LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bluetooth Link Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 07:53 AM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth Link Problems

I have a new 2010 with intermittent connectivity problems. It's not the phone as I had an 08 for the past year without any problems. Brought it to the dealer and they said " you'll have to keep going into the system to relink that this happens and nothing can be done." Anyone else with this ?
Old 03-12-11, 09:09 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that would be false, you dont have to relink it each time. Its obviously not retaining the set up when you do link. If you have another dealer close by I would try them or ask the service manager for assistance, I linked my Iphone4 over a year ago and even with firmware updates, to both the phone and the Nav its retained its settings, hard to believe they would even suggest that was acceptable.
Old 03-12-11, 11:04 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the best way to test this? AFS button is turned on. Thanks
Old 03-12-11, 12:07 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paired my 2011 LS460 AWD with my iPod touch and iPad. It automatically links to the last one used. In fact, to my surprise, it links to the iPod with the car in the driveway and the iPod in the house!

Originally Posted by randomwalk
What's the best way to test this? AFS button is turned on. Thanks
Isn't AFS the adaptive front lighting system? What does this have to do with Bluetooth?
Old 03-13-11, 09:28 AM
socallex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently been struggling with my Bluetooth staying connected on my 08. Being that is sporadic when it kicks off my they haven't been able to find the problem. It may be a coincidence but it was working fine and then I blew my Amp and after the repair it began being temperamental. I was using a BB Storm decided to switch to iPhone and I'm still experiencing it turning off after an hour of working fine.
It's a hassle because if I'm on the freeway i can't reconnect without coming to a stop. It is helping me rationalize installing a PS override system!
Old 03-13-11, 11:40 AM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

You need to tell us a little more about how you connect. Do you just walk up to your car, get in, start the engine, and you are connected? And when you lose your connection, what do you do to reestablish a connection. Is your phone's "visibility" hidden?
Old 03-14-11, 06:26 AM
socallex
Driver School Candidate

It auto connects when I start the car. To be candid I can't be positive when I already have the car started.
It will be working fine for an hour plus then it just disconnects. I have had success with being able to come to a stop and hit reconnect but at times I need to turn the car off. I have tried turning the phone off but it doesn't work. I'm not sure what you mean by "phone visibility"

Thanks
Old 03-14-11, 07:03 AM
jmcraney

Well, several things come to mind. The first thing I would consider is the phone's battery. Although it may have worked satisfactorily for a long time that is an item that has a finite life. The best way to rule it out is to see if the abnormality occurs when the phone is connected to your car charger. The next thing to consider is some source of Radio Frequency Interference. Bluetooth operates at the same frequency as WiFi and could be overwhelmed by some other device operated in close proximity.

Bluetooth visibility is a way for your phone to let others see that it is on. Many phones allow you to turn that feature off - it helps conserve the battery. Turnig the visibility off does not interfere with the Auto-Connect.
Old 03-15-11, 04:26 PM
socallex
Driver School Candidate

Interesting...I keep the phone plugged in while driving so that eliminates the phone battery, but i will try turning the WiFi off while in the car. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-15-11, 07:15 PM
jmcraney

Your description sounds like classic RFI. If avoiding WiFi does't solve the problem then think about something else that you might be using.

Here is a caution that is commonly used regarding Bluetooth use. This says it better than I did.

Caution
Bluetooth(TM) and Wireless LAN devices operate within the same radio frequency range and may interfere with one another. If you use Bluetooth and Wireless LAN devices simultaneously, you may occasionally expirience a less than optimal network performance or even lose your network connection. In this case, always cease either your Bluetooth(TM) or Wireless LAN operation.
End quote

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-15-11 at 07:18 PM.