LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Lexus LX450!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 05:32 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Lexus LX450!

Hey all,

I ran across a nice couple today who is driving a 1997 Lexus LX450. They were thinking of trading it in for a car-based SUV. Anyway, i talked with them and they showed me their LX. My knees wobble when i opened the driver's door...there it is...............a dial to the left of the steering wheel to activate the FRONT and REAR lockers!!! Tears of happiness ran down my face! Anyway, the couple does not even know how to use this contraption.

Just to remind the youngsters...the previous generation Land Cruiser was a mighty off-road vehicle. It has a torquey engine. SOLID AXLES FRONT AND REAR...and they are BIG axles! Of course, they also came with optional front and rear lockers. It's a rare find to see one with these lockers. Ground clearance = 10.8"!!

Today, ONLY 2 vehicles in the US that comes from factory with front and rear lockers...Jeep Rubicon and Mercedes G500.

The LX has about 100K miles. Fully loaded with all options. They are the only owners. The couple apparently has been taking it to Lexus for their services. Car is well-maintained from the looks of things. There's a small dent on the rear bumper due to their daughter's mishap with the trailer. Leather looks worn, but appropriate for a 100K mile car.

The trade-in price that they were offered is $14,500.

What do you guys think?? I gave the couple my phone number...hopefully, they will call me soon.
Old 02-16-04, 05:33 PM
tigmd99
Racer

A few questions:

1. Axles...are they full-floating?? What size are the front and rear diff axles??

2. Lockers...are they clutch-type or mechanical (like Detroit)??

3. Any particular weakness that i should look for when buying it?? (aka radiator, leaks, etc.)

4. Is the center diff viscous coupling or mechanical??

Thanks.
Old 02-18-04, 12:33 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The value of the rig -- the answer to the "is this a good price" really depends on where you live and the prices for similar vehicles in your area. I'm in California and that woul d be a pretty good deal in my part of the state.

I wouldn't worry about the dented rear bumper -- no biggie. Especially since you'll probably be upgrading the rear bumper if you plan on doing any real 4-wheeling; and it sounds like that's what you have planned.

As for your questions:
The axles are full floating on both the '96 and '97 LX 450 (the only years they made the 450). Don't know the size -- never mattered to me.

The lockers are electric. Center lock has a dog clutch. The lockers are nice. Be sure to test them during your test drive. You'll want to make sure they work. Since many people have no idea what they do, they've typically never been used. Find some loose gravel, put it into 4-low, once the center diff lock light stops flashing, turn the diff lock switch to set the rear lockers. You'll likely need to move to get the light to stop flashing (to show the locker has engaged). Then tturn the dial again to engage the front locker. DON'T DO THIS ON PAVEMENT. If you do, you could really cause some serious damage.

I haven't had problems with mine, but some have reported problems with leaking head gaskets. Take a look to see if you notice any coolant seepage. If it was pampered by the dealership, you probably don't have anything to worry about -- I assume they would've caught a potential head gasket problem.

The center diff? Viscous coupling.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Doug

Last edited by dougjohn; 02-18-04 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-18-04, 04:42 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Thanks, Doug!