LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

QX vs. LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 04:27 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Ahhh...MotorTrend seems to agree with me...LX is superior to QX! Who would have thought that i was right?!
Old 06-18-04, 11:38 AM
lange
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting read in the new Motor Trend...

I can not believe how much they did not like the QX. Besides the powertrain they were pretty negative on it.

The LX fared very well, especially considering that the same basic vehicle has been around for so long.
Old 06-18-04, 03:55 PM
LexFather

Looks like some of us should be writing for Motor Trend.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=123147
Lange, the results.
Old 06-19-04, 11:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Hello to everone here regarding this issue.
I was getting cross-eyed reading all these comments!!!
How's your family, Doc C? Have you made a purchase?
We don't need to persuade anyone's decision here, just give friendly opinion and personal experiences.

We test drove the QX56 and it wasn't that bad of an SUV at all. The salesman performed 2 impressive maneuvers on it. First, he cranked the wheel all the way and did 2 HARD donuts, CW and CCW. No extreme body lean at all. That was pretty amazing to show how stable this QX was!!! Another was driving really fast and slammmmmmming on the brake. No nose dive. Wow. The nice feature also was the 2nd +3rd row folding down. We liked that alot, b/c we do lots of hauling that could use the flat folding instead the crummy side flip seat orientation. Too bad Lexus isn't doing this!!! Fully loaded with reverse camera,back-up sensors, power lift gate, and all other goodies was close to the GX, MSRp. We were just looking, so we didn't play with any #. Yes, Lexus felt more luxurious and a little more "prestige", but didn't really care for that-much. My wife didn't feel too comfortable driving it b/c it was pretty big for her, instead of the GX.
Hybrid GX/LX is taking toooo long

My brother in law has a 98 QX4 with about 160k miles. NO problems at all, just a stuck sunroof around 30k. Other than that nothing at all. It sucks on gas for such a small Suv, bad towing capacity, and horrible torque ~ 160. Why the bad gas mileage when it can barely haul? At the time (98) that was the only decent import SUV, besides the dime-a-dozen Limited 4Runners. The RX didn't even come out yet, I believe. But he didn't like the shape of the RX when it was introduced anyway.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 06-19-04 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-19-04, 01:45 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by tigmd99
My G500 impressions:

1. It's about the size of my 4runner...only a lot taller!
2. Ground clearance is nothing to shout about...those big axle diffs hang low
3. Approach and departure angles are great
4. Exterior shape is cool for me...but strange for my friends...either love it or hate it
5. Interior is far inferior to LX...it's a C-class interior...for that much $$$, you would think that they would at least use the E-class interior!!
6. Leather is not soft (as in LX). Seats are european firm
7. Vertical space is tremendous, but shoulder room is narrow (again, similar to my 4runner)
8. Rear door opening is tight
9. Doors are heavy but does not close with a "thud" (probably due to weather stripping cushioning)
10. Interior sightlines are good...rear view is limited
11. Power windows are only power down...you have to hold the button to bring them back up (WTF)

Ride: firm, but surprisingly nimble...really!! I sped thru big speed bumps with no problem. The truck feels heavy...like a bank vault on wheels (like older Mercedes). You can feel the mass. Driving straight is good. When i attempted to drive on a twisty part of the on-ramp, the G500 sure showed it's weight...you can literally feel the truck sway from one side to the other...it's progressive, but you FEEL IT.

You sit WAY UP THERE. I mean, i was staring down at Explorers, Expeditions, etc..

Brakes...this is where i have a problem with. I am not sure if it was just this vehicle or all Mercedes have this problem. Note that G500 does NOT have senso-brake thingy that is on the newer Mercedes. Anyway, i cannot make a smooth stop if my life depended on it! As you slow down for a light, the brakes seem to clamp down all of a sudden...you lurch forward because it's unexpected. The salesman did not comment...he did not know what to say! It's weird.

Acceleration was decent...certainly nothing wow about it. The steering was heavy...i mean heavy! The accelerator pedal was also stiff. You really have to stomp the accelerator to make the tranny kick down a gear or two. I did not even bother with the manual shifting...i think that it's a dumb idea to have on a SUV.

Wind noise was pretty low. Road noise well supressed. Yes, wind noise was well controlled!!

The window reflections...that can be bothersome, especially at night. I wear a metal watch...so i see my watch in the driver's door window reflection constantly. I guess that i can get used to it.

I did not try any off-roading because i knew what it could do...and the salesman probably would not let me. Of all things, i forgot to try LOW range or the lockers. Dumb of me!!

BTW, it has only two airbags (fronts).

Why am i attracted to it?? It's old-school. It's made to be a bank vault...to last a very long time...old Mercedes tradition of build quality. It's a great off-roader that i can take to Big Bend (Texas), Moab, etc.. I can run over stuff and not worry about breaking anything. It is limited-production. Only Rubicon and G500 have lockers on the front and rear axles.

Sorry about the length.
Why not get a 97 FZJ80 Landcruiser with lockers? Built like a brick ***** house, one of the most dependable engines ever made and the FZJ80 is one of the best looking SUV's ever made. You could find a cherry one for around $20K and you could keep the other $50K in the bank. Put some OME Springs and shocks on the LC and it will go more places then the G500. You can't beat Toyota quality, Mercedes is rated below GM in the latest JD Powers. JMHO
Old 06-22-04, 09:10 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

GS3Tek,

Hello, thanks for asking. My family is good. My dad is doing much better, thank you. Yes, I did make a purchase. It's a completely different direction than I thought we'd ever go. In April I bought a new 2004 Acura NSX. So, my wife had much more input in the SUV purchase than she previously would have had. We went looking and she fell in love with a VW Touareg. It has a twin turbocharged V-10 diesel engine with 310 HP and 553 ft. lb. of torque. It has rear and center locking diffs and the air suspension like the LX. It can tow 7700 lbs. easily, so I should be able to haul the NSX to track etc. It has the Nappa leather seats which rival Lexus leather and a lot of nice features. The NAV system SUCKS in comparison to Lexus. The ride is suprisingly very quiet and smooth when the adjustable damper suspension is set to comfort. It will supposedly ford 22 inches of water and has a great acceleration. At 6,100 feet, the turbocharging is nice to have.
I was washing it in my garage the first day we had it. A guy stopped by in a Mitsu Montero diesel and couldn't get over it. He gushed over the thing. He said he hosts a TV show called 4x4 today or something like that on the Outdoor channel and that he has been trying to find the V-10 one of these for months. I was told by the dealer there were only 2 sent to Colorado this year, but you know how dealers are!! The TV guy went on to say that he thought it was one of the most capable SUVs made. I have my worries about reliability, but articles have said the V-10 in it is one of the best engines made. It will be the engine Audi puts in their new Pikes Peak. My wife really liked it and since I got to get the car I've wanted for awhile, I guess it's okay. Dealer said that with a chip in it, it would handle a Cayenne S in acceleration. They both stemmed from the same platform. It was more than a QX and a few thousand less than an LX, but the one in Denver went for $17K over sticker!!! That's crazy!! They wanted $8,500 over sticker where I got mine. we bought it at sticker. Now if I can just figure out how to say the damn name!!!!
Old 06-23-04, 07:43 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Doc, very cool ride. Both of them. I had a 1991 NSX when I lived in Atlanta (nice smooth roads and GREAT car). A retired MD where I workout just bought the diesel Touareg. Runs like a 60's muscle car. Enjoy!

PS make sure the dealership has someone trained to work on it before they touch it. Guess that applies to the NSX as well. The Acura dealer in Atlanta that I used had one guy that was trained to work on the NSX (great guy) loved the car and did a great job.
Old 06-23-04, 10:58 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Pitbull,

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, my wife definitely likes the power and acceleration of the Touareg over the LX. You should have hung on to your '91. Low mileage versions of those are still getting over $30K!! Take care.
Doc C
Old 06-23-04, 11:41 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Default Doc C

Did you look into installing the TRD supercharger on your LX? I just got a new LX, but haven't pursued the supercharger thing; I may, but I'm a little reluctant to do it without driving a vehicle that has it first.
Old 06-23-04, 02:18 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Doc C. It's great that the family is doing fine. Well, seems like everybody is happy, carwise. Now can see see some pix of the NSX- my somewhat affordable dream sports car.
Old 06-23-04, 03:18 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Doc C
Pitbull,

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, my wife definitely likes the power and acceleration of the Touareg over the LX. You should have hung on to your '91. Low mileage versions of those are still getting over $30K!! Take care.
Doc C
I know big mistake, I sold mine in 1996 with 28K miles on it for $32K. I've watched them over the years and now even NSX's with 60K-80K miles still go for $30K. I still have the presentation book that came with it. Everything was aluminum except the springs and the drive shafts. Titanium connecting rods are a nice touch and it is like maintaining a Honda. Best Exotic car you can own. I miss mine. I almost tryed to buy another one when I bought my wife a new Nissan 350Z, but she liked the looks of the Z, (what do women know ) Enjoy your NSX and don't sell it, someday they will quit making them.
Old 06-23-04, 08:57 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Never looked into the supercharger for the LX because of the exact same reason mentioned. I wanted to drive one that had it, and I didn't know anyone around that had one.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat having an NSX in this little town I live in. Then, one of my patients said he has a 2004 Porsche Carrera GT ordered!!!!!!! Yeah, that's right. The $460,000 V10 supercar. So, my NSX will be very mediocre compared to that. Oh well, it's been my dream car for years and I love it. I hated selling my SC 430, but I sure do like the NSX too. I just might post a pic. Just put 5th layer of Zaino on tonight.

Pitbull, rumor has it this is the last year of current model of NSX. They only sent 160 of them to the US this year. Mine's #68. New HSC or NSX should be amazing in '06, although rumors are all over the map on what it will be. I don't think I will sell this car....unless my patient would happen to want to swap the Carrera GT for the Touareg!!!!!! take care!!!!