LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

QX vs. LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04, 03:19 PM
2k2Lx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tigmd99

BTW, you won't see me sitting with my LX with 20" spinner rims at the local mall or soccer field. Have a good time there. [/B]
No he'll have 22's.

Old 02-26-04, 06:47 AM
Milla...

I'm sitting here looking at that picture above of the Nissan, I don't know if its me or not but It looks as though theres two different vehicles connected together. From the back door foward then from the back door rearward. The difference in door handles really marks the line of demarcation and if thats not enough the curve of the roof line stops midway ahhh I'm confused the thing is just a monstrosity to me.

Last edited by Milla...; 02-26-04 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 06:53 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

2k2lx470,

Good one!! LOL!!

tigmd99,

You don't know what you are talking about in the sense that you haven't driven a QX, I have. You don't own an LX and I do. You've said the LX is capable and that's about it. You say the LX is selling well. Colorado is where 4x4's have a tremendous market. Two Lexus dealers I've talked to say they sell only a few handfulls of LXs a year. The GX is the one that's selling well. In 2002 Lexus sold 6,603 LXs and Toyota sold 4,738 Land Cruisers. This is compared to 85,942 Highlanders and 54,469 RXs. I'm sure you almost got a 2003 in December for a little over invoice. Don't you see that that just makes my argument? Most vehicles that are selling well don't have 2003s around in December of 2003. Hell, you could have probably got a better deal than that!!!! I think Bearcat and I were referring to current year models and not holdovers. Bearcat seems to know a lot about Lexus vehicles. The new RX is REAL nice. Lexus hit a homerun there. I think they sold more RXs at one time than all other models of Lexus combined. That's good business. You told Bearcat that he wouldn't have a clue about the capabilities of an LX because he doesn't own one, but yet you are an expert and you don't own one either. Seems your hipocracy knows no bounds!! Yeah, BOSE must suck in all vehicles. It's only one of the most popular premium stereo brands sought after by fine automobile makers. The fact that Toyota has not made plans to make a new LX has nothing to do with it selling well. IMO it has to do with the fact of synchronizing the LX platform with the Sequoia platform. The Sequoia is not due for redesign yet.

I think it's great you like to go offroading and I don't know where the 20" spinner rims reference came from, but I certainly won't be having any spinners on any vehicle I own. I will just agree to disagree with you. I've had a couple of differing opinions with people at CL before, but never have had someone take the low road as you did. My original intent was of concern for Lexus and the fact that companies like Infiniti are making products that are a very serious threat. Everybody here has worked their a-- off to be able to afford such fine automobiles and I hate to see a company like Lexus get too comfortable. I do think Infinit's reliability is set in stone and the fact that you said in your own post that most of their platforms are NEW is why they are becoming a force to be reckoned with. The QX will do 150% of what the LX will do on road and 90% of what it will do offroad for a lot less. I don't want to hear any more of your ridiculous CAPABLE statements and name calling. You certainly have not said many things that even merit a response. Although they were good for some laughs. Good luck to you with your new LX. When Lexus does a redesign, I'll be the first one to test drive it. Until then, they can watch the LX sales drop and the QX take over in that segment. Thanks to all...even you tigmd99!!!

Doc C
Old 02-26-04, 11:21 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Doc,

Hmm, let's see...i have off-roaded with my brother's 2001 LX470...i have driven it quite often. Yeah, you're right, i don't have much experience with it!

I am confused...in Colorado, LX are not selling well, BUT dealers are charging MSRP or higher??!! That's odd.

For my case, it was the only LX on the lot back in 12/03. And they offered $4100 above invoice in the last month of the year.

I don't think that the LX is ever meant to be sold in large quantities like the RX and GX. The same reason why Infiniti is able to sell a ton of G35, but only a few of Q45...the Q45 was never meant to sell at large volumes (of course, it's not selling at all!). You ALSO have to look at PRODUCTION NUMBERS.

Hmm, at the end of 2003, when i was looking for the LX, there were plenty of GS, SC, and GX around. That does not mean much. If you go to Infiniti dealership, then you would see a lot of G35, Q45, M45, etc. around the lot too. Yet, the G35's were selling really well. Again, PRODUCTION NUMBERS.

BOSE sought after?? It's cheap...that's why it's on every brandname. Let's see...Mercedes used to have BOSE on all of their models. What do new Mercedes have?? That's right...Harmon/Kardon Logic7. What does the new Acura TL have nowadays?? Nope, no more BOSE. There goes your argument! Just wait, over the next few years, BOSE will be seen only on lower-priced models. The higher-end models will have something else (Harmon Kardon, ML, etc.).

BTW, if you think that i don't know much about what i am talking about or SUVs, please visit my forum.

No, Doc, i am not a hypocrit...i know what i am talking about. I have taken the LX off the pavement. At least, i took the time to look at the Q56 brochure. YOU have not even driven your LX over an ant hill!! At least, try the LX over uneven terrain and then see if you don't appreciate it more! It's interesting that you buy a very CAPABLE SUV, and then turn around and blast it for not having a power rear hatch and cursing it for it's capability!!!

No, thank you for showing me that i need to get the LX ASAP or else consumers like you will make all SUVs into minivans. I am too late as it is.

Thai.
Old 02-26-04, 01:50 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Have you driven a QX?? Do you own an LX??? Well, I guess you are an expert. At least you read the brochure. Glad your brother can provide you with an LX to drive. You have no idea what I have and haven't done in my LX. I've driven to the top of 3 of Colorado's 14,000 peaks in it. It's great offroad. I've never said it wasn't. We're getting a Defender 90 for more of that. You continue to speculate and make an a-- of yourself. Stick to what you do know. I can only tell you what the dealers here charge and what they've told me. Ask them what the deal is. Should have taken the leftover '03 LX in December. That was a good deal. It's okay there will be a LOT of leftover '04 LXs in December of this year. You can get one then. I did look at production numbers and the reason they don't produce as many is because they aren't selling well. If they were selling well at current poduction numbers, there would be a LONG waiting list because demand would be outpacing supply. There is no such list. My point is that profits are made in the RXs of the world. Not in catering to you. Lexus has to get a $12,000-14,000 markup on the LXs because it doesn't sell well. Move less units, make more profit per unit. To equip an LX like a QX would push the price ridiculously high. 95% of buyers don't care that the suspension of the LX can conquer offroad. Not to mention the rear setup is similar to that of a Conestoga wagon. I understand the live axle is better offroad than the 4 wheel independent of the QX.

As I said before. I like forums that provide debate without people like you personalizing everything and throwing insults and names. I also said I agree to disagree. I have not appreciated your tone or your assumptions and I apologize to other members for this thread that turned into a litany of tigmd99's factless, sophomoric, diatribes that are not productive or useful. I also apologize if I've upset anyone. I was hoping for a discussion on 1. comparing two competing vehicles 2. wanting to get Lexus to be the company they were when they introduced the LX and come out with something that is the BEST SUV on the planet like it was at that time. I know Lexus will do a good job on the new LX or VX or whatever name they put on it. Their product cycle has been too long to keep up with competitors. I think we all agree on that. Not tigmd99 though. It's better to have something out of date and overpriced to meet 5% of the buying public's wishes. I know Lexus won't do that. I hope the moderator will close this thread because it's no longer productive. I also hope tigmd99 can learn to be more objective and not be so emotional and combative in future posts. I've never dealt with another CL forum member that was as low class as he. Maybe someday he'll actually own a Lexus!!!! Good day to all.
Old 02-26-04, 02:24 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Doc, weren't you assuming things about me too??? Hmm, that's strange.

BTW, here in houston, TX, all the dealers are out of LX's (3 of them close to each other). I am currently on a waiting list for '04 with Nightvision (which i intend to use on the country roads). If you want, i can give them their phone numbers and you can ask them personally...or just use LEXUS.COM and find dealers in Houston, TX.

Answer me this...why does the Infiniti Q45 sale BELOW invoice?? Yet, the LX sale near MSRP. I would love to hear your theory.

Tell me how are you getting a Defender 90?? Where?? I assume a used one. Why not just get a Wrangler Rubicon?? Can you tell me your reasoning...from one off-roader to another. Thanks. Oh yeah, what is the size of the differential on the Defender 90???? How does that compare to Dana 60?? Thanks again.

Ohhh, now, you're acting like a grown-up! Good for ya!! More power to you!

Comparing the two vehicles?? Crap, from the very beginning, all i read were NEGATIVE comments about the LX and praises for the Q56. That's comparing???!!!

I know Lexus will build the next LX like what you want...that is why i am getting the current model.

So, now you're asking to close this thread because we're arguing over the virtues of LX?? How sensitive are you??!!! I should stop...you're gonna cry soon, aren't ya?!

Thai.

Last edited by tigmd99; 02-26-04 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 03:47 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I personally have a hard time believing why anyone would ever purchase a vehicle when a completely new model is coming soon, especially when you are spending $72k. These people must have money to throw away because there will be a large dip inresale of the old style once the new ones arrive. Like doc and myself have said before, the LX is a great vehicle, but no greater than the QX. If comparing spec in all areas, no doubt the QX would win. Or as Car and Driver would put the LX in the "Value" category...probably a 5/10, and the QX would be either 8 or 9.
Old 02-27-04, 12:29 PM
tabraha
Driver

OK, my measly $.02 on QX vs. LX. Apples to Oranges IMO, repeat, IMO. Here are some of the points that were interesting factors to me. Please don't be offended by any of my observations, no offense is intended.

The QX is to me more of a competitor to the Expeditions, Sequoias, and Yukons/Cadillacs. Just a few observations: I would venture to say that if you like the QX, the Sequoia would be a better fit or maybe even the GX470 although it's a little short on size rather than an LX. All of the comparable vehicles mentioned in the previous sentence are "trendy" 'utes. The manufacturers keep their ears to the ground and add all of the bells and whistles that people can dream up. When was the last time people were able to use cruise control on a public road? Nevermind that, lets give'em a truck with laser guidance. I can tell that you are at least aware of the heritage of the Land Cruiser platform by your comments of not needing the off-road prowess of the LX and are not interested in that heritage and ability by displaying blindingly keen interest in the bells and whistles of the QX and how superior these trinkets are. That's perfectly normal, but it sounds to me like you are willing to add on $500 for a $10 camera so you won't back into a wall but won't pay thousands to have a vehicle that will be with you long term and can get you anywhere if need be. If you're not willing to pay that then you are looking at the wrong vehicle, don't fault the vehicle. Also, the LX has that prowess and durability as standard; it's not optional like the aforementioned $500 camera hence one reason that markup that is so bad on the LX. If you don't like it then don't buy it, that's been Toyota's strategy since the inception of the 'Cruiser SUV and has contributed immensly to it's perception among it's peers. If you're not looking long term then that's all well and good; I agree that a QX would be a very good 5 year 100,000 mile vehicle for highway use. I must revisit my point about the LX being designed to do so much more than preventing you from backing into a pole while listening to a "superior" "blows" I mean Bose, radio. I will venture to say though that the next generation LX/VX will be right down your alley with the news we've been hearing. It will not be nearly as rugged nor capable, but will have many modernizations to replace that ability with.

I wanted a LC or an LX because they are what they are, purpose built , rugged, durable vehicles designed with less compromises in manufacturing than most vehicles. The LC is one of VERY few vehicles that does not share a chasis with a PICKUP TRUCK FOR GOD's SAKE! Unfortunately that is soon to change with the rumored VX using the sequoia frame. I'm sure Toyota will do a fine job when that time comes but still, it will be compromised more than a body and frame being built solely for each other.

The QX looks like a good vehicle and I am sure it is a good vehicle but there will never be a QX built with the longevity of any generation LC or LX. This is not a debatable, opiniative statement. Anyone who is interested in automotive quality knows of the LC in this respect. The quality control and over-engineering is so redundant with this make of vehicle are un-matched to this day. This is evidenced by the 80 series land cruisers that are still so very desireable a decade later.
Old 02-27-04, 02:53 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think it is very interesting to know that when we are all driving new Lexus and Infiniti vehicles in the year 2025, you will still be driving you 2000 LX. But that makes sense, because just as you said, after the LX470 is gone, it's all downhill from there....
Old 02-27-04, 03:01 PM
tigmd99
Racer

The LX470 will be Toyota last great SUV...an SUV that can do it all exceptionally well.
Old 02-28-04, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Has anyone actually sat inside the QX56? It is like a Japanese Escalade, big grill, big SUV, sorely lacking in details. The interior alone is horrendous for a vehicle costing over 50k. They just slap wood anywhere inside. The interior is identical to the Armada, and while the Landcruiser is the perfect starting point for the LX, the Armanda interior is horrible too.

Then, unless you have money to blow, I would never recommend buying an Infiniti new. Their re-sale value is horrendous. A 1 or 2 year old QX will probably be a sub 40k vehicle.

The LX has won every comparison in multiple magazines it's been in. Add top notch reliability and dealer service and you have a total winner.

Infiniti did a fabulous job with the G35s and even the FXs but the M45 and QX56 just leaves me scratching my head.
Old 02-28-04, 10:56 AM
2k2Lx470
Driver School Candidate

The q56 has some of the best materials made up in the interior with its sojourn leather seats, genuine Dark Macore or Blonde Apaya wood trim trim and and is very plush and is no way horrendous. While it shares resemblence to the Armada's interior the two trucks have totally different materials. In my opinion it is on par with my lx470 interior or even better not to mention its abundance of leg room even in the 3rd row surpassing all Suv's in headroom and legroom. Some people prefer to drink tea and some prefer to drink coffee. I like both. The q56 is far better looking in my opinion as well and with its big v8 390lbs of torque this truck gets 0-60 at about 7secs making it the fastest suv on the block. The Lx470's acceleration is good but it doesnt do it for me. The q56 is hands down the best suv all around in attributes and is very attractive.

Last edited by 2k2Lx470; 02-28-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-28-04, 07:35 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Went and drove new LX today. It seemed quicker than last '04 I drove awhile back. It is vault quiet. Mine was too when new. It's still very quiet. Hard to compare with QX noise-wise. I would say LX is a little more quiet, although wind was blowing a lot the day I drove QX. No question it is a fantastic vehicle. I've said that in every one of my posts. Never had a knock against the LX. My knock was against Lexus the company for letting this great platform get so dated before replacement. Others on this forum have expressed some disappointment in the delay as well. Tigmd99 has trouble with reading comprehension, so I wanted to say a few things again that he can't seem to understand. Never said Bose was better than ML. Bose in QX is WAY better than Nakamichi in my current LX. I have a ML in my SC430. Best stereo there is, no question. Are you understanding this, tigmd99?? LX good, Mark Levinson good, QX nice, Lexus company disappointing where new LX concerned.

Defender 90?? I was interested in one. Have been for awhile. Didn't you know they don't sell D90 new here anymore?? Of course it was used. I have some concerns about D-90 reliability. I took your suggestion. I went and drove a Jeep Rubicon. Not bad. Lot of wind noise, but hardtop should help that. Might consider Rubicon or new Wrangler Unlimited. Thanks for the tip. I don't plan on putting any axle or suspension upgrades on Rubicon if I get it. It has Dana 44s standard, I believe. The first gear has a 4.02:1 ratio. It felt like it could climb a tree. I can't remember, but I think it has 31 inch tires. I never said I was a hard core offroader like you in Houston. I have done some offroading, but nothing requiring winches or heavy mods. My LX did fine the few times we've taken it on some moderate off road areas. I believe you said that my experience was limited to anthills. I hope this clarifies that to you. The size of a D90 differential? Don't know. Don't care. Do you know the diameter of the **** on the shifter of an LX that takes it from 4LO to 4HI?? You probably don't know exactly. You could measure it I guess, or look it up, but as long as it works when you shift it, it really doesn't matter. The frequency of your cell phone? As long as you can make a phone call that is satisfactory, it really is irrelevant. If you don't know the frequency, it doesn't mean you don't know how to use a cell phone. Can you understand this okay? Jeep nice, Thanks for tip, not hardcore offroader, D90 questionable reliability,.

As I've said before, I think I certainly have tried to be "grown up" as you put it. Why doesn't Lexus make the new LX like the current one?? If they would option it out like competitors, and make it more roomy with more power and the same offroad capability at a competitive price, I'd be the first in line. I certainly understand the long wonderful history of the LC line. If you had read my posts in this forum, you'd understand (possibly) that using the Sequoia platform as it currently is would be the worst possible scenario. If they do that, or even use a NEW Sequoia platform similar to what it is and use it, then make pricing in the $52-55K range, what will that do to your resale value on your LX?? I think it will destroy it. The QX or Armada blow the Sequoia ( in current form) out of the water, and the GX is a WAY under-sized comparison. From my first post, I said that I want nothing more than to have a new LX that has all the CAPABILITY(you like that word a lot) of the current model with the options, space, and power of competitors. Even if they did that and had no price increase from the current model, it would probably be worth it.

I've never ran down the LX. Did I mention I own an LX and that it's been one of the greatest cars I've owned? I am a little steamed at Lexus for not freshening their product and keeping up with current power,option, and pricing trends. The LX was WAY above competition when introduced in all of these categories although the HP could have been a little better.

I still refuse to respond to your low class comments. I'm guess I am sensitive to the fact that someone like you will be owning a Lexus. Most Lexus owners and forum participants have a class and style that's not seen on other forums. We can disagree without launching personal comments, or making assumptions that have nothing to do with our discussion about the automobiles we love. I hope you finally can get an LX. Maybe it will help elevate your Kia attitude. Go ahead and start your juvenile insults. They're humorous, if not original. Take care.

Doc C
Old 02-29-04, 08:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally posted by Milla...
I'm sitting here looking at that picture above of the Nissan, I don't know if its me or not but It looks as though theres two different vehicles connected together. From the back door foward then from the back door rearward. The difference in door handles really marks the line of demarcation and if thats not enough the curve of the roof line stops midway ahhh I'm confused the thing is just a monstrosity to me.
I don't know much about these 2 large SUV's, but I agree the new QX is probably the ugliest SUV in the market right now. But most people don't buy these for their looks anyway, so given all its features, the QX is probably the best buy.
Old 02-29-04, 01:29 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

When I first saw the SC430 in pics I wanted to puke. I saw one in person the first time and changed my mind completely. I bought it and have never had anyone say they didn't like the looks of it. I've heard some friends of mine say they hated it in photos at first though. I thought the QX was butt ugly in photos at first as well. It definitely looks WAY better in person than photos. It all depends on what you like. They did distinguish the styling from the Armada on the front and rear end nicely. The beauty part is certainly debatable. It's like Ginger vs. Mary Ann, or blondes vs. brunettes, chocolate vs. vanilla ice cream. I at least applaud Infiniti for some of their styling risks. Lexus has been criticized in the press a lot lately for milk toast play it safe styling. Same for Honda. The QX,Q, M, FX, G vehicles are all at least fresh designs. They are polarizing in the love it or hate it sense. I think the LS 430 is probably the BEST sedan on the market, but it's styling has evolved very little in its life span. They say the new LS in'06 or '07 will be radically different styling wise. BMW has taken a giant leap in its designs. Whether that leap is forward or off of a cliff is up to the buyer. I still think BMW makes a great vehicle quality wise even though I may not like their styling (except for the M3. It's still sharp looking IMO). I think the Q45 is fairly ugly, but I'm sure the mechanicals and performance are very good. We can debate styling forever. It's performance and mechanicals and function that are tangible and things that can be compared.
The LX470 pushed the envelope in styling for an SUV when introduced, just like the SC 300/400. The SC430 shows they can still come up with good stuff, and I'm sure they will on the new LX. It seems the mechanicals and performance should have been updated and freshened like on the other models.
Doc C

Quick Reply: QX vs. LX