LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rock and a hard place.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 01:10 AM
Haole702
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock and a hard place.....

So last week I posted a thread " Am i covered" in which I recieved very useful info' from members and moderators alike; Thanks again!
It was in reference to my headlight going out a random times. So I decided to bring it to Lexus of Las Vegas after my service rep'/mgr advised the bulb was not under warrenty but the balast was if that was the case, however he was going to bat for me as I've only owned it a short time to see if they would cover the bulb replacement charge of $260.00. So I drop it off at 10:30 and @ 5:00 I get a call from my rep' explaining they needed the car overnight as they could not get the light to go out/off.
The folowing day at 12:00 my rep reaches me explaining they still could not get the light to go off, I had also told them to try driving around not just waiting in the service bay for it to happen. He continues that they tried that to no avail, however after topping off my fluids and checking my battery they noticed it had a low charge and explained that that might be the problem that the balast may not be getting enough juice to keep the light on. I told him the baterry was replaced in march and is still under warrenty and that I;d be down to drop off the loaner and pick up my LS.

Upon arrival my rep' advises that my warning lights are on, due to the battery issue and that when I replace the battery they should go off. So i go home and call AAA they come out an hour later and test the battery. The tech' tells me the battery has a good charge in factbetter than a new one he has on his truck and then gives me the print out of the diagnostic and says show Lexus if they don't belive you. So call rep' again for the 9th time in 2 days only to get his voice mail for the 9th time ( they're call system is obnoxiously frustrating) I leave a message and get a call at 5:30, I explain my situation he responds how long did it sit because it may be holding a decent charge after only sitting a short while.

So I still have my light issue (which went out 2 minutes after I pulled out as i noticed it in the reflection of a black truck in front of me) and now all my warning lights are stuck on..............

Any good ideas which direction i should go in now?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this ran on and on I cant paraphrase for ish obviously...
Old 12-15-12, 03:10 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find another Lexus dealer. I had a recurring issue with my ES350. After three failed attempts with the selling dealer, I took it to another local Lexus dealer. It took them several tries as well but they finally got it right.

I also suggest you take photographs of the warning lights on and the headlight off to document the issue and them to the service writer.
Old 12-15-12, 03:35 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

oh man..that sux...yeah find a new dealer. .but I always laugh at the cost for a headlight bulb when you can get a new pair of oem bulbs for $75 or less online..what a friggin joke
Old 12-15-12, 07:40 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Haole702
So last week I posted a thread " Am i covered" in which I recieved very useful info' from members and moderators alike; Thanks again!
It was in reference to my headlight going out a random times. So I decided to bring it to Lexus of Las Vegas after my service rep'/mgr advised the bulb was not under warrenty but the balast was if that was the case, however he was going to bat for me as I've only owned it a short time to see if they would cover the bulb replacement charge of $260.00. So I drop it off at 10:30 and @ 5:00 I get a call from my rep' explaining they needed the car overnight as they could not get the light to go out/off.
The folowing day at 12:00 my rep reaches me explaining they still could not get the light to go off, I had also told them to try driving around not just waiting in the service bay for it to happen. He continues that they tried that to no avail, however after topping off my fluids and checking my battery they noticed it had a low charge and explained that that might be the problem that the balast may not be getting enough juice to keep the light on. I told him the baterry was replaced in march and is still under warrenty and that I;d be down to drop off the loaner and pick up my LS.

Upon arrival my rep' advises that my warning lights are on, due to the battery issue and that when I replace the battery they should go off. So i go home and call AAA they come out an hour later and test the battery. The tech' tells me the battery has a good charge in factbetter than a new one he has on his truck and then gives me the print out of the diagnostic and says show Lexus if they don't belive you. So call rep' again for the 9th time in 2 days only to get his voice mail for the 9th time ( they're call system is obnoxiously frustrating) I leave a message and get a call at 5:30, I explain my situation he responds how long did it sit because it may be holding a decent charge after only sitting a short while.

So I still have my light issue (which went out 2 minutes after I pulled out as i noticed it in the reflection of a black truck in front of me) and now all my warning lights are stuck on..............

Thanks in advance and sorry if this ran on and on I cant paraphrase for ish obviously...
Go to lexus of henderson. They've treated me well.
Old 12-15-12, 08:17 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also go back to your original dealer and "ask" them if you should call Lexus Corporate to tell them your dealer can't fix your problem and what should you do?
Many bonuses are paid on customer satisfaction and if they don't provide for you, it'll hurt their pocketbook. 'Betcha you get your issue solved very quickly.
Old 12-15-12, 09:05 AM
jmcraney

Received 272 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Haole702

Wow, I know this kind of situation can be frustrating. Your headlight issue and the warning lights are probably unrelated problems, but just in case they are you should try to deal with the warning lights first. It is certainly possible that the warning lights coming on is related to a defective battery. The easiest path for dealing with that is to just replace the battery. Go to an Interstate Battery dealer, or a Sears (Diehard) dealer and get a new battery for $95-$125. Then if the warning lights issue occurs again go back to Lexus and tell them the battery is new.

Here is a link to the Interstate Batteries web site to help you locate a dealer: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/

Here is a link to Sears Automotive web site to help you find them: http://www.sears.com/automotive/v-1020005

Other batteries with good ratings are, NAPA, Everstart, Duralast and Autocraft.

Batteries sometimes have defects that are intermittent and difficult to detect, requiring several days of testing to isolate. Because of time constraints, yours and the cost of labor, it is best to just get a new battery. When you get a replacement battery from one of these major suppliers you will not get any pushback for replacement if you think there is a problem in the future and they are equipped to extensively test your battery.

The headlight problem is probably related to “end-of-life cycling.” A discussion of that problem is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-back-on.html

A possible solution for the headlight is to go to a Toyota dealer, point to the problem light, and ask how much to replace the bulb. If the price fits then have them do it – their parts and labor are less than a Lexus dealer. Then if there is a problem, go back to the Lexus dealer.

If you want to change the bulb as a DIY project I am sure CJITTY can advise you. He is a great source of information on things like that.

If you continue to have a battery problem, it may be related to the door sensor switch for the driver’s door. The solution for that is to just replace the switch.
Old 12-15-12, 01:22 PM
Haole702
Rookie

I just called the dealership asked for the Service Director explained my issues, the fact that I brought it with one issue and left without success and more issues and if they can't help me that I would then call corporate to advise that the dealer that was "so intent" during the sale over the vehicle, but is less than now that I have service issues. Amazing that his tone completly changed and that they will do whatever it takes even if that includes buying the battery for me. Which was my 2nd option, just to f' it and pay for a new battery and if the light was still going out to get reimbused for the battery and the charge of installing a new bulb.

Thanks again CL memebers and moderators, it's refreshing that one can reach out anonymously and get useful advice from others!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-12, 04:05 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
oh man..that sux...yeah find a new dealer. .but I always laugh at the cost for a headlight bulb when you can get a new pair of oem bulbs for $75 or less online..what a friggin joke
You've stated this more than once but I have yet to see a DIY write-up on this 'easy' repair.
Old 12-15-12, 05:43 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
You've stated this more than once but I have yet to see a DIY write-up on this 'easy' repair.
he never said anything about a repair instead get a new pair for under 75 bucks!!!! cant repair a bad bulb cost effective wise..
Old 12-15-12, 09:07 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextrician
he never said anything about a repair instead get a new pair for under 75 bucks!!!! cant repair a bad bulb cost effective wise..
exactly...thanks for that. I have done diys but not for headlight bulbs..find a tech smoking or surfing **** on his phone out back of the dealership..give them a $20 and they can throw those lights you bought online in less than 15 min by feel after pulling thr fender liner back...they do it on cars all day..I am making this sound easy..but this is America. .it all about the hookup..I have the pleasure of never worrying about headlight bulbs again #600LEDs
Old 12-17-12, 10:15 PM
Haole702
Rookie

So.......... I bring my car back, they finally find the bullb to go out, and when the Service Dir' calls me it's $400 plus?! I responded 'you guys are gonna have to figure something out considering you quoted me $ 260 (which is high), but that's why I decided to bring it back, 'cause I've only had the expense of 2 oil changes since I purchased it (both @ Toyota)'. I pick it up tomorrow, we shall see exactly what the charges are then.
Old 12-18-12, 07:52 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
You have to remove the wheels and then the fender lining to replace the bulbs. This is how the service manual shows replacing the bulbs, use a flat head to remove the liner tabs. You can do it, might take you 20 mins ea. or less. But you can turn the wheel pull the liner back and reach in to replace them if you have done this before as well.

Last edited by Tee; 12-18-12 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-18-12, 08:50 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextrician
Repair in this case is replacement - duh. No need to be so obtuse.

Originally Posted by Tee
You have to remove the wheels and then the fender lining to replace the bulbs. This is how the service manual shows replacing the bulbs, use a flat head to remove the liner tabs. You can do it, might take you 20 mins ea. or less. But you can turn the wheel pull the liner back and reach in to replace them if you have done this before as well.

That's what I'm talkin' about - thanks, Tee!
Old 12-18-12, 01:07 PM
Haole702
Rookie

Anyway.............car is done they covered labor cost and battery is fine. On to the next one..............
Thanks again CL!
Old 12-18-12, 02:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like you went to Bell Lexus' sister dealership. LOL They dont know their *** from their elbow