LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Some info about upcoming 2010 model

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 01:27 AM
OligarhNah
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some info about upcoming 2010 model

Guys,

I had a meeting with TOYOTA Japan guys and got some info about 2010 LS.

Well, the biggets dissapointment to me that we will see slightly different LS in 2010 model year. Changes are following:

- slightly different exterior
- slightly different and more luxury interior
- totally new anti-scratch paint (best on the market)

And especially for japanese market only - CUSTOM INTERIORS/EXTERIORS! Like and BMW Individual/Mercedes Designo!!! If this program will work fine, they will offer it on the biggest markets around the world - USA in Americas and Russia in Europe.

I think, my next LS will be NEW body LS so this custom programm sounds good for me. I'm gonna get Pearl White with real WHITE leather and black carbon interior ))
Old 07-13-09, 07:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by OligarhNah
That's the thing I wish I can have, thanks !!
Old 07-13-09, 11:38 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe the word "swirl" should be substituted for "scratch" above - more realistic. I'm sure paint manufacturers have been searching for the Holy Grail (harder clearcoats) ever since they were legislated to produce softer water-based clearcoats, which have been the bane of car owners since.

Other than that innovation, the key operative word is "slightly".

Andrew, I'm going to attack my swirls with a ROB shortly; I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-13-09, 11:58 AM
srajat
Driver School Candidate

The 2010 model will also come with the smart beam. No need to switch between high beam and low beam manually.

The smart beam automatically does it for you, theoritically the car will always be in high beam, untill it sees oncoming traffic, or the tail lights of the vehicle ahead of you or if it is foggy.

Another lazy man's favourite feature!
Old 07-13-09, 12:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OligarhNah
- slightly different exterior
- slightly different and more luxury interior

And especially for japanese market only - CUSTOM INTERIORS/EXTERIORS! Like and BMW Individual/Mercedes Designo!!! If this program will work fine, they will offer it on the biggest markets around the world - USA in Americas and Russia in Europe.

I think, my next LS will be NEW body LS so this custom programm sounds good for me. I'm gonna get Pearl White with real WHITE leather and black carbon interior ))
The customization program sounds very interesting! As discussed in this thread, Lexus Japan already has a lot of customization options, it will be interesting to see how they take that to another level with the LS.

Originally Posted by srajat
The 2010 model will also come with the smart beam. No need to switch between high beam and low beam manually.

The smart beam automatically does it for you, theoritically the car will always be in high beam, untill it sees oncoming traffic, or the tail lights of the vehicle ahead of you or if it is foggy.

Another lazy man's favourite feature!
Sounds like some of the new 3RX tech is making it into the LS. Can't let the crossover have all the gadgets!
Old 07-13-09, 12:50 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The scratch-repairing paint was first debuted by Nissan. It is claimed it will actually "heal" itself if it is scratched.

I've seen video demonstrations of this (can't recall where now), and it is sorta like magic. Takes maybe 10-12 hours, but actual scratches disappeared as the molecules in the paint migrated back into the scratched area and filled it.

Obviously there are limits to the size scratch it can self-repair, but they suggest even a "keyed" car can fix itself overnight.

Old 07-13-09, 02:25 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It's probably just some sort of ceramic addition
That's what Mercedes switched to a few years back so now on the door pillars you'll see 040C rather than 040 (black+ceramic vs black)
Old 07-13-09, 03:42 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The scratch-repairing paint was first debuted by Nissan. It is claimed it will actually "heal" itself if it is scratched.

I've seen video demonstrations of this (can't recall where now), and it is sorta like magic. Takes maybe 10-12 hours, but actual scratches disappeared as the molecules in the paint migrated back into the scratched area and filled it.

Obviously there are limits to the size scratch it can self-repair, but they suggest even a "keyed" car can fix itself overnight.

I think MB have them on at least some models too ? ...
Old 07-13-09, 06:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Personally, I'm waiting for the self-repairing dent feature for my wife's next car!
Old 07-14-09, 07:41 AM
OligarhNah
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Personally, I'm waiting for the self-repairing dent feature for my wife's next car!
+1, man!
Old 07-14-09, 08:40 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think they should market it to the people that make bathroom stall doors and walls.

Video Demonstration:
http://brightcove.newscientist.com/s...id=16378616001

Source:

http://www.jimonlight.com/tags/self-healing-paint/

1st article:

The polyurethane coating is being developed by researchers at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg.
"We developed a polymeric material that is able to repair itself by exposure to the sun", said researcher Marek Urban.
The coating contains "chitosan", described as a substance found in the shells of crabs and shrimp, that is combined with traditional polymer materials.
When the surface is scratched the chitosan responds to ultraviolet light by forming chemical chains that begin bonding with other materials in the substance, eventually smoothing the scratch.
The process can take less than an hour but will not work in the same spot twice, meaning that you might want to hang on to your T-Cut for now.

2nd Article:
Self-healing car paint uses sunlight to repair scrapes......
(read more)
http://www.gizmag.com/self-healing-car-paint/11254/

Old 07-14-09, 09:54 AM
Jimbo5
Driver School Candidate

it's impossible to get hard paints anymore with increasing environmental regulations, especially from Japan vehicles. that's why Nissan created a self-healing clearcoat which melts to heals fine scratches. It first appeared on the EX and came out on the 2009 G37's.

Glad to see another manufacturer adopting the technology.
Old 07-14-09, 12:21 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never heard of this self-healing paint before but it sounds awesome.