 09-14-07, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah gotcha, then i guess the 600hl is much better in that case over the 460
Old 09-14-07, 01:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the chance to try the hold feature at ToL and it was very nice. Also they left the automatic parking brake on.
Old 09-14-07, 03:14 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've tried it many times, but I'm just not loving it yet. I suppose if I was slow-footed, I might appreciate it more. Even on steep hills, my foot is fast enough so any rollback is negligible. If you've driven standard a lot in the past, your foot is more nimble and quick than otherwise. Further, there's a confidence factor lost if you depend too much on it, or use it constantly. By that I mean, after an extended period using it, it would be eerie going back to the conventional method, and you could cause the car to drift forward if you subconsciously release the brake at a traffic light. Scary thought!
Old 09-14-07, 03:22 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it, I just wish I could use it without the seatbelt on.
Old 09-14-07, 07:43 PM
ccds
Driver

I tried it and I like it....

nice touch after you get used to making it work smoothly

Old 09-14-07, 08:21 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

helmar, i believe the surge you talking about maybe the tranny "issue"?
Romin, from my experience before the transmission update, the hesitation/surge isn't present when using the brake hold feature as the torque converter doesn't disengage when the brake hold is on. This is consistent with my experience. The TSB completely eliminates this problem.
Old 09-15-07, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dsc07
Romin, from my experience before the transmission update, the hesitation/surge isn't present when using the brake hold feature as the torque converter doesn't disengage when the brake hold is on. This is consistent with my experience. The TSB completely eliminates this problem.
yes, i agree. with the brake hold i don't feel much of the tranny hesitation. i feel that it's mainly the case when physically go from brake to gas. i thought it was my illusion, but guess that's indeed the case

also, uae, i proved it already. when using brake old, even if you release the brake pesal, the rear brake lights are still on

Quick Reply: LS 460 Hold Feature Reviews ( Tell us whether you like the feature or not and why ?)