LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS 600HL Starting battery - to replace or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 12:57 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08 LS 600HL Starting battery - to replace or not?

I have a 08 ls 600 HL.
The dealer says battery is in good condition but I am not sure I want to keep the battery for longer than 5 years.. Not worth the headache if it does not start at the wrong time.

Typically, is the dealer's diagnostic print out of the batter condition, reliable?
How long do these last? Have any of you with the LS 600 had battery failures? I am in wisconsin.

Have any of you replaced the battery yourselves? Someone said that disconnecting and replacing the battery might cause certain electronics to reset their memory. Is that true?

Thank you.

Edited 8-18-13:
The replacement from sewell in dallas is much cheaper - like $450 or so.. update: sewell cannot ship anymore.. their website was incorrect for shipping charges of $10! it costs them $120.. Also, local lexus dealer is quoting only $400 now.. Vs more in the past..

Last edited by lexus600hl; 08-18-13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 02:19 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master Tech here, If the battery print out looks good and healthy, and is no where near the replacement mark, then I would have no problem driving the vehicle. Just make sure that the test slip that you received is that of a genuine Lexus/Toyota tester, as it has the stock CCA built into it. If if is, it will have your make and model on the test slip, otherwise the tech could just be guessing.

The auxiliary battery on those vehicles can last a very long time as the only thing they have to do is keep the vehicle's memory when turned off, uses the smart key function, and connects the relays that connect the hybrid battery to the rest of the vehicle
Old 08-01-13, 10:50 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The starting battery doesn't get the same use as a regular battery that requires the cold cranking amps to start the car. If they said it's ok i'd go with that.
Old 08-02-13, 01:24 AM
LXurious
Advanced

They said mine was ok after 5 years and 1 time (that I know of personally) it dying from leaving the car on, but I still took the initiative to replace it anyways. You can find a nice optima for half of the OEM battery and much better specs. Im running a Non-OEM battery and after market sound with no issues
Old 08-02-13, 05:27 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotADouche
Lexus Master Tech here, If the battery print out looks good and healthy, and is no where near the replacement mark, then I would have no problem driving the vehicle. Just make sure that the test slip that you received is that of a genuine Lexus/Toyota tester, as it has the stock CCA built into it. If if is, it will have your make and model on the test slip, otherwise the tech could just be guessing.

The auxiliary battery on those vehicles can last a very long time as the only thing they have to do is keep the vehicle's memory when turned off, uses the smart key function, and connects the relays that connect the hybrid battery to the rest of the vehicle
I am referring to the battery that is like the typical car battery, in the trunk of the car. Is it not this battery which starts the car? Some one told me that this is the battery which actually turns the engine on/off. Not correct?
Also, while changing the battery, do we have to like keep power always on.. such as connecting them both in parallel to keep the electronics on standby powered up and then switch between the two?
Old 08-02-13, 05:29 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LXurious
They said mine was ok after 5 years and 1 time (that I know of personally) it dying from leaving the car on, but I still took the initiative to replace it anyways. You can find a nice optima for half of the OEM battery and much better specs. Im running a Non-OEM battery and after market sound with no issues
can you please provide the details of the optima battery? did you replace it yourself?
Old 08-02-13, 05:31 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Please clarify "1 time it dying from leavign car on". You mean you left the car on, like overnight and it died? What happened when it died? Did the car not start?
Old 08-02-13, 06:34 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
I am referring to the battery that is like the typical car battery, in the trunk of the car. Is it not this battery which starts the car? Some one told me that this is the battery which actually turns the engine on/off. Not correct?
Also, while changing the battery, do we have to like keep power always on.. such as connecting them both in parallel to keep the electronics on standby powered up and then switch between the two?
Yes, the one that looks like a typical car battery is the auxiliary battery. The hybrid battery actually starts the car, the auxiliary battery just connects the relays that allow the hybrid battery to work. It is a completely different battery than a regular lead-acid battery though.

When charging the battery, just turn the vehicle off as you normally would, and connect the charger, and charge at the absolute lowest rate possible. If the auxiliary battery is charged too quickly, hydrogen gas could give off too quickly, and it has the possibility of exploding.
Old 08-02-13, 08:54 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Interesting about the Optima..I notice my trunk battery has an additional wire connection but not sure what that is for and if aftermarket battery had that same connection?

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-03-13, 06:07 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Yes, the one that looks like a typical car battery is the auxiliary battery. The hybrid battery actually starts the car, the auxiliary battery just connects the relays that allow the hybrid battery to work. It is a completely different battery than a regular lead-acid battery though.

When charging the battery, just turn the vehicle off as you normally would, and connect the charger, and charge at the absolute lowest rate possible. If the auxiliary battery is charged too quickly, hydrogen gas could give off too quickly, and it has the possibility of exploding.
You are a lexus master technician, yes? I thought my dealer said that it is the battery in the trunk, which starts the car. You are confirming that the battery in thet trunk is only for accessories, yes? In which case, this battery would probably last 7 or 8 years.. Anyway, if I ever decide to change it myself - is there any risk of losing memories or key fob settings etc, if I disconnect the battery, while swapping or do I have to keep it powered with a 2nd battery even while swapping?

Last edited by lexus600hl; 08-04-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 02:29 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
Please clarify "1 time it dying from leavign car on". You mean you left the car on, like overnight and it died? What happened when it died? Did the car not start?
I left the car on with my aftermarket sound in the parking lot for an extended period of time and it died requiring a jump start from AAA. After 5 years and that normally a battery would not be at 100% yet Lexus said it was which may or may not be true, but I took things into my own hands. The OEM battery was very good regardless I just wanted more, but I did not go Optima I went Die Hard from sears. The optima had higher CCA but still less RC than the die hard, both had more CCA then the OEM panasonic battery so the only thing I cared for was RC for my aftermarket sound

Last edited by LXurious; 08-04-13 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 10:32 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I left the car on with my aftermarket sound in the parking lot for an extended period of time and it died requiring a jump start from AAA. After 5 years and that normally a battery would not be at 100% yet Lexus said it was which may or may not be true, but I took things into my own hands. The OEM battery was very good regardless I just wanted more, but I did not go Optima I went Die Hard from sears. The optima had higher CCA but still less RC than the die hard, both had more CCA then the OEM panasonic battery so the only thing I cared for was RC for my aftermarket sound
I am a bit confused here. notadouche says he is a lexus master tech and says that this battery in the trunk does not start the car but is only meant for powering up electronics. You say you needed a jump start. Obviously, you are correct.. because you actually needed a jump start. My dealer also said that this is the battery which starts the car. You sent to sears and had them just replace your battery? How much did it cost and what model is it? Can you please provide details - so that I also can have the same battery installed?
As someone else asked.. what did they do with the third wire at the battery? (I think it has to do with battery temp).
Also, there is a vent tube for the existing panasonic. Would the die hard need it? I think die hard is a sealed battery, yes?
I went to sears online and they suggest this battery: DieHard Gold Automotive Battery - Group Size 27F (Price with Exchange)
Sears Item# 02833128000 | Model# 33128
At $119, its cheap.. I would have it installed, if you say that not using the 3rd wire was not a problem. Did you have Sears install he battery?
Thanks

Last edited by lexus600hl; 08-04-13 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 10:35 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Read lxurious's comment.. His aux battery died and he needed a jump start. How can you say that the aux battery doesn't start the car. Actually, my dealer said that the aux battery is the one which starts the car. You claim to be a lexus master tech - are you? Are you sure about your posting?

Last edited by lexus600hl; 08-04-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 10:16 PM
LXurious
Advanced

I honestly dont know what they did with the 3rd wire I was unaware it had one they just switched it out for about 130 after labor no issues what so ever and very quickly. That is the battery I have.
Old 08-18-13, 07:30 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I honestly dont know what they did with the 3rd wire I was unaware it had one they just switched it out for about 130 after labor no issues what so ever and very quickly. That is the battery I have.
lxurious, could you please help the rest of us who want to follow your route? On the left side of your trunk, you can simply pull the cover out and you will see the battery. Could you check as to what they did with the 3rd wire? Because.. I asked my dealer to install a non lexus/panasonic battery. They said they typically use interstate batteries for Lexus and they installed an interstate battery.. but that caused a warning light in the dash (not sure which one) and they had to swapt it back to the old panasonic - they said that the panasonic tested out fine and that I didn't need a new battery.. I dislike having a 5 year old battery.. Can you please look at what they did with the 3rd wire? How come you don't have the warning lights?
update: I just disconnected the 3rd wire from the panasonic. Started the car and PCS warning light came up. "Check hybrid system" warning came up. I disconnected the batter and reconnected everything and the lights went away. I checked the resistance of the "third wire" harness. It showed 1.94 K ohms resistance. Did they close the circuit of the 3rd wire harness in your car - with a jumper wire, for example? Could you please check? Because if they left the 3rd wire harness circuit open, you would have gotten the warning lights. Thanks!

Last edited by lexus600hl; 08-18-13 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 08 LS 600HL Starting battery - to replace or not?