LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Window Regulator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 07:14 PM
lebthree
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Regulator Problem

I have a 1998 LX470 which is making a popping noise when the driver's window dropped. Lexus dealer indicated that the regulator connects to a metal bracket which is bonded to the window glass and that the bonding has failed thus loosening the connection between the window and the regulator. Apparently it cannot be re-bonded. In searching the forum on this issue I noted that some others have had a similar problem. I would be interested in how many others have had this problem.

This has become an issue as it is a certified vehicle and Lexus is contending that as the metal bracket comes attached to the glass and cannot be purchased separately. As a result, the warranty group contends that it is not covered due the fact that glass and trim are items excluded from warranty coverage. I told them that this is not trim and neither the glass nor the bracket was the problem. When I told them that it is the adhesive which is the problem and adhesive is not an excluded item under the warranty, they indicated that it is still not covered as fasteners are also excluded. I am a board certified consumer lawyer and am not impressed with their argument. “Fastener” is a term normally associated with screws, bolt, rivets, etc. and is different from an “adhesive”.

I am interested in how Lexus has treated others with this issue and whether the failed adhesive is a common occurrence. I don't want to litigate this minor matter, but I also don't like to see them try to take advantage of me or anyone else by stretching their exclusions beyond credibility. Its just not right.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.