LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire recomendation. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 08:42 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tire recomendation. HELP

I just put a deposit on a CPO, 2009 LS460 SWB with 41000 miles on it tonight. On test drive it had tire noise. Tires are Goodyear Eagle GT's and front tires have some scalping or chopping on outboard edge.

I left it for dealer to put new tires on it in the AM before I would accept it.

Most CPO LS's I've seen and driven this week had Goodrich Potenzas on them. New LS in showroom had Dunlops. I told them to put the quietest tires they have on it.

The dealer is calling me in the AM letting me know what tires they have.

Any recomendations of what to stay away from or what are good tries for the LS?

Jerry

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-05-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 09:42 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I put on a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S and I'm very happy with them. They are quiet and have a lot better ride than the Dunlop's that came on my car from the factory. The Dunlop tires were junk and I removed them at 12K.
Old 08-15-12, 11:49 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires--Pilot® MXM4® Luxury Performance Touring

I have the Michelin Pilot® MXM4® Luxury Performance Touring on my 2009 LS AWD and find them very quiet and smooth... a priority for me. However I do live in MO [like the last respondent] and use all weather tires.
I believe you are in Florida and may not need the same all weather qualities.
Good luck

Mike
Old 08-15-12, 12:18 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a set of Pirelli PZeros on my OEM wheels. I find them quiet enough.
Old 08-15-12, 01:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

al Im going to say is that I have had vibrations with the contis and Pirellis. I am never buying anything other than Michelin. They are the most expensive a lot of the time because they are of the highest quality and design
Old 08-15-12, 03:06 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Michelin!!!
Old 08-15-12, 07:06 PM
FLYCT

Cool

UPDATE:

First;
Let me thank everyone for recommendations. They were most helpful.

UGH! Went to pick up the car today. Service writer said they don't have any tires in stock but he was pricing them for the used car manager to see what he will approve to order. I had sales note they would replace all 4 tires with new on the delivery checklist.

The service writer said they most likely would be Goodrich Torenzas EM32 or Michelin Primacy. I told him my preference was the Michelins. I had to leave on a trip for rest of the week so I asked him to please just rotate the tires, I'lll take the car for now and I'll schedule a service visit for next week when I return.

After rotating, 80% of the tire noise was gone. We did 300 miles today and we like the LS ride and comfort.

I will still have the dealer swap out the Eagle GTs for new tires next week. The Goodyear Eagle GT tires have a very aggressive tread pattern and they are worn about 50%.

The Avalon Limited i traded for the LS had Continental ExtremeContact DWs and they are awful noisy. They had excellent wet surface grip but they started out slightly noisy and got much worse with time.

Jerry
Old 08-15-12, 07:17 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Help

Michelin tires are the way to go, but I would have them upgraded. The primacy is not the best of tthe michelin. I have been using Michelin top of the line tires on my 3 different Lexus vehicle. I had a GS, SC and presently has a new LS460AWD. I also own a new 4RUNNER and I sold the Bridgestones that came on it the day I got the vehicle and put on a set of LT MS2's. I have never worn out a set of Michelins. I have put over 75,000 miles on different sets of their top of the line tires and they still looked pretty good when I sold the vehicles. If they are not receptive to the upgrade throw in a few dollars to upgrade. It will be worth it. I have been using nothing but Michelins since the 70's.
Old 08-17-12, 01:21 PM
FLYCT

The dealer ordered Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires to be mounted Monday.

Interesting is that these are the same model OEM tires I had on my 08 Avalon that I removed due to noise at 28,000 miles and installed the noisier Continental DWs. The Avalon had BBS 18" wheels and low profile 245/45R18 tires.

We'll see how it goes.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 08-17-12 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 04:28 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
The dealer ordered Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires to be mounted Monday.

Interesting is that these are the same model OEM tires I had on my 08 Avalon that I removed due to noise at 28,000 miles and installed the noisier Continental DWs. The Avalon had BBS 18" wheels and low profile 245/45R18 tires.

We'll see how it goes.

JR
That is the OEM Michelin for LS460 vehicles with 18" wheels, and it is a very smooth-riding tire - I put a set on my original wheels a year ago.

Even better, I love the Michelin Primacy and have them on my OEM 19" wheels (summer shoes), but as of the last time I checked, the Primacy was not available in the proper size for the LS's 18" wheels. If that's still the case, you are getting the best you can get from Michelin. Congratulations on the car!

P.S. For the 352nd time, I cannot believe some of the things dealerships allow to slide during their CPO "inspections", but I digress... I'm glad you are getting new tires.
Old 08-17-12, 05:57 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

The MXM H4 is what is on my LS in "Z" profile. They came with "Touring Profile" and I asked them to swap them out and they did.
Old 08-18-12, 03:19 AM
LickSauce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
al Im going to say is that I have had vibrations with the contis and Pirellis. I am never buying anything other than Michelin. They are the most expensive a lot of the time because they are of the highest quality and design
I'm having vibration problems with OE BS Turanza ER33 tires between 60 - 75mph, waiting for Tire Rack to email me back a quotation and switch to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ASAP!

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am never buying anything other than Michelin. They are the most expensive a lot of the time because they are of the highest quality and design
Old 08-18-12, 04:00 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LickSauce
I'm having vibration problems with OE BS Turanza ER33 tires between 60 - 75mph, waiting for Tire Rack to email me back a quotation and switch to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ASAP!

FWIW... If you've had experience with the Pilot Sport Plus AS and like it, stop reading. Otherwise...

I originally bought Pilot Sport Plus AS for my LS under the same thinking that if they were Michelins, they had to be good. They were not: high road force (for the LS), loud, and they made the LS pull to the right badly. Other people I know have had the exact same issue. I then drove my car with borrowed OEM Michelins (HX MXM4) and it was like night and day.
Old 08-18-12, 07:59 AM
LickSauce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caha14
FWIW... If you've had experience with the Pilot Sport Plus AS and like it, stop reading. Otherwise...

I originally bought Pilot Sport Plus AS for my LS under the same thinking that if they were Michelins, they had to be good. They were not: high road force (for the LS), loud, and they made the LS pull to the right badly. Other people I know have had the exact same issue. I then drove my car with borrowed OEM Michelins (HX MXM4) and it was like night and day.
I'll give it a try, if I face the same problem then it's time to switch to BS Potenza S-04 Pole Position
Old 08-20-12, 05:57 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by mike171333
I have the Michelin Pilot® MXM4® Luxury Performance Touring on my 2009 LS AWD and find them very quiet and smooth... a priority for me"...........

Mike
Mike,

The Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires were installed today.
They are very quiet and smooth.

Jerry

Quick Reply: Tire recomendation. HELP